Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: impact of savagery  (Read 1005 times)

kobra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
impact of savagery
« on: May 02, 2009, 03:12:37 am »

So I am wondering, does savagery impact just the wild animals, or are there other consequences to a high savagery?  Are sieges stronger?  More ambushes?  Or will I just have more wolves on the map?

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: impact of savagery
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 03:39:09 am »

humans and dwarves will not settle at high savagery places.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 03:48:53 am »

Savagry to put it simply is kinda how dangerous the location is nature wise in a manner of speaking.

Places with High Savagry are filled with dangerous carniverous animals while ones with low are relatively safe with harmless-annoying animals.

Though if I remember just because a place looks safe (Good Locations) doesn't mean it is.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 06:08:05 am »

Though if I remember just because a place looks safe (Good Locations) doesn't mean it is.
Ah,the times i didnt know how horrible the unicorns were.

Every type has its own dangers.
Evil:zombies,skeletons.
Normal(?):giant eagles,(i think) hippos.
Good:The horror mentioned above.

I,for one find good the most dangerous.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 06:14:42 am »

Except unicorns are about as predatory as deer or groundhogs.

The only danger from them comes from your hunters getting gored to death, since they have a nice weapon on the fronts of their heads.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kobra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:42:33 pm »

I always prefer more savage over less, but I'm wondering if it affects goblins or just the animals?  Will sieges be affected in some way by savagery?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:59:17 pm »

Savagery only effects animals.

If I'm remembering correctly, in fortress mode, benign areas have no predatory animals; predatory (also called neutral) regions can have up to ONE cluster of predatory animals on your map at any one time (i.e. a pack of wolves, a single cougar, etc.). Savage areas can have up to two clusters, and I think animals marked as [SAVAGE] in the raws only appear in savage areas.

Not sure how it affects adventure mode. I'm almost certain that it affects what animals you can find in ambushes (i.e. ambushes won't occur in benign areas, savage animals only ambush you in savage areas), but I'm not sure if savage areas have a higher ambush frequency than merely predatory (I doubt that).

And don't underestimate unicorns; they can tear up your hunters quite badly.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:25:53 pm »

Is there a way to increase the number of animals/fish on a map? (or otherwise find an area with a high concentration of fish/animals
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 06:37:49 pm »

This is an old thread, and I'm not sure what that question has to do with it; new subjects should go in new threads, for further reference.

If you want more animals, savage areas (see: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Surroundings#Surroundings) MIGHT have more animals in general, probably have a higher proportion of predatory animals, and definitely have more animal types to choose from, usually more dangerous than the others.

If you want more fish, it helps to embark along rivers (not brooks! large fish don't spawn in brooks) and lakes/oceans, since that's where fish spawn.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 07:06:31 pm »

Creature fish don't spawn, though; nor do they breed. Once you've killed all the ones that are on the map when you arrive, that's it. Vermin fish are a different matter, though; it's not clear what governs their population levels.

Untelligent's suggestion that savage areas can have multiple groups of animals on the map at a time doesn't mesh with my experience. I've only ever seen one group of animals at a time, unless I've been trapping things. Now granted, I do tend to embark on small (3x3 or 4x4) areas; it's possible there's code in the game to change the amount of wildlife with the size of the embark region.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 12:40:03 am »

Creature fish don't spawn, though; nor do they breed. Once you've killed all the ones that are on the map when you arrive, that's it.

Are you positive? I know that this is an alleged bug with OCEAN creatures specifically, but I didn't know there was a similar problem with river or lake creatures.

petersohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 02:45:57 am »

I once played on a wilderness area with lots of carp killing my dwarves. Once I killed them all by draining every lake/river they dwelled in, I had no longer problem with them and could safely fish.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 07:49:26 am »

Just as clarification, ocean creatures(Whales and the like) can not be on the map at the same time as land based animals(Deer, wolves, etc). I've done several oceanside forts and they never had both at the same time.

It seems to me that oceancreatures also migrate to/from the map, but I'm not entirely sure.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.)