Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Empty barrel or lack thereof.  (Read 787 times)

Arathanar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: mind-boggling awesomeness]
    • View Profile
Empty barrel or lack thereof.
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:28:38 am »

I recently enabled Brewing on my unskilled peasant. My knowledge of skills in general is rather poor, so I was honestly not expecting it to work.

However, instead of getting an error along the lines of not having the required skill, I apparently had no empty barrels.

I then crafted ~5 at my Carpenter's Workshop, and retried. Same problem.

Can anyone explain this? Is this a bug? Or is this the game's way of telling me I can't have a peasant brew drinks?
Urist, you can't go there! The ground is PURPLE!

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
Re: Empty barrel or lack thereof.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:33:35 am »

If you haven't been making barrels for a while, there's probably a backlog of things that your dwarves have been looking to put into barrels. Excess food and seeds mostly. Just make more of them. One thing you might want to do is set your seed stockpile to not take any barrels, it'll keep your dwarves from rushing the carpenters workshop with a single plump helmet spawn and making barrels useless.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:36:36 am by Airpi »
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 09:33:49 am »

Do you have a furniture stockpile near-by?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Arathanar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: mind-boggling awesomeness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 09:35:04 am »

If you haven't been making barrels for a while, there's probably a backlog of things that your dwarves having been looking to put into barrels. Excess food and seeds mostly. Just make more of them. One thing you might want to do is set your seed stockpile to not take any barrels, it'll keep your dwarves from rushing the carpenters workshop with a single plump helmet spawn and making barrels useless.

I think this was it. Around the seventh barrel, the brewing finally started. Thanks!
Urist, you can't go there! The ground is PURPLE!

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 02:46:19 pm »

For future reference, check the stockpile menu (p).  There will be options in there to reserve barrels and bins.  A reserved barrel will not be used for anything except workshop jobs that require a barrel.  Which is mostly just brewing.  The barrels can be moved into furniture stockpiles, but they'll still be available for brewing.  They won't be used for food or seeds.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 02:51:40 pm »

I want to point out that anyone can do anything.

A peasant can do everything, except swimming.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:24:20 pm »

<nods>

zactly.  Turn on any skill, and that dwarf will do it, just very poorly if they're unskilled.  You can train any dorf with any skill this way (eventually).

You had made some stockpiles (food or booze) that, by default, had reserved a number of barrels equal to their size.  10x10 food stockpile? another 5x10 booze stockpile? Please reserve the first 150 barrels HERE, k thx bb.

Reduce these by using <q> over them (and some other keys, forget - they're listed).  Same with other types of stockpiles and bins.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 05:49:32 pm »

heh, i remember when i was first starting out, i didn't realize yo could turn on any labor on any dwarf. I'd spend hours agonizing at the embark screen trying to make sure my original seven had skills in everyting i might ever need

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 08:29:46 pm »

The keys are eEvV.  And something else.  Not important.  Not quite sure how I understand how it works, though.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 08:32:21 pm »

heh, i remember when i was first starting out, i didn't realize yo could turn on any labor on any dwarf. I'd spend hours agonizing at the embark screen trying to make sure my original seven had skills in everyting i might ever need
Heh.  Same here.  Everyone was novice in everything . . .

I never got anything done.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember