Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Balance of Power 1990 Edition (Multiplayer)  (Read 4623 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Balance of Power 1990 Edition (Multiplayer)
« on: May 01, 2009, 02:35:09 am »

I was inspired by the discussion of "Geopolitical Game Simulator", which soon turns towards Chris Crawford's work. Balance of Power 1990 Edition is a Cold War simulator, known for being a pretty good game to play, altough it does has its flaws. Maybe, however, those flaws might be fixed if the AI was taken out and we just have the human element.

Due to the semi-populartiy of EoFS PBEM and the rise of the new MoO2 multiplayer game, I was wondering if anybody was interested in a multiplayer version of Balance of Power 1990. There are two positions: The President of the USA and the Preimer of the USSR, and they get to decide what their country does. The USA has more money, but less troops, and the USSR is vice-versa. The goal of each side is to get the most "prestige points" without causing a nuclear war in the process. Prestige can be acquired by establishing governments friendly to your nation and "winning" Brinkmanship Challenges.

You do not need to actually download BOP1990 to play or watch. I can screenshot the revelant info. All actions has to be public though, because the other side can challenge your action, causing a Brinkmanship Challenge that can lead to nuclear war.

There is only one thing that really worries me: What difficulty settings should be used for this multiplayer game? The higher the difficulty setting, the more features are added to the game, making it more complicated....
---Easy: Insurgency feature. Players can work to defend friendly governments (by sending military aid or military troops) or overthrow rival ones (by sending military aid and military troops). There is a possiblity that Soviet troops and American troops may end up killing each other, which can increase tension.
---Medium: Coups feature. Players can work to destabilize rival countries to cause a "coup" ('military' or 'democratic') that creates a more friendly country, or send in economic aid package to friendly countries to keep that country stable.
---Hard: Finlandlization Feature. Powerful superpowers with lot of military aid would be so scary that rival nations would have no choice but to give in and become more friendly. Players can counteract 'Finlandization' by signing treaties promising to defend friendly nations, and by being rather scary themselves. If players sign a treaty and procede to disregard it, other nations would take less stock in your 'promises'.
---Realistic: Minor Powers: Other nations are going to do whatever they want to do, to promote their interests. They will attempt to cause coups and fund insurgencies. Minor powers also take a cue from the two Superpowers' actions, if the two Superpowers threaten nuclear war every day, then minor powers think it is okay to cause total chaos too, and so will procede to do so merrily. Sometimes, this means you have to tell your own allies to stop causing chaos and myahem. The example Crawford gave was Israel funding terrorism in Syria, causing the Soviet Union to intervene putting the US in a hard place.

Setting the game to Realistic may make it realistic, but do you really want to baby-sit your allies? I'm just warning you.

Some possible rules for how to resolve Brinkmanship Challenges:

EDIT: To play, all you have to do is state that you want to play, and tell me what role you want, President of USA or Preimer of USSR. You are allowed to have other advisers tell you what to do, but I'm not sure about having any formal powers...at least not yet.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:38:36 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Balance of Power 1990 Edition (Multiplayer)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 02:43:03 am »

I'll take U.S. and suggest Hard Mode?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 02:45:42 am »

I'll take The USSR....... Comrade.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 02:47:26 am »

So Pandarsenic versus TheNewerMartianEmperor. Gotcha. TheNewerMartianEmperor, are you in favor of Hard Mode?

EDIT: Also, anybody interested in advising these glorious leaders?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:49:16 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 02:50:27 am »

I'm also down for Medium if we want an easier first game.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 02:53:57 am »

I shall advise Pandarsenic. Down with the Reds!
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 02:55:02 am »

Medium, since this is the first game.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 02:58:50 am »

I'd like to advise TheNewerMartianEmperor.

Down with the capitalist pigdogs!

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 03:13:08 am »

Mister President, what Ministry shall I have? I need to work out my character.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 03:14:59 am »

Be the head of HUAC. >:3
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 03:15:35 am »

Be the head of HUAC. >:3
What is that?
My full sig

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 03:28:36 am »

I was thinking like Minister of Foreign Affairs or Minister of Defence.
My full sig

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 03:30:55 am »

Those work too.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 03:32:18 am »

Which one do you want me to be? As president you're supposed to assign portfolios.
My full sig
Pages: [1] 2 3