Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The dwarven cinema - Challenge idea  (Read 897 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The dwarven cinema - Challenge idea
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:49:01 pm »

Everyone likes to go to a movie or play, eat a snack, right? If you happen to need to use the restroom, it's nice that they have one. Why not let dwarves enjoy the cinema too? So I challenge players to make a special type of fort.

• A 7 story tall chamber, or taller
  • The space dug out should always be 21x51 or larger
  • Use gem windows to make three ASCII dwarves, or more
  • Have at least 18 3x3 'stalls' meaning a grate and flowing water
  • All walls must be smoothed
  • On a higher up level, a wooden balcony with steel railings and high class seating
  • At a slightly lower level, a dining parlor with glass windows along the whole wall
  • Statue nooks on each level, in a checkerboard pattern (all the emmy's won by the theater)
  • A food stock nearby
  • Rows of chairs on the bottom level for commoner seating

Make sure to meet or surpass these requirements and then write a small script of what is happening. Anything from a noble ordering his hammerer upon a ranger for failure to make tin items, to surly miners having a drink and a chat.

There will be four categories of judging:
Best script; best theatre; best movie screen; swiftest completion. Every winner receives 10 internets and the renown of being a winner of the Dwarven Oscar! So get to building and may the booze keep flowing!
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The dwarven cinema - Challenge idea
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 06:10:02 am »

Why not make the screen out of clear glass, and have it overlooking a promising part of the landscape?  Like a battleground, trap infested area, or huge lava pit? 

Give the moviegoeers something to watch.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:13:15 am »

Yeah, like a glass screen in front of a lava pit with a crossbowdwarf and crossbowgoblin on tiny floating platforms shooting eachother.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:01:30 am »

Well, the game doesen't support moving pictures, but you can put it by the artifact stockpile.

Or consider what dwarves like to watch: Mist. Pump water in, build everything on fortifications built in the level below, designate the area as a dining room, and you've got a dwarf-happy-maker.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 03:34:34 pm »

Because the idea is a fricken cinema not a godamn waterfall.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.