Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: One item embark  (Read 4717 times)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
One item embark
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:42:34 pm »

Take your starting points, spend them on any skills you want, but you may only take one item with you.

As many of that item as you want, but nothing else.

What's your object and why.

(you WOULD be able to trade for anything you want later)

Common replies are:

Axe
Pick

Uncommon replies:
sweet pods
Stone
Logs

Very Uncommon replies:
Anvils
Cats
war dogs

Somehow, Urist McCateater your my favorite so far.  Dare you to embark it and story it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 08:38:54 am by Nightwind »
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One item embark
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »

Pick. The essential tool, gives you a place to stay and building material. All things come from the pick. The pick is the lifebringer.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:54:32 pm »

Definitely the axe.  A pick is nice, but you can't get barrels or beds from a pick alone.  An axe would allow you to set up a nice above-ground fortress, provided there's enough wood.  You can forage for food for a little while, and eventually set up above-ground farms.  Get a wooden palisade up for defense, and use wooden crossbows with wooden bolts for hunting.  Then use the bones from hunting for armor, with your military equipped with axes.  The only thing a pick could get you that an axe can't would be mechanisms.  Given, without a pick there's also no metalworking, but you can find replacements for most metal objects.

A lack of a pick also means a lack of fun with magma, so this may not be acceptable for some...
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:55:33 pm »

Mining picks.Just..mining picks.
Either that or Steel axes,depending on if I play either an aboveground or underground fortress.
The answer to "Why?" is quite easy;without the possibility to creat ressources for the most basic craftings (ia. stones/wood) you cannot trade in for more needed items to expand your current possibilitys and not being able to produce any housings/rooms may make your beginning alot harder than it should be.As food/booze source herbalism will have to do and if there is no vegetation..well..itīs starving dwarfes for you!
An arguement for starting with an axe is clearly the ability to make barrels for your boozeproduction,however it will hinder your ability to expand until you are able to trade for a pick.Not to mention that treeīs might be sparse in thre region you are currently in.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:03:22 pm »

Tower cap logs. Can build a small fort, forage for food, and make some crafts and weapons no matter where you are. When the dwarves roll around, you can probably snag a pick.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 06:05:17 pm »

Bravery.

You need nothing at all. Not even that 3 logs from wagon. You can feed your dwarves with herbalism and farming (or let them parasite in some town) long enough to steal an axe, get wood to build trade depot and buy everything you want.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 06:22:05 pm »

Magma.

Because without magma, what's the point of living?

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:31:34 pm »

Cats.

They're tasty, and if the orcs can wade through >9000 cats, then they deserve to kill my dwarves.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:39:59 pm »

hmm, well, one item is clearly the pick. add in magma+sand on your site, and you can do almost anything.

but... one item plus a few stones would be the Anvil. from the anvil comes all things. you just need the 4 stones to build the forge, the smelter, the wood burner if you lack magma(Armok forbid), the and if you have sand a glass furnace. 2 logs would be enough charcoal to melt an anvil and forge an axe to get more wood, if magma is lacking. otherwise its straight top forging picks from anvils. a pity that the mighty anvil is useless alone...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 06:47:01 pm »

A magical bag that lets me steal things from people that are far away from me. Then I'd steal 2 picks, an axe, and an anivl, along with lots of seeds.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 06:51:31 pm »

Pick is the obvious winner here. So what if you couldn't take a pick?

In that situation, it's a tradeoff between axes, or a crapton of raw stone. Both provide the raw materials needed to make things; the axe also serves as a weapon, but you're somewhat more limited in what you can do with wood than with stone. Beds and barrels aren't strictly necessary (and besides, you get three logs from the wagon).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 06:55:14 pm »

Booze. Keep drinking, forget what the original question was.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 07:27:58 pm »

Definately a pick.

Mine stone, coal and metal deposits.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 07:49:16 pm »

Of course, coal and metal deposits don't do you any good if you don't have an anvil.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »

Yeah, that just struck me. :P
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5