Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reluctant goblns  (Read 678 times)

Stumpo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reluctant goblns
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:17:39 pm »

Hi all.

So, I have my fort all set up, wealth climbing well, happy dwarfs. A vile force of darkness arrives!.

This is not really a problem, as I have trapped the entrance to hell and back ( over 74 weapon traps, containing nearly 200 obsidian short swords, yes, I had little else to do ) and has some war dogs on rose gold chains ( pimp dogs as I call them ) for kobold purposes.

However, the goblins just hover at the edge of the map, not doing anything, they have even started showing up in multiple squads now. When the seige starts, I make my dwarfs scamper inside before locking the front door ( no trolls yet ). I wait for the onslaught of narrow death, but it never happens. This is annoying because I have flux, but no iron. My copper armoured military would not do to well I fear, and I don't want any to die.

Is there a way to prompt them into attacking? Or are they too cunning for that? is it a pathing problem, where they can't path to my dwarfs so don't even try to get at them?

All help appreciated, thanks in advance.

P.S. Speaking of my copper clad military, is there a way to make them wear more armour, they are set to plate, but most of them just seem to wear a few pieces, not the whole set. They tend to leave out chain mail and leggings. Do they just need to gain more armour skill?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reluctant goblns
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:27:03 pm »

If your front door is locked, it sounds like the goblins can't path to your dwarves. And if they can't, they won't bother approaching at all. If you have only one entrance and it's littered with traps, just open the door.

Stumpo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 06:41:35 pm »

I see, I'll station all my dwarfs inside and let them walk to thier death, thanks for the info.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 06:58:30 pm »

Speaking of my copper clad military, is there a way to make them wear more armour, they are set to plate, but most of them just seem to wear a few pieces, not the whole set. They tend to leave out chain mail and leggings. Do they just need to gain more armour skill?

I could be wrong, but I think you need to walk their preferences from cloth/leather to chain, wait for them to re-equip, then move the preferences up to plate.

You might want to order in some tin or cassiterite first, so you can make bronze armor.  If you can order iron bars or an iron ore, take that instead, but there's no reason to settle for copper armor other than for the challenge of it.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:24:36 pm »

If you have a large area (or a convoluted path) that you can put a drawbridge at the entrance to, you can invite them in, then seal them in, for a killing zone effect.  If you time it right (or use pressure plates?), you can let them seal themselves in (and out of your fortress at the same time) with tied mechanisms.  And there they'll wait, for whatever you have planned next.

Armor (besides clothes) can be layered as leather/chain, leather/plate, or chain/plate (no triple layers).

Dorfs have to put the lighter one on, then be asked to put the heavier on.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:30:46 pm »

Personally, I have a front (Depot) entrance with a 3-wide drawbridge, and a 1-wide "back entrance" I can force the goblins through when the bridge closes. Include some fun pressure plates in the 1-wide areas, dogs at both entrances and life is all too easy.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 12:11:22 am »

Yeah, if the goblins can't pathfind to your dwarves, they'll just sit there.

Also, copper and bronze are stylish.

Stumpo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 06:55:12 pm »

Yeah, if the goblins can't pathfind to your dwarves, they'll just sit there.

Also, copper and bronze are stylish.

They are stylish indeed, I like the caveman feel to it. Too bad they are murdering each other when sparring, even after a year of being wrestlers.

Thanks for the info all.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 08:21:35 pm »

I think that if you chain some wardogs outside your fortress, that will attract the gobos even if your fortress is closed.
Or you could make some sort of "breadcrumb trail" of chained animals that leads all the way into your trapped area. Plus the wardogs will injure them gobos along the way.
A few dead dogs is a small price to pay for having you traps put to good use.

Stumpo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 10:21:05 pm »

I thought the same thing regarding war dogs, I built a seperate tunnel of death with a dog at the end to temp them down, but nothing doing.