Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Questions  (Read 6178 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 03:48:06 pm »

One issue I've noticed with the Orc mod is, really, how plain unbalanced it as.  Playing as anything and trying to take Orcs on, I die within a couple of turns at best, even one-on-one and with an attack of opportunity (Such as when they are sleeping).  Meanwhile, in one single life as an Orc, I killed 24 humans and brought about "The Age Of The Orcs" era before I was finally struck down.

Orcs were designed as difficult antagonists for fortress mode, and have been tuned with that in mind. They do passably well as foes in adventure mode, but they really weren't intended as a playable race since, yes, they are quite a bit better than dwarves/humans/elves. But that's a bit like complaining that the megabeasts are overpowered, since if you made them playable you could wreck havoc with them.

That said, WorkerDrone's suggestions about generating good Orc worlds is correct. Pocket worlds they do tend to dominate everything, but medium/large worlds normally have enough space that other races can build up enough to hold them at bay. Taking on the Orcish towers is a good challenge, as is wandering through evil biomes (giant wolf spider ambushes! All the Fun of GCS, but the cave has been replaced by more spiders!). Hope you have fun!
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 08:19:44 pm »

Oh and Rysith, did you know Dire Wolves infested the forests in LARGE worlds?

Yeah...they be lots of doggies. Big...bad...hungry doggies.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 08:00:27 pm »

Oh and Rysith, did you know Dire Wolves infested the forests in LARGE worlds?

Yeah...they be lots of doggies. Big...bad...hungry doggies.

Yep, ran into a few trying out adventure mode. Evil forests are much more dangerous now, and I like it. Evil forests should also have giant wood spiders, and evil tropical forests and shrublands should have armored war elephants. Watch out in evil places with the Orc mod  ;D.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 07:58:39 am »

Hell, you think that's bad?  Mix in the Dangerous Wilds mod.  Catoblepas.  My god, man.  You can't fight them, because they like coming in a herd.  And for the love of god, don't try to run from them!  They breathe fire, man!  FIRE!  5 cows breathing fire, and these are just regular animals!  Dire wolves and even those spiders don't have anything compared to that!  I haven't been able to actually outrun any encounter with them yet, simply because, well, I can't run faster than fire.  Maybe if I get lucky and don't take any major wounds when those flames hit my ass, but I'm not Richard Prier, getting out of that alive isn't easy.

And my god, the haunting moo...

The horror...
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 07:36:32 pm »

Its still not as scary as slowly getting eaten alive when your motionless, tangled in webs, in the murky dark, by a hairy enemy you can't even see...

This, is the reason why I want to flood every cave I see with magma. EVERY SPIDER MUST BE NUKED.

I'LL FLOOD FORESTS JUST KILL THE WOLF SPIDERS. YOU HEAR ME?! FLOOD THEM! WITH FIRE AND DEATH!

FIRE AND DEATH!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 09:47:35 pm »

Probably a dumb question right now, but is it possible to have pets in adventure mode (or future release)? Imagine how awesome it could be to have a pet GCS or GWS with you. Hunting would be so easy. It would also make for a pretty epic ride to locations. Scale sheer cliffs as well. :P

However, for a little bit of nightmare fuel, imagine being awakened by your pet giant spider. Just sleeping on the ground at peace, you feel a giant tongue slide across your face, you open your eyes and look up... only to see about 8 eyes and a couple fuzzy fangs welcoming your morning. :shudder:

EDIT:
After hunting, sell the silk. Ride into town making people think an army came by horseback. Nope, it was just my spider galloping across the field. It'll be like the off-road limousine of mounted units. :D

Ironically, I've had arachnophobia in the past, and because of this game, I'm thinking they could be epic. I'M CURED!!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:09:02 pm by Itnetlolor »

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 01:01:38 am »

I'd be all for pets and a general expansion of the party system, but I don't think we can get pets at the moment.  Maybe in the future though.

Oh Armok, the spice.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 01:30:43 am »

I'd probably get a few hunting dogs, only if they could be trained though.

Otherwise, what I'M hoping for is mounts.

That way, I could mod a Dragon mount in, and be a dragon rider. And that would be really awesome if you could use the > and < as you would if your race had flying, but it wouldn't really be flying, it would just be an option if you had a flying mount.

Mounted combat would just be awesome. I'MA BURNING YOUR FOREST RETREAT ELF! 'CAUSE I'M A DRAGON RIDER!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:39:07 am by WorkerDrone »

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 01:40:12 am »

Don't stop at the forest, burn the hills and then salt the wastelands to be sure they don't rise up again!

Oh Armok, the spice.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 02:01:42 am »

I suppose to get all that salt I'll have to heat up the nearby sea? Killing the local underwater utopia of mermaids?

Of course!

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 04:01:02 am »

Two with one stone, my friend!  You got the dragon, just make it target the ocean for a while!

Oh Armok, the spice.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 06:42:14 am »

Hell, I could also cause an eruption on that island in the middle of the sea, creating needed magma death, and also destroying the peaceful islanders in painful agony!

I'm starting to question the mental health of DF players in general.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 08:07:06 am »

Hell, I could also cause an eruption on that island in the middle of the sea, creating needed magma death, and also destroying the peaceful islanders in painful agony!

I'm starting to question the mental health of DF players in general.

Sanity is something for normal people, here in Dwarf Fortress we are INSANE!!!!!!!
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 02:31:51 pm »

Sanity is optional.

Oh Armok, the spice.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 05:51:04 pm »

Sanity!...Is for the weak...

Oh god I'm turning into a Chaos Space Marine.

Must read more Litanies, must read more Litanies.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD.

This does not bode well for the Elves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3