Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: :(  (Read 1066 times)

Detrivus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
:(
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:50:20 pm »

Had a titan show up, me having never encountered a megabeast yet.

I want to cage him to make a sacrifice pit, so I order all dwarves to stay inside.

Inexplicably, two champions run out to confront the beast.  One is armed with a pine sword.  Of course, this one goes for the titan, while his buddy with an iron warhammer runs after the equally threatening macaques.

So here I am, anticipating the slaughter of this champion for ruining my plan.  Blood goes everywhere.  I notice the champion's completely unharmed.

After 5 minutes of whacking the titan with his glorified stick, the champion subdues the "megabeast" singlehandedly.

Talk about anticlimactic.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: :(
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:55:52 pm »

Yeah. Megabeast wimpiness is a common problem in the current version.

You have to consider that in the DF combat engine, ANYTHING with a weapon + armor > non-weapon-wielding/non-armored foe, with the single exception of enemies with a huge size/damblock. Unfortunately the megabeasts at the moment simply don't have enough size or damblock to compensate for their lack of war gear.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:52:43 pm »

well... titans are fairly 'weak' for megabeasts. they bleed out and die. ZOMBIE titans on the other hand, are the doom of everything in their wounded path.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 01:55:20 pm »

Perhaps Champions are traps and bows are just overpowered?

Heck, find a site with a hostile Titan and try to face it with every dwarf pre-trained in some combat skill as you embark. Then after ten tries, you find Megabeasts are just easily taken down by champions and traps.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 02:36:31 pm »

Inexplicably, two champions run out to confront the beast.

(That's what champions do.  That's why they have that title.)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 02:38:22 pm »

Had a titan show up, me having never encountered a megabeast yet.

I want to cage him to make a sacrifice pit, so I order all dwarves to stay inside.

Inexplicably, two champions run out to confront the beast.  One is armed with a pine sword.  Of course, this one goes for the titan, while his buddy with an iron warhammer runs after the equally threatening macaques.

So here I am, anticipating the slaughter of this champion for ruining my plan.  Blood goes everywhere.  I notice the champion's completely unharmed.

After 5 minutes of whacking the titan with his glorified stick, the champion subdues the "megabeast" singlehandedly.

Talk about anticlimactic.

It's true. I've had lone champions wrestle dragons to the ground and defeat them.

As a result, many people will go in to the creature raws and mod megabeasts to be much more powerful. The best way to do this is probably sheer size. Raising megabeast damblock works too.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 03:08:45 pm »

Heck, find a site with a hostile Titan and try to face it with every dwarf pre-trained in some combat skill as you embark. Then after ten tries, you find Megabeasts are just easily taken down by champions and traps.

True, but traps and champions are both easy to get, and (since it's difficult to have a non-champion military), most forts will have one or the other by the time that megabeasts start showing up.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 06:46:31 am »

Yep....The problems are the following:
- Randomized combat results, since the combat system is quite basic right now. [Should be improved for the next version even -> body layers & better dmg calculation]
- The creatures are quite weak in the vanilla game. -> Download some mods, like LL for example.
- Traps & Bows are insanely powerful

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:01:10 am »

Just embark in terrifying mountains. You'll fear zombie giant bats far more than any titan after being there for a while. Trust me, a single fucking giant bat killed six of my seven dwarves, after five years of murdering every migrant...

The worst part? He flew off with both picks and a battle axe stuck in him.

Zombies simply put, ARE NOT beatable...

I can't wait until the day toady implements zombie outbreak diseases... Bitten once = death = undeath = more death = more undeath = repeat.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 09:53:33 am »

Zombie titans?  I've beaten zombie titans.

Skeletal Titans, on the other hand, are the real buggers.  Even then, one lucky strike with a sword to the neck can get you a win.

One very, very lucky strike.  Pray you get it if you encounter one.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 09:58:44 am »

Don't dwarves in most fantasy games have a bonus vs giants? Heh, I'd rather see a long drawn out fight with the titan failing to harm them, but with 3 champion wrestlers vainly trying to pin him down :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 10:59:26 am »

The last titan I received tripped into my water-filled moat for no apparent reason, and then my marksdwarfs showed up late, but they decorated the top of his head with bolts.

Disappointing, except if you can imagine a titan skull with a fro of pointy sticks.