Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Destroyed in a minute...  (Read 1983 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Destroyed in a minute...
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 03:07:55 pm »

It happened again ...

I'm on a similar map, only I embarked on one side of an open pipe with imps on the surface, and I wanted to dig in on the other side of it.

There was some small terrain not far away, just enough to screen line of site - I used the traffic designation to route my haulers into a ravine, then around, and then 45 degrees away and then finally turned them loose back to the final destination.

It was a bit further around, but the imps never aggro'd, so I consider that a small victory. 

Kept the Restricted Traffic up all around the surface of the pipe, and now have a small walled enclosure for AG crops, drinking and meeting area - no one has gone anywhere near the vent, except underground to tap it.  The imps are still waiting for a target of opportunity, and I want to meet that challenge on my own terms.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 09:38:27 am »

I had a fireman run all around the plains toasting people.  He came all the way to my fortress, about 2 diagonal embark tiles away.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 10:50:02 am »

I lost a fort in 8 seconds before. I embarked on a volcano that had undermined sections of a mountain during world-gen. I started right under those floating chunks of rock. Boom, 4 of my dwarves are flung into the lava by the impact, 1 of them dies outright, and the remaining two bleed out quickly due to having lost limbs from the blunt trauma. Best fort ever.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 08:50:00 pm »

I have an underground magma pipe. Which I immediately fortified and walled in except a channel out to claim the lava goodness, and THAT has fortifications in it, too.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »

Apart from my current fortress located at this site, I genned the world a second time and started another fortress on the site, meaning to do things differently.

I realized that my lame 'three tile wide tunnel with stone fall traps' entrance just wasn't epic enough, so I thought I'd try my hand at making something more interesting.

I started out on the east side of the map, right next to the volcano, with the plan to have my entrance over the bottomless pit. This is not necessarily an original idea, but since it's my second serious fortress, it's still pretty original to me. Plus I'd have easy access to sand early on so I'd be able to get some glass industry going pretty quickly. A glass entrance over a bottomless pit seemed pretty epic to me.

Realizing at embark that there'd be some wildlife around the magma pipe, I embarked with four prof. woodcutters to form my makeshift military while I'd be digging out the entrance.

Turns out the magma pipe had a little more than just wildlife. I'd just built an outside carpentry shop and had started digging into the hill towards to the bottomless pit when my woodcutters had to fight some ratmen. Furthermore, they were chasing away some naked mole dogs.

...Into the giant cave spider that was lurking about four tiles away from my entrance, one Z level above.

One woodcutter didn't make it, two others were severely injured and unconcious. That's when the fire imps came out of the magma pipe to say hello. ::)

I'm thinking I dived into the challenge a bit too early on considering my experience with DF. Then again, lessons were learned and fun was had, so it wasn't a complete waste ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:03:53 pm by GoneWacko »
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 11:20:58 pm »

I embarked on a site once, two seconds in, I hear AN AMBUSH!  CURSE THEM! as a GCS is right next to my 7 starting Dwarves.

It rips 3 of them in half while the others run, it kills all of my dogs, but it's injured at this point.  I send my miners with their picks after it, they both die.

Two dwarves left, and they're both unhappy.  I decided to abandon.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 04:47:34 am »

I picked what believed to be the best spot possible(for me). It was a Serene forest with a river, magma pipe, and it was heavily forested. I start to build my tunnel and i get the message so and so burned to death i assumed that he fell in the magma. Then i got the message again, I look at the magma pipe and the forest is on fire and it was like a small explosion killing all the trees, and leaving ash in its wake. Everyone died except one and he when insane. All of this was caused by a stupid imp. The best place for me and now its a pile of ash. Has this happened to anyone else, and was there anyway i could have prevented this?

Others answered your question, but I just wanted to add that I've had something like that, but even quicker. I embarked on a map and my wagon was RIGHT NEXT to the magma vent. I thought "NEAT! Jackpot!"

Well, the imp thought the same. Within a second it threw a fireball at the first dwarf it saw. The fire started about 5 seconds after embark, all my dwarves were dead in under a minute. I was laughing my ass off behind the computer. DF is the only game in which you can lose a game in the first few seconds of starting it :D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 05:22:35 am »

Of course... starting on a calm, Magma-free map is no guarantee that your Dwarves will even survive long enough to unload the Wagon. In my 2nd-last start (calm, no Magma), my guys started right in front of a cave mouth... and a whole herd of things came boiling out of the cave and slaughtered them all in a few seconds. Most of them didn't even have time to jump down off the Wagon. It was over so fast that I didn't even have the opportunity to figure out what sort of creatures were attacking me.

Good times... good times.

Embark on top of a GCS and it's web.
Have all 7 dwarfs and all 12 animals immediately immobilised by web.
Have the GCS jump off the goddamn wagon and eat them.

I'm actually fairly sure it was just next to the wagon, but it moved so fast it looked like it had actually spawned on top of the wagon.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 05:44:46 am »

This was a hillarious story.  ;D Loosing is fun in DF!  :D

Not only DF. Losing is fun in alot of games. :)

The sims was fun. I remember I created a family consisting of ONE little guy. The idea was for him to live off pizza and get money from having good grades. I built him a small pool ... and forgot to give him a ladder to climb out of it.

So I drowned a lonely child. He didn't appreciate it as much as me.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 [2]