Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crossbow glitch?  (Read 1072 times)

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Crossbow glitch?
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:07:27 am »

My crossbowdwarf is on the same tile as a Orc Spearman ( Who is badly wounded i might add ) he's firing. But none of the bolts hit him. They simply disappear from existance without even scratching him. How can he miss thirteen times when he is on the same tile? The crossbowdwarf has the crossbow armed. Yet all bolts he fired, miss. And he isn't even attempting to defend himself in melee.

What the hell is going on?...

EDIT: Lol, couldn't pick a worse time for another ambush ;D. Marksorcs. Yeah, that helps a bunch. Luckily i had prepared for the dwarves looting spree. Noe phat lewt fur joo! Anywho, he got raped. He kinda, tried to crawl away with tons of bolts in his ass. Oh and i think he had a spear stuck in him...Yeah...He tried a futile escape. But funnily enough he COULD of made it...Except for no appearent reason he tried to crawl away from my fortress entrance. Even though he was right next to it and he had a chance of survival. "I don't like that fortress. I'd rather get filled with bolts, no thanks!" ( Crawls away and gets the crap beaten out of him ). ;D Tsk, Dwarves...Reminded me of Sharpe when the guy gets shot like, three times yet still crawls in the wrong fuckin direction...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 04:01:52 pm by Nerserus »
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Jakkarra

Re: Crossbow glitch?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:24:47 am »

He's obviously in the A-team.

or thats Orc Norris, whichever.

Love, jakkarra

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 11:54:19 am »

ARe you sure hes firing? They use crossbows as clubs instead of eloading some times.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 03:52:29 pm »

ARe you sure hes firing? They use crossbows as clubs instead of eloading some times.
If he is, then damn he must be the crappest fighter in the history of dwarfdom. Not a single scratch when the orc was barely able to stand up ( In fact i think he was prone ).

EDIT: In fact the funny thing is he got an awesome shot to start off with, a headshot. Yet the orc still RAN after him and beat the crap out of him. Own3d. :o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 04:04:17 pm by Nerserus »
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 04:05:06 pm »

Prone makes you miss.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 04:06:56 pm »

Prone makes you miss.
If i remember, it helps miss, even so, thirteen dodges at close range is pretty badass.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:17:17 pm »

In the same tile? It's quite possible that there's a part of the code that hands a huge penalty to any marksdwarf who is "engaged", with an enemy in the same tile.  Or perhaps being grappled, or being attacked personally.

But those above are right - if he's that close, he should not be firing, he should be hammering.  (Unless he's firing at someone else???)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 05:45:55 pm »

Yeah what exactly makes you say he was firing? Were you tracking his inventory for bolts?

If you don't bother training your marksdwarves in hammering and/or equip them with a wooden or bone bow, they can be pretty ineffective in melee. And orcs can be pretty hardcore.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:48:56 pm »

Good question -

They simply disappear from existance without even scratching him.

At first, I assumed he was watching them fly past (you can see them as they go) - but now that I re-read, I'm not so sure. 

N ?

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 01:58:12 pm »

Good question -

They simply disappear from existance without even scratching him.

At first, I assumed he was watching them fly past (you can see them as they go) - but now that I re-read, I'm not so sure. 

N ?
The bolts were "Keen" ( A modded material. Stronger than steel ) i could SEE, he was firing ( There was a blue / now and again ), and the marksdwarf was legendary in all social skills, had a copper crossbow, and the orc had an eye missing and a mangled skull. The dwarf had NO EXCUSE not to win ( Or AT LEAST damage the orc. ), i checked. He had bolts, i kept checking. The least he had before he died was 13. So i'm pretty sure it's either a glitch, or this dwarf sucked ass.