Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potash,lye and tallow  (Read 878 times)

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
Potash,lye and tallow
« on: May 02, 2009, 05:52:55 am »

I'm having trouble how to make soap and glass because you need all these strange materials. So is there a flowchart out there that has all the ways to use and make all the weird materials? Tried to learn from the wiki but I can't make heads or tails of it.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: Potash,lye and tallow
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:04:04 am »

You dont really need any of those for glass.Green glass is prettier.Besides i think its more effective in trade.Clear glass takes more time.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 06:07:26 am »

Really?  This page?...http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Workshops_FAQ#How_do_I_make_glass.3F

glass - you have haulers gather sand in bags from a designated zone (< i >, just like setting up a drinking area or refuse heap).  You make glass from the sand.  (Any questions so far?)

(If you want clear glass, then you also make ash at a wood burner, turn that into potash at an ashery, then pearlash from that at a kiln, and then make clear glass with that and the sand.)

Sand (gathered from designated collection point) -> glass
Wood -> ash (woodburner) -> potash (ashery) -> pearlash (kiln) -> clear glass

Green glass is only worth 2 - same as flux, less than obsidian.  Clear glass is worth 5 - one more ingredient for 2.5x the value?  It's worth it if you have the trees to make the pearlash.

If you're going to just use it to train gemcutters/setters or glass makers, then yes, use green.  But once you've got the industry in full gear, go for quality.

Soap - you make ash (by burning wood), then you make lye at an ashery from that.  You make tallow from fat (which you get from butchering animals) at a kitchen.  Then you make soap from tallow and lye.

Wood -> ash (wood burner) -> lye (ashery)
Dead animal -> fat (butcher) -> tallow (kitchen)
lye + tallow = soap

It's like steel - you won't see the items in the menu until you have all the necessary ingredients for the last step.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 05:35:12 pm by Albedo »

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 06:31:54 am »

It's worth noting that you can assign jobs with the manager whether you have the resources or not. The dwarf will cancel the job and tell you what he needs, so you CAN figure this out by trial and error.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.