Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Gratuitous Space Battles!  (Read 11365 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Gratuitous Space Battles!
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2009, 01:52:56 pm »

Yanlin lives in a magical world where resources are meaningless and war doesn't suck them dry.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2009, 01:54:57 pm »

In Total Annihilation, resources are unlimited during the game. However, in the intro: "The Core and the Arm have all but exhausted the resources of a galaxy in their struggle for domination." TANSTAUR.

Shall we return to the topic, even though there is little to speak about? If this game was instead a part of an actual 4X game, it would be a lot more interesting. So far I know of one similar game, Imperium Galactica 2, but its battles are completely 3D and don't take damage zones into account if I remember right.

Say, is there a topic to discuss ideas for creating a good 4X game? 'Cause I have a sheetful of ideas...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2009, 08:45:20 pm »

I was thinking that this sounded similar to space empires. It is a 4x game where you can design ships by putting fixed components into fixed hulls, but there are quite a few components and research to improve them so it isn't as dull as it sounds. Also you can set parameters for the AI, and formations, but formations don't count for much as it is generally best to just try to get as much fire-power onto as small a space as possible... You can take control of combat in some modes, but it is quite possible to play it as a purely strategic game with the AI doing all the fights, you will often be kicking yourself over how stupid the AI is, but GSB doesn't look like it has any manoeuvring or anything, so the AI probably doesn't have to work too hard...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2009, 08:52:17 pm »

Well it is that Resources (which is basically the whole planet) cannot reasonably run out during gameplay

Unlike most games... Total Annihilation happens entirely in real time.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2009, 10:11:28 am »

Sorry for the thread Necromancy mates, just thought it'd be better to continue off on this thread then start a new one.

Long time lurker on the forums, I actually found out about this game by reading the link that the op posted many moons ago.

Cliffski (The guy who coded and developed this game) has just released the Beta to those who pre-order it. So if you want to give it a whirl (It's a lot of fun!  ;D ) You can head over to his website and order it.

http://positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2009, 07:42:21 am »

NECRO POST!!!

Demoversion is out and it is quite good! Runs incredibly smoothly and plays good. I am not sure about the €20 price tag, but it certainly is well crafted game. At least try the demo!
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2009, 03:30:09 pm »

Cool, link?

Also, I'd like to put an end to the previous discussion by saying that everyone in the game is actually a warrior who died and went to Valhalla, where they do fierce battle for all eternity in their celestial flying mead halls.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2009, 04:15:59 pm »

<_<==>_>

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just found this all too funny. It's from Cliffski's video blog.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]