Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Invading Unconscious Hammerdwarf  (Read 632 times)

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
[40d] Invading Unconscious Hammerdwarf
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:43:48 pm »

I found what appears to be a bug in v0.28.181.40d.  That is, every so often, the game will spawn a group of goblin invaders, as normal but with one major exception.  At the edge of the map (not actually next to the goblins, just near them), a hammerdwarf appears.  I've checked, and he appears as an invader, but he spawns unconscious and with light damage to several body parts, including all five left toes (though not to any other extremities).  He also carries an utterly ridiculous number of bracelets and other small and not-terribly-valuable crafts.  This has happened to me twice so far, but unfortunately I haven't yet thought to record very much information on it.  It also seems like the times that this happens are right around when I expect migrant waves; the goblins and single hammerdwarf show up instead.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

[EDIT] Oh, and one other thing: I was looking through the archives and noticed this post about something that seemed similar.  I think the two might be related, especially since once they died my dwarves immediately gave the invader hammerdwarves a good burial in my tombs.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:47:55 pm by Q-Lok »
Plays Dwarf Fortress when bored.  Is probably bored.

Current fort:
Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Invading Unconscious Hammerdwarf
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:15:19 am »

This is both strange and interesting. Except the part about the burial; all dwarves are united in death. If you get dwarf invaders raised by goblins (which would explain everything except here the crafts and wounds) and kill them defending your fort, they get a place in your tombs. As well as unlucky dwarf merchants.

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:26:23 am »

Hmm, okay, that makes some sense -- at least, the bit about the burial.  But they show up unconscious, and the first one didn't even wake up by the time my dwarves got around to killing him (which took quite awhile on account of the goblins).  The second one did manage to wake up and put himself in a martial trance, but then he just stood there while my guys beat him into paste.  Not really sure why that is.
Plays Dwarf Fortress when bored.  Is probably bored.

Current fort:
Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 01:43:43 am »

The unconscious hammerdwarf was babysnatched by goblins as a child and raised as one of their own. He got into a bunch of fights, which he won; he made some jewelry out of every one of his victims, all of which he carries with him. However, he also picked up a bunch of wounds during those fights, which he doesn't notice until he enters your map, at which point he promptly falls unconscious.

It's that last bit that's a bug (wounded invaders should have gotten over their wounds by the time they arrive on your map). The rest is all intentional.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:32:27 am »

The unconscious hammerdwarf was babysnatched by goblins as a child and raised as one of their own. He got into a bunch of fights, which he won; he made some jewelry out of every one of his victims, all of which he carries with him. However, he also picked up a bunch of wounds during those fights, which he doesn't notice until he enters your map, at which point he promptly falls unconscious.

It's that last bit that's a bug (wounded invaders should have gotten over their wounds by the time they arrive on your map). The rest is all intentional.

The thousands-of-bracelets thing is probably somewhat unintentional too.  But yeah, they're all known problems insofar as they're problems.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:06:51 pm »

The thousands-of-bracelets thing is probably somewhat unintentional too. 
Not really, he used the bracelets to elongate his arms so that he could defeat even more foes!
Or so I like to pretend.