Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Questions  (Read 6176 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode Questions
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:13:05 pm »

I've got a few questions about Adventure Mode (I personally like Adventure mode, I find Fortress mode not to be to my tastes).  I've looked around but didn't see them answered anywhere else, and I'm starting to wonder if something's wrong with my copy of the game or something.

1: During Site Mode, no matter how far and wide I wander, I can never find anything.  At all.  If I search, I can find worms and beetles, but there is literally no other life out there.  No animals, no fish, no predators, no monsters, no NPCs outside of towns, no caves except the ones that quest point to, no nothing, just empty space.  Is that actually how the game is?  Is there anything I can do to make stuff spawn?  Or did something go wrong when I had it generate my world?

As an aside: I've noticed that, twice Kobolds apparently spawned and were killed by some monster in the same area as my quest target, but I can never find any trace of the Kobolds nor what actually was killing them.  It's like The X-Files or something.

2: I see people say that arrows and bolts are basically THE way to kill something, but I'm having trouble with that, both when trying a Bowman or when fighting one.  When I try, I can pepper the enemy with no real effect.  When I'm fighting one (So far the only Bowmen I've ever faced was when I decided to try to wrestle with the local priestess), I also literally take something like 10 arrows, only the last one, in the throat, dropping me for the High Priest to finish me off.

3: Is there any way to "aim" with a weapon?  I know that you can do it with wrestling, which is nice if a bit clunky, but I dislike trying to face against a Giant and hoping that I get a lucky cut again.  (I've tried bring in warriors, but they tend to get disabled or outright killed in one hit.  I've also tried throwing, which I'm told is highly unbalanced, but the absolute best that I've managed is throwing a sword from a previous death and cutting a hand or foot off)

4: I've heard, especially on these forums, alot about NPCs interacting with stuff and world history.  But I've found that, in my time, albeit short (Just a few days real-time so far) playing, that the NPCs seem to do pretty much nothing, and there's almost no war at all when looking at my Legends section.  There are personal fights mentioned in Family with NPCs, and in the Legends, but not much in the war department, nor NPCs doing anything on their own.

Thanks for any help clearing those up.  Also, here's to hoping that Toady starts working on the Adventurer Arc sometime this year, eh?
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 12:42:48 am »

*Cracks fingers*

1. While it isn't entirely impossible for something to be wrong with you world, like if you say messed with the RAWS, but the problem is likely very simple. There is a directional panel you have at all times which leads you (by now you should have learned to tell the difference between elven forest retreats, human towns, and Mountainhomes.) after a bit of travel to actual township sites. These can generally be found by using TRAVEL MODE. Which can be accessed by pushing (T)ravel, and not (t)hrow.

Animals CAN be encountered by simply traveling, but if its a fight you want, encounters happen after a bit of walking on the Travel Map. Which you should already know how to use, but it seems like you DON'T for some reason, or issue number 1 wouldn't have been mentioned. Life is easy to find in Adventure Mode.

And yes, in sites, you will get spammed with those messages, like a Dark Fortress for example, as the place is simply teeming with Chasm Creatures.

2. Arrows are highly unbalanced, but it doesn't make you a freaking god. Learn how to use a shield, not a bow.

3. No. Or its a matter I can't be hassled to address as I've never needed to 'aim'. The RNG is the fun part about this game.

4. You generated a smaller world, or just happened to get one with a boring history, which can happen...sometimes. Generate another world using Parameters. Select Large, and boom.

I also suggest you make use of Rysith's Orcs mod if its a Legends World you want. Just because you won't make a Fort (Though I suggest you give it a try again) doesn't mean you won't enjoy reading about some nice battles. As Orcs are a war with pretty much EVERYONE. All the time. Everytime.

Two last notes:

Don't get your hopes up, his main focus will be taking care of that damn Army Arc. 'Cause if its any kinda Arc he'll be working on, it'll be that one. Why? Two words. Orcs Mod.

And finally, why don't you stroll on over to Community Games Shima? Once you've been apart of a Community Fortress, read the stories, or even gave a succession game a shot, you won't be able to stop.

Oh, also, this needs to be moved over to Gameplay Questions.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:44:43 am by WorkerDrone »

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:53:39 am »

Yeah, I know how to Travel and such.  What I meant with 1. was more that I don't want to just use World Mode travel.  That is to say, see things out in the world while just wandering.  It's so bad that not a few hours ago I found a river in Site Mode and followed a river for slightly over 5 World squares to the ocean without seeing any other living thing at all.

I mostly balance my skills around a melee weapon and a shield, so no problem using one of those.

I'll look into messing with World Parameters and that Orc mod as well.  I hope those help with it, cause the peace is so palatable that even Goblins act neutral with everyone.

One of these days I'll probably give Fortress another go, but it probably won't be today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help either way!

And, uh, sorry about posting in the wrong section, I hadn't noticed the Questions subforum, heheh.

EDIT: Alright, good.  After installing Orcs and messing around with the generation, I've got a world with plenty of places and a glance at the Legends has a fair about of war going on.  Plus, another additional playable race after some quick hacking of the Orc file.

Again, thanks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:30:49 am by Shima »

Oh Armok, the spice.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 03:41:37 pm »

Easy way to start wars is to kill everything all the time in fortress mode.  Especially if you get
Spoiler: pwned (click to show/hide)
I don't know if that actually works.  I hope it does.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:59:18 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 02:48:34 am »

Easy way to start wars is to kill everything all the time in fortress mode.  Especially if you get
Spoiler: Pwned (click to show/hide)
I don't know if that actually works.  I hope it does.

Spoiler fail.

Edit: Thanks for fixing it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:11:34 pm by Yanlin »
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 03:21:09 am »

I whispered him but he ignored me for some reason.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 12:58:41 pm »

I whispered him but he ignored me for some reason.
Sorry, real life happened.  Attempting to fix it.  It worked.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 01:10:05 pm »

Hm.

Has anybody else noticed massive tunnels in Adventure Mode? I took my human hammerman, exterminated a gobbo tower, went down some stairs and stumbled upon a massive tunnel.

I think I just discovered why gobbos steal kids.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 03:45:43 pm »

You do occasionally see non aggressive wildlife like horses, and gazelle and the like, but they can psychically tell where you are unless you are sneaking, and they run away from you, so you are highly unlikely to see them. 

They're pretty hard to find even sneaking however, as they usually keep moving.  But they are there.  Load up dwarf companion sometime in adventure mode, then turn off dwarves only.  It will list all the creatures in the general area. 

P.S. Swamps are pretty sparse, most you'll likely find there is the occasional freshwater croc and any river fish.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 01:02:56 am »

Hm.

Has anybody else noticed massive tunnels in Adventure Mode? I took my human hammerman, exterminated a gobbo tower, went down some stairs and stumbled upon a massive tunnel.

I think I just discovered why gobbos steal kids.

Old news Mad Larks. Haven't seen them personally, as I usually just leave after crushing a Greenskin fortress, whether it be Orc or it be Goblin, no matter how many characters and Cannonfodder it takes. Right now its pointless to venture down tunnels, you have to bring an assload of water and food, I don't even think you CAN end up in anyplace. It probably keeps going on for a long time until you come across a dead end or something blocking the way.

What should be more interesting, is this thing I've noticed in worlds containing Large Forest realms.  With the Orcs mod of course.

You encounter Dire Wolves in SWARMS, its impossible to NOT encounter them after maybe 3 steps on the travel map.

Back on topic:

As for the Travel Map to Main constant map, that's just it. Adventure mode doesn't exactly have a whole lot to it right now, so your not going to get much fun out of the Regular Map unless you use the Travel Map about as much. Yes, most of the traveling you do will REALLY BE POINTLESS. If you wanted a challenge at any rate, animal ambushes is the only way to go.

Random animals in my experience don't last long, a couple of swings from my Steel Battle Axe (Because in adventure mode, its Dwarves or go home.) so I tend to go after better game. Like Orcs and Goblins.

I really suggest you make the most out of your gameplay by making use of mods, join in community games (There are a few look and see story Fort Modes, and a if you look way back, there we're a couple failed Adventure Mode Community Games. They just lost momentum to quickly I guess, but that could be because theres no Party system involved yet, though that should be on its way.

So in other words, don't give up on Adventure Mode Shima, good stuff is certainly coming, but I suggest you occupy yourself with the learning curve of Fort Mode, raid a few Orc Forts in Adventure mode, and maybe pop in and join something really epic like Lanternwebs.

As for now, Dwarf Fortress has plenty to offer. Just have go and get it.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 07:23:08 am »

Thanks, eh.

I've been working on learning Fortress mode.  I still don't care for it too much - like I said, hope Adventure mode gets updated sometime this year, it generally interests me more than managing a bunch of shorties, heheh.

One issue I've noticed with the Orc mod is, really, how plain unbalanced it as.  Playing as anything and trying to take Orcs on, I die within a couple of turns at best, even one-on-one and with an attack of opportunity (Such as when they are sleeping).  Meanwhile, in one single life as an Orc, I killed 24 humans and brought about "The Age Of The Orcs" era before I was finally struck down.

But overall, I'm working on it.  Gonna look through mods some more and see what all I get get together for a wider experience.

Oh Armok, the spice.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 06:53:20 pm »

Ya only had to kill 24 to bring about a new era?

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »

It's in a pocket world I was using to test the Orc mod.  Turns out the Orcs had entirely ravaged the Elves (To set it in, the leader rounded up all the children at the end and either crucified, burned alive, buried, drowned, or just have them rent asunder), to the point where only about 3 survived, eventually trying to come back 30 years after that battle (The Elvish leader did manage a good counter-attack on the Orcish towers though, I was impressed reading her legend).  Elves were off so bad they aren't even listed as playables.

There is one cave of Kobolds, but very few and subjugated by alligators and a giant, with only two noteworthy figures (An impressive thief, and their Swordmaster, who lost an arm and both legs slaying their main antagonist).

The humans were doing okay, just a couple of cyclopsi screwing them, even had some legendaries (Like one who had killed something like 30 alligators, several Named ones, and only finally died years after losing a hand in battle with them).

There's a small group of Dwarves to the north, as well, but they aren't noteworthy in that world.

At this point, the Orcs have outbred everything else so fast that the History has pages and pages of "b. 198, b.199", the world only being 201 years old.  Since they are so strong, both in numbers and physical power, nothing can oppose them.

Most of the landscape is somewhere between Sinister and Terrifying.  Werewolves, Ogres, so forth, all common random encounters.

Oh Armok, the spice.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 08:32:34 pm »

Okay. Now make a LARGE world. In some places, it'll be EXACTLY like that, but on ten times the scale. But unfortunately, it won't be ALL grim like I would hope, as some natural obstacles blockade the Orcs' growth and genocidic intentions.

At anyrate, yes there are some fairly awesome legends you can read with this mod, seeing as how the wars are very frequent and often pretty gruesome.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 08:42:17 am »

Chaos is where I love to be.  Happens that, after mixing in the Dangerous Wilds mod, changing it ever so slightly (Mostly making all races playable), and generating a custom world, I've got all the chaos I could ever handle.  Right now I'm in the middle of a Gnomish fortress that happens to be built next to a cleft.

As you can imagine, all kinds of fun is happening.  Makes me wish I hadn't chosen Spearman for this life.

Oh Armok, the spice.
Pages: [1] 2 3