Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cat Cluster  (Read 1548 times)

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
Cat Cluster
« on: September 06, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

Had a thought about the cats after one of my miners LAYED DOWN so a cat can WALK OVER HIM, and i was wondering is it possible to have cats(maybe dogs too?) to be the first to lay down instead of the dwarf?
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Cluster
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:23:00 pm »

Lied down. Lied down.

Savok cancels Read Forums: Went insane.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

//Laid down on Sav's face

Anyways, it's a good idea that, of 2 creatures, the smaller one should lay down first... Giving the larger creature priority.

Thus, the 20 sized giant doesn't lay down so that the size 5 mandril can pass by.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Thus, the 20 sized giant doesn't lay down so that the size 5 mandril can pass by.</STRONG>

Or worse, the size 20 giant doesn't lie down so the kitten can pass by.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zulaf:
<STRONG>Had a thought about the cats after one of my miners LAYED DOWN so a cat can WALK OVER HIM, and i was wondering is it possible to have cats(maybe dogs too?) to be the first to lay down instead of the dwarf?</STRONG>

Im sure this will be fixed in the future. We know for a fact that realistically and in game terms:
1. The tunnel AT LEAST is wide enough for a dwarf to move, work and fight in.
2. Since dwarves made it, it would not make sense if it was any smaller, unless they built it that way for a reason.

So if there is room to swing a greatsword, obviously there is room for a cat to fit into the same tile as the dwarfs legs. The animal would be smart enough to go around and the dwarf would be smart enough not to step on the cat. Both would simply pass each other without stopping, right?

Im not sure how to calculate this but if each creature was assigned a size rating it could be used for rudimentary physics. Say if a dwarf was 4 units wide face on, but only 2 units wide when turned to the side. If the corridor was 5 units wide and 2 dwarves wanted to pass each other, they could both sidestep past each other with room to spare.

This could apply to different elevations as well, if the dwarfs head was 5 units off the ground and a doorway was only 4 units high, he would have to duck to get through. If this legs were 2 units wide, then a 2 unit wide cat could fit in the same tile because it does not compete for space with his torso.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 03:01:00 am »

lie (POSITION)
verb lying, lay, lain.

Ideally it should have been:

quote:

<STRONG>Had a thought about the cats after one of my miners LAY DOWN so a cat can WALK OVER HIM, and i was wondering is it possible to have cats(maybe dogs too?) to be the first to lie down instead of the dwarf?</STRONG>

Savok, you need to look stuff up before you open your mouth. "Lied" is the past tense of "to lie" as in, to not tell the truth.

Varil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 04:08:00 am »

Maybe it'd be better to just go ahead and use the size rating, and assume that each square can handle up to X total size before someone has to lie down or wait or whatever?

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 07:00:00 am »

Dwarf cancels job; stepped on cat
Dwarf cancels stepped on cat; being clawed to death
Cat has gone bezerk

Seriously, I don't think small animals should block dwarves from passing..

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 07:00:00 am »

Size rating sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Maybe even have x, y, and z dimensions, unless that's overkill.

Furniture and stuff would have size ratings too, of course.

It does feel kind of silly that two kittens have to climb all over each other to get past each other in the same area that an elephant can lumber around at ease.

Then again, these are cats we're talking about...   :p

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

Just slaughter the cats and kittens, and make some gloves from their leather   ;)
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »

No, no. You make mittens out of kittens. Everyone knows that!   :D
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

Alternately, instead of defining dimensions, you could simply state at what size value the "legs" end.

A dwarve has a defined height of 6. If we make his legs start at "0.5" his height (3) and a animals' size is less then that, neither would have to sit down so the other could pass.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

(Edit: yeah, what Varil said. How did I miss that post?)

How about setting a soft limit on total sizes in one square?

If all the creatures in a square total up to less than the limit, then none of them are slowed down at all.

If the size total of all the creatures exceeds the limit, then apply the 'laying down' penalty to the smallest creature, and subtract its size from the total. If the total is still too big, repeat until the total is lowered to or below the limit, or only one creature is left.

For example: (numbers are completely ficticious)

Two dwarves (size 4) and a cat (size 1) are in the same square. The size limit for a square is 8. The cat has to 'duck out' of the way, which brings the total to 8, so the two dwarves continue just fine.

A horse (size 7), a dwarf (size 4) and a dog (size 2) are in the same square (again, limit 8). To bring the size total to below 8, both the dog and dwarf lose time to let the horse move freely.

An elephant (size 20) and a mandrill are in the same square (limit 8). The mandrill loses time making way for the elephant. The elephant does not, as it's the only one left.

[ September 07, 2007: Message edited by: Blackcat ]

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

Completetly detailed size physics are a bit beyond what we can handle at the moment. Im not 100% sure but it seems that every tile is hardcoded so that it is impossible to have 2 creatures standing in the same space. Changing that mechanic entirely would take a crapton of effort, but it would be nice if there were 2 or more "loopholes" in that system, stuff like:

1. Kittens, and other "ground" animals can pass dwarves in the corridor without stopping.
2. 2 dwarves in a 1 tile wide corridor can pass each other without stopping, as long as neither of them are carrying something.

Even having just those two would cure the worst of the annoyance that comes from having tight corridors in your fortress.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 09:49:00 am »

Or you could just make it so that dwarf = no passing. One dwarf takes one tile, no dwarf crawls... So if that big fellah sheriff is coming, you better back off till you reach wider area  :)
Pages: [1] 2