Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: One item embark  (Read 4722 times)

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One item embark
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 09:06:40 pm »

Mod cats so they only cost 1 point at embark.

Buy as many as possible, should be above 1800 cats.

LET THEM BREED.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 09:09:25 pm »

Pick. Which makes rocks. Which makes buildings. Which makes trade goods. Which makes profit. Which makes the ability to buy the axe if an immigrant woodcutter doesn't come. Even without beds a tantrum spiral usually doesn't happen until winter for me and I almost always get a spare axe by fall.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:03 pm »

Mod cats so they only cost 1 point at embark.

Buy as many as possible, should be above 1800 cats.

LET THEM BREED.

Do you want to have to buy share time on distributed.net or the seti project or folding at home or...
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 09:58:20 pm »

With 1 item, you have to wait for the caravan for something - need a pick to get stone and an axe, can't cut wood without an axe, can't forge a new weapon without an anvil, can't do it all with just one.

There's a "minimalist build" in the wiki - 1 anvil & 2 copper nuggets - and that's everything you need to be self sufficient.  Even without any caravan, you can build your entire fortress starting with just that.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 10:00:28 pm »

There's a "minimalist build" in the wiki - 1 anvil & 2 copper nuggets - and that's everything you need to be self sufficient.  Even without any caravan, you can build your entire fortress starting with just that.

Not if you embark on a glacier. :(

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 10:13:25 pm »

well, glacier+magma is fun, especialy when the imps come out to play :)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 10:31:11 pm »

If I cannot bring a pick or an axe...

I choose war dogs. With the three wagon logs I can make a butcher shop, a tanner, a leatherworker, a craftshop, and a kitchen. I can eat any puppies (I've modded my dogs to give birth to 10 at a time), and use the bones and leather to make crafts which I can sell. I'll let a few dogs mature to defend the fort and give birth to more puppies.

Of course, if I didn't mod my dogs to make tons of babies, I would bring a crapload of wood or stone to make an above ground fortress and start selling food.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 02:24:23 am »

You really need nothing of this. On most of locations you can buy/steal everything. And there, where you can not (glacier), you would propably not survive with pick only.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 02:34:26 am »

Well, not if you embark anywhere with no trees, no, agreed.

But embarking on a glacier is asking for abuse.  Might as well duct-tape a jar of vaseline above your bum and grab your ankles, frog hopping backwards at the gobbos, shouting "Bugger me! Bugger me!" 

You get what you ask for.  :-\

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 04:55:17 am »

War Dogs; a supurb supply of food and i can raid the nearby Goblin Towers for some useful Goblinite Ore.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 11:55:41 am »

Pickaxe gets my vote.  Since I could only take one item type, may as well make them steel pickaxes and bring one for each dwarf, for defence.  I can quite easily defend myself with traps alone, and I can build a fairly good fortress with my standing Mining Army.  Who needs bins when you have 1000s of stockpile places?

Then I'd just buy an axe and everything else using the mugs I'd made in the first 6 months.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 12:38:22 pm »

Obvious choices:

Pick: dig, build, craft, trade.
Axe: chop down trees, wear high heels, build, craft, trade.
Other weapon: disassemble wagon, build, hunt, craft, cook, trade.
Sharp stone (Obsidian): build, craft, disassemble wagon, make a sword, hunt, craft, cook, trade.
Stone: build, craft, trade.
Wood: build, craft, trade.

Less obvious choices:

Plants/Meat/Fish/Booze/Cheese/Cookable Extracts: disassemble wagon, build, cook, trade.
Animals: disassemble wagon, build, breed, slaughter, craft, cook, trade.
Leather/Cloth: disassemble wagon, build, craft, trade.
Thread: disassemble wagon, build, weave, craft, trade.

Really weird things:

Rest: disassemble wagon, forage, (cook,) trade.

Very strange things:

Nothing: disassemble wagon, build, forage, cook, trade.

After the trading (and a pick/axe/anvil, source of coal, nuggets) things will be easier.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 12:48:51 pm »

Obvious choices:

Pick: dig, build, craft, trade.
Axe: chop down trees, wear high heels, build, craft, trade.
Other weapon: disassemble wagon, build, hunt, craft, cook, trade.
Sharp stone (Obsidian): build, craft, disassemble wagon, make a sword, hunt, craft, cook, trade.
Stone: build, craft, trade.
Wood: build, craft, trade.

Less obvious choices:

Plants/Meat/Fish/Booze/Cheese/Cookable Extracts: disassemble wagon, build, cook, trade.
Animals: disassemble wagon, build, breed, slaughter, craft, cook, trade.
Leather/Cloth: disassemble wagon, build, craft, trade.
Thread: disassemble wagon, build, weave, craft, trade.

Really weird things:

Rest: disassemble wagon, forage, (cook,) trade.

Very strange things:

Nothing: disassemble wagon, build, forage, cook, trade.

After the trading (and a pick/axe/anvil, source of coal, nuggets) things will be easier.
Yeah, it's perfectly possible to survive a no item embark, providing huntable animals and herbs are plentiful, and you manage to get essentials from arriving caravans.  It may even be possible to "Embark now!" but that would be even tougher.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 01:51:47 pm »

Picks, I can mine out a fortress, construct all sorts of stuff, wait for an ambush/seige and steal axes from the invaders and go on from there.

Simple enough.

EDIT:
Then again, my dwarves won't have any beds to sleep on, but they could have tables and chairs, and legendary dining halls. I can even carve out some rock swords and such for some sort of defense.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 02:12:52 pm by Itnetlolor »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 02:34:48 pm »

Yeah, it's perfectly possible to survive a no item embark, providing huntable animals and herbs are plentiful, and you manage to get essentials from arriving caravans.

3 wood from your wagon to shuffle around and alternate between whatever (non-flame) workshops you need at the time.  Trade Depot come Autumn.  This would be a very thin proposition. 

Still wouldn't be needed unless one of those 3 wood becomes a barrel - a single barrel.  Maybe worth it to keep morale up - maybe necessary.

Butchery/Tannery/Leatherworks for those animals your dwarfs wrestle to death.  A couple bags for gathering seeds, maybe some armor, and some AG farmplots.  Meanwhile, deconstruct the butchery for a Kitchen to make some tallow biscuits to stretch the food.  Maybe a farmer's workshop for short periods, depending on the crops you find.

A lot of idlers - would sacrificing one wood for a bed, to then designate a (outdoors?) barracks so you can train them be worth it?  (Without much armour, that one bed will soon be occupied by wounded - but without training, it will soon be so anyway when the natives grow restless.)  What about a bucket for those wounded - that'd be another wood...

Ouch. This would be tough, and hardly guaranteed, but possible. 

Anyone up for the challenge?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5