Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Gratuitous Space Battles!  (Read 11364 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Gratuitous Space Battles!
« on: May 01, 2009, 01:43:20 am »

Just saw a trailer that totally made me salivate with the scale and detail of it's space combat model. Check it out! The video is impressive. http://positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/

The description speaks for itself: Gratuitous Space Battles aims to bring the over-the-top explodiness back into space games. The game is for everyone who has watched big space armadas battle it out on TV and thought to themselves 'I could have done a much better job as admiral'. This is not a game of real-time arcade twitch reflexes. GSB is about what ships you design, and what you tell them to do. Your individual ship commanders have total autonomy during the chaotic battle that unfolds. This is not a tactical game, it is a strategic one. These gratuitous space battles are not won by plucky heroes with perfect teeth, but by the geeky starship builders who know exactly what ratio of plasma-cannons to engines each ship in the fleet will need.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gratuitous Space Battles!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:49:01 am »

The Trailer was too "Cinamatic" in the sense that they shown you nothing about how to actually play the game.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 03:16:21 am »

The Trailer was too "Cinamatic" in the sense that they shown you nothing about how to actually play the game.

What trailer? I'm watching the one on the page. Shows actual gameplay.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 03:22:54 am »

No it just shows you a bunch of ships shooting at eachother.

Yep so much gameplay involved *Sarcasm*

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 03:27:05 am »

This game looks like it was made by someone who played Battleships Forever and thought "You know, this could be a hell of allot better...
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 03:39:03 am »

From what I gather the gameplay will reside in designing the ships and instructing them on what to do in battle before sitting back and watching them fight.

GSB is about what ships you design, and what you tell them to do. Your individual ship commanders have total autonomy during the chaotic battle that unfolds. This is not a tactical game, it is a strategic one. These gratuitous space battles are not won by plucky heroes with perfect teeth, but by the geeky starship builders who know exactly what ratio of plasma-cannons to engines each ship in the fleet will need.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 05:33:33 am »

No it just shows you a bunch of ships shooting at eachother.

Yep so much gameplay involved *Sarcasm*

Let me guess. You watched the L4D intro and thought it was entirely cinematic and had nothing to do with gameplay?

Link to the intro in case you didn't watch it.

From what I saw, it showed some good and bad tactics. Teaser trailered the various ships and formations.

Sure, not up to L4D level, but it's not just a cinematic trailer like the kind you see with Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:06:01 am »

dammit, I thought of exactly the same concept, but im not a game developper anyway so I wouldn't be able to actually make the game.....

Still there are just some elements that should really be included, like realistic damage and targetting and boarding
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:18:12 am »

Boarding isn't very realistic. Also a horrible tactic that might cost you all your men.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 08:10:10 am »

Hm, the trailer looks awesome!  8)
However if the game is all about battles, it will get very boring real quick.  :-X

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 08:16:09 am »

Hm, the trailer looks awesome!  8)
However if the game is all about battles, it will get very boring real quick.  :-X
You can build your own ships,obviously.

What I'm gathering from this phrase however...
"This is not a tactical game, it is a strategic one. These gratuitous space battles are not won by plucky heroes with perfect teeth, but by the geeky starship builders who know exactly what ratio of plasma-cannons to engines each ship in the fleet will need."

Is that the developers might be implying a strategy based meta game similar to galactic conquest mode in certain starwars games.

Yes I'm making a wild guess...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 09:12:29 am »

I think that you have no control whatsoever during the actual battles. You design the ships, you arrange them into formations and maybe set some initial orders - and from then on, the battle unfolds itself without your input, relying only on strategic decisions at the start, and the design of the ships you put forward.

This is thematically similar to RoboRumble, where you build a robot and give it some simple "programming" to fight against another robot on the field.

I think it's a great idea. But. It NEEDS to model things other than weapons on the ships. The bridge, the engines, the radar, the reactors and the fuel tanks, they all need to be present.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 10:08:05 am »

Boarding isn't very realistic. Also a horrible tactic that might cost you all your men.

we are talking about spaceships shooting lasers at each other and you say that BOARDING is not realistic? Boarding was awsome in Master of Orion 2 and Homeworld.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 10:18:09 am »

Sigh.

Shooting lasers and giant space ships are "realistic" but boarding, is not.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HandWave

This is the only way to really have logical boarding. I'd rather not have boarding at all if we had to resort to handwaves.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 11:13:46 am »

If you can hit the ship with a boarding pod, you can hit it with a nuke.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6