Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Destroyed in a minute...  (Read 1991 times)

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
Destroyed in a minute...
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:28:00 am »

I picked what believed to be the best spot possible(for me). It was a Serene forest with a river, magma pipe, and it was heavily forested. I start to build my tunnel and i get the message so and so burned to death i assumed that he fell in the magma. Then i got the message again, I look at the magma pipe and the forest is on fire and it was like a small explosion killing all the trees, and leaving ash in its wake. Everyone died except one and he when insane. All of this was caused by a stupid imp. The best place for me and now its a pile of ash. Has this happened to anyone else, and was there anyway i could have prevented this?
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
Re: Destroyed in a minute...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:42:39 am »

Losing is fun. That's why we laugh all the time, here on the DF forums. I believe I can safely state that some variation of your disaster has happened uncountable times to many, many DF players.

There are no sure-fire prevention methods except to remove the danger completely (I E embark to a site without magma), but that's boring and elven. Instead, embark with one or two crossbowdwarves and a bunch of bolts. Conscript them immediately and station them at the magma pipe. Imp kebab coming up! The fire men and other nastier magma dwellers might still be a problem however....

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 07:45:27 am »

imps usually keep to themselves. even if you start right on top of the pipe you should have enough time to get out of the danger zone.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:58:38 am »

You can always channel a fire-ditch in case of emergency. Sure, you'll lose whoever (or whatever - stupid horse) was at the magma pipe, but losses are minimal if everyone's on the right side.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:07:03 am »

You can always channel a fire-ditch in case of emergency. Sure, you'll lose whoever (or whatever - stupid horse) was at the magma pipe, but losses are minimal if everyone's on the right side.

True. Every time when starting near open magma vent, immidiately dig small channel around your starting position and build everything underground or cap the vent with obsidian. It does not take so much time and your dwarves will be in much safer position.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:19:59 am »

This was a hillarious story.  ;D Loosing is fun in DF!  :D

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 09:01:11 am »

imps usually keep to themselves. even if you start right on top of the pipe you should have enough time to get out of the danger zone.

While this is true, I find my wagon team tends to wander off and get themselves immolated every time I have an open magma pipe.  It probably wouldn't hurt to cage them ASAP.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:09:16 am »

I didn't start anywhere near the magma pipe, the magma pipe had no obsidian around it so when the imp stepped on normal land the entire map went up in flames, but it was hilarious. This is one of those things that makes this game so fun.
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 09:18:08 am »

I didn't start anywhere near the magma pipe, the magma pipe had no obsidian around it so when the imp stepped on normal land the entire map went up in flames, but it was hilarious. This is one of those things that makes this game so fun.

Imps don't set the grass on fire unless they're attacking something.  Perhaps it was a wild animal.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 09:21:34 am »

Who knows all i know is every one died  ;D

koofle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 09:47:20 am »

In all the open air magma pipe maps I've started in, on only one map have I been attacked by fire imps.  And only one case of having my surroundings razed periodically by imp mis-fires.  Those may have been where the imps started out near the top of the pipe.

If they're all the way down in the lower recesses of the magma pipe, brownian motion would suggest that they wouldn't be getting anywhere near the exit any time soon.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 10:19:32 am »

They are far more likely to attack if dwarves are near the edge of the pipe. The easiest immediate thing to do is just put a restricted traffic zone within 10 tiles of the edge so that dwarves aren't walking right on the perimeter.

When you get some bones, make a crossbow and some bolts and station that dwarf at the edge of the pipe. Within a month or so the imps should be taken care of.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 10:34:41 am »

Thanks, i guess i just wasn't lucky enough. But next time i won't die. Well at least not from imps  ;D

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:55:27 am »

It happened again this time it was my fault, luckily my cave was one Z level up and i managed to get all but the fire starter away. I thinks trees and plant should catch on fire, and fire should be able to go up Z levels. Yes that would mean i would have no trees but it would be awesome.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 12:30:15 pm »

Of course... starting on a calm, Magma-free map is no guarantee that your Dwarves will even survive long enough to unload the Wagon. In my 2nd-last start (calm, no Magma), my guys started right in front of a cave mouth... and a whole herd of things came boiling out of the cave and slaughtered them all in a few seconds. Most of them didn't even have time to jump down off the Wagon. It was over so fast that I didn't even have the opportunity to figure out what sort of creatures were attacking me.

Good times... good times.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: [1] 2