Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: New 40k Mod  (Read 4364 times)

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
Re: New 40k Mod
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2009, 04:57:07 pm »

ok i will have a go, you can see my first attempt at modding in the unplayable hobbits topic. Good luck with this though, but i won't be playing it.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2009, 07:59:42 pm »

no reason to slag the topic zephyr =/

There was an old 40k mod that was very successful. I'm sure this one will do great as well =)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2009, 08:22:05 pm »

I can see some sense in it though, 40k has many ranged weapons and as far as I know the only things you can really do to ranged weapons is construction, damage, and damage type. Also there are difficulties in presenting multiple race civilisations and vehicles. DF isn't really set up to convey the 40k experience, there is absolutely no reason that a 40k mod can't be fun, but I can see why someone would argue that fantasy would be more practical at present.

Does anyone want to add that as a suggestion? Make it possible to mod in <examples> abilities of 40k items. It would be a great exercise in increasing the scope of modding...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2009, 08:25:31 pm »

I can see some sense in it though, 40k has many ranged weapons and as far as I know the only things you can really do to ranged weapons is construction, damage, and damage type. Also there are difficulties in presenting multiple race civilisations and vehicles. DF isn't really set up to convey the 40k experience, there is absolutely no reason that a 40k mod can't be fun, but I can see why someone would argue that fantasy would be more practical at present.

Does anyone want to add that as a suggestion? Make it possible to mod in <examples> abilities of 40k items. It would be a great exercise in increasing the scope of modding...
Thank you.

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2009, 12:51:32 am »

no reason to slag the topic zephyr =/

There was an old 40k mod that was very successful. I'm sure this one will do great as well =)

You mean mine?
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2009, 09:06:19 am »

Yes thats what i meant.
I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Commissar Internet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2009, 05:42:14 pm »

Necro-bump for the EMPRAH!  With the old 40k mod, did anybody ever try to build a proper hive city?

Naze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2009, 06:15:11 pm »

Meh, I made a hab-block, little over 500 humies, and that was my tenth try, Hive-cities have populations in the billions.
Elf: Hmmm an ancient book...filled with spells?!
Fuma Amuisa, elf has been struck down.
Tzeentch doesn't like Elves, please don't teach your Elves to read.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2009, 08:42:19 pm »

Pyskers should be very expensive pets, not actual people. And they should have firebreathe.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2009, 12:53:43 pm »

Pyskers should be very expensive pets, not actual people. And they should have firebreathe.
No.

I havent worked on this in a while, I need some help on Eldar still. Way behind on what Ive wanted to do. THis mod will be way better next version of DF. But I atleast want Imperials Orks Eldar and Chaos done.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2009, 02:26:09 pm »

An 40k mod? Good idea and good luck.

But it`s strange, that no one has done an wh fantasy mode yet. Well maybe ill do it then.  :)

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2009, 04:02:17 pm »

I havent worked on this in a while, I need some help on Eldar still. Way behind on what Ive wanted to do. THis mod will be way better next version of DF. But I atleast want Imperials Orks Eldar and Chaos done.

Hey, I didn't know you were still working on this. I started my own 40k mod, but it would probably be much better if we combined our efforts. I've got Imperial Guard finished and I'm working on Chaos, Eldar, and Orks right now. Chaos is nearly done. The thread for it is here

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 04:05:59 pm »

Sure!

I have cultists, which are basically Chaos IG too. I was thinking of making Adamantine non-deep. It seems to be a common material, as it seems all chainswords have "adamantium teeth".

Xaque, should we make a new thread about it, or use one of these two?

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 05:29:31 pm »

I would recommend leaving psykers until the wizards get put in vanilla. Then, you'll have something to work with.
I'd also recommend making Carnifexes and the like Semimegabeasts. Why? There are even bigger creatures about, in a whole different category: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan.
I like the idea of adding in the daemons, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for civilizations, I'd suggest the following:
Imperial Guard (with both above-ground military base style constructions and below ground bunkers and bases)
Space Marines (similar to Imperial Guard, but with cathedral style structures as their above ground bases instead)
Sisters of Battle (same as Space Marines)
Chaos (generic, for wild forces and the like. Would live around warp portals, which would spawn them. The landscape would probably be quite Mordor-like as a result)
Khorne (Think Space Marines, but with a lot more blood)
Nurgle (Ditto, but also with filth)
Slaanesh (Ditto, but also with filth and "unknown substance")
Tzeentch (Similar to Space Marines, save maybe a bit weirder looking, the kind of structure that drives you mad if you stare at it too long)
Orks (with Grot slaves. Live in fortresses made of scrap with big garages for their vehicles as well as smaller desert-tribe style camps.)
Eldar (aboveground, pretty looking cities made of wraithbone)
Dark Eldar (think Eldar, but also has the look of a Chaos cathedral mixed in, and is all dark)
Tau (similar to Eldar, but not made of wraithbone, and more square/Japanese-esque)
Necrons (think a big crypt)
Tyranids (big hive)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 05:37:44 pm by Praetyre »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2009, 05:34:04 pm »

I would recommend leaving psykers until the wizards get put in vanilla. Then, you'll have something to work with.
I'd also recommend making Carnifexes and the like Semimegabeasts. Why? There are even bigger creatures about, in a whole different category: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Titan.
I like the idea of adding in the daemons, but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for civilizations, I'd suggest the following:
Imperial Guard
Space Marines
Sisters of Battle
Chaos (generic, for wild forces and the like)
Khorne
Nurgle
Slaneesh
Tzeentch
Orks (with Grot slaves)
Eldar
Dark Eldar
Tau
Necrons
Tyranids
Im thinking of making a new thread.
Probably Org and Xaque's 40k Mod