Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: One item embark  (Read 4706 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One item embark
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2009, 12:47:47 am »

I would bring booze and dogs.  The dogs would not be used for food in the first year, they are there for defense.  The 3 logs from the wagon would become 2 kitchens and a still.  Two dwarves would be cooking biscuits, 1 dwarf brewing and the rest would be gathering/farming.

Dwarves get some really good happy thoughts from fine drink and fine food.  It should be enough to get them to autumn.  They would then remove the workshops and put up a depot.  Prepared meals have a decent value which should be enough to get all the needed supplies from the caravan.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2009, 01:43:38 am »

one item huh?

bauxite blocks

anything else will come with time...... (i already do this actually)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2009, 02:18:03 am »

Balls.

Because if your not willing to take risks in this game, you shouldn't even bother playing.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2009, 06:53:06 am »

find a civ that trades bauxite, if you don't rely on all of the traders surviving the roaming skelk herd then you just aren't trying...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2009, 07:17:38 am »

Anvil.Id make a trade depot out of my wagon,survive on herbalism and farming and buy a pick whem a wagon arrives.I would then make an axe.Why anvil?Picks are cheaper.If not id take the pick.Or tower cap logs.Build a fishery,a craftsdwarfs workshop and keep the crafts pumping.Youl get an anvil,axe,pick and everything you need quite fast.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2009, 07:32:08 am »

What about no traders?
It would pretty much have to be picks, you don't need beds if you have a nice enough dining room, and metalworking is overrated...

It might be fun to go with the booze start and see how long you can last with a bunch of wild dwarves roaming the countryside with a healthy supply of bone crossbows, bone armour, bone decorations, and leather clothes... An entire fortress' worth of marksdwarves might be able to pull it off... Bonus points if you turn off immigration...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2009, 08:10:17 am »

The question is only reasonable if there are no traders. Otherwise, you don't really need anything to survive, because you can buy anything your fortress lacks.

But if there are no traders... well, what's most important for a dwarf?
There are two answers: magma and booze.
And if you have no wood and so no barrels, you will have no booze. Therefore, you need axes.
But if you can't strike the earth, you cannot ever reach magma. Therefore, you need picks.
So axes are for alcohol-likers, and picks are for magma-likers. Keep in mind that you won't be able to do any metalworking in both cases, and magma could only be used for glassmaking.

P.S. In case of no traders, defense is irrelevant, since no goblins will come after you (they have that PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2 in the raws, remember?). Or at least they won't be coming until very much late in the game, and by then you are going to have lots of military dwarves.

The Orange Mage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2009, 10:34:41 pm »

I started a new one-axe embark with tweaked skills based on what came up last time, but damnit there's no wildlife to hunt like before! Oh well, at least my farming is going better than last time.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5717-singleaxe

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2009, 10:44:27 pm »

It's hard to go wrong with 500 or so logs. All you need is an herbalist and some plants and all your immediate needs are covered. Trade off some booze roasts for axe/pick/anvil when the autumn caravan rolls in and you're all set.

The Orange Mage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2009, 10:49:11 pm »

actually now that you mention it that would be a billion times easier than a single axe. frees up an entire dwarf who would otherwise be busy all the time.

however I prefer to do the elf-offending myself. plus I really think it'd be insane to have a wagon filled with that unrealistic a number of logs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2009, 11:04:02 pm »

Yeah, it's perfectly possible to survive a no item embark, providing huntable animals and herbs are plentiful, and you manage to get essentials from arriving caravans.

3 wood from your wagon to shuffle around and alternate between whatever (non-flame) workshops you need at the time.  Trade Depot come Autumn.  This would be a very thin proposition. 

Still wouldn't be needed unless one of those 3 wood becomes a barrel - a single barrel.  Maybe worth it to keep morale up - maybe necessary.

Butchery/Tannery/Leatherworks for those animals your dwarfs wrestle to death.  A couple bags for gathering seeds, maybe some armor, and some AG farmplots.  Meanwhile, deconstruct the butchery for a Kitchen to make some tallow biscuits to stretch the food.  Maybe a farmer's workshop for short periods, depending on the crops you find.

A lot of idlers - would sacrificing one wood for a bed, to then designate a (outdoors?) barracks so you can train them be worth it?  (Without much armour, that one bed will soon be occupied by wounded - but without training, it will soon be so anyway when the natives grow restless.)  What about a bucket for those wounded - that'd be another wood...

Ouch. This would be tough, and hardly guaranteed, but possible. 

Anyone up for the challenge?

Well I've done this before, by mistake, but I suppose I could do it again. I'll take some screenshots as I go, maybe keep notes. I've never done a 'challenge' so I'm not sure what the standard accepted documentation is.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2009, 02:52:16 am »

as many sweet pods as your points will buy.

You get a ton of barrels for free with them. so, turn some of the the sweet pods into alcohol, turn the rest into syrup and bake them syrup into roasts. Use the wood from the wagon for workshops, then when everything is done make it into a trade depot. trade the roasts to the dwarf caravan for whatever you need.

This way you can embark in any location (aquifer, frozen with nothing to use herbalism on, etc) and still survive.

Edit: sweet pods because first they are processed into barrels which you are getting for free, though I guess if you want to make alcohol roasts any plant will work - I feel making all booze roasts is cheating though.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2009, 03:00:59 am »

actually now that you mention it that would be a billion times easier than a single axe. frees up an entire dwarf who would otherwise be busy all the time.

however I prefer to do the elf-offending myself. plus I really think it'd be insane to have a wagon filled with that unrealistic a number of logs.

Take a cart full of axes; 7 dorfs with axes are going to remove that forest mighty quick.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2009, 03:37:24 am »

And as a bonus, those axes work pretty well on liaisons too, you just need to drive them insane first...
Read the First Post!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2009, 03:54:13 am »

as many sweet pods as your points will buy.

You get a ton of barrels for free with them. so, turn some of the the sweet pods into alcohol, turn the rest into syrup and bake them syrup into roasts. Use the wood from the wagon for workshops, then when everything is done make it into a trade depot. trade the roasts to the dwarf caravan for whatever you need.

This way you can embark in any location (aquifer, frozen with nothing to use herbalism on, etc) and still survive.

Edit: sweet pods because first they are processed into barrels which you are getting for free, though I guess if you want to make alcohol roasts any plant will work - I feel making all booze roasts is cheating though.

But wait, if you do this you'll just end up with lots of barrels full of sweet pods. You need at least one empty barrel to make booze or syrup I thought. All of yours will be full.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5