Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Dreams!!!  (Read 4757 times)

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
The Dreams!!!
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:45:36 am »

Does anyone else dream in ASCII like i do? Just curious because after playing too much DF I begin to dream about projects and fortresses and I want to go build them when i wake up. Just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The Dreams!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:21:52 am »

Every dwarf fortress player worth his salt has had a DF dream, those who say they haven't are either lying, new to dwarf fortress, or they don't play dwarf fortress.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:30:36 pm »

I had a nightmare I was a noble once.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:35:44 pm »

I had a nightmare I was a noble once.

Oh god that must've been terrifying.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Jakkarra

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:21:12 pm »

i had a dream in sprite graphics once, does that count?

(twas about Duke nukem)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 02:34:17 pm »

I've had a few DF themed ones that I can remember, cant remember how things looked though, I just knew I was in a vast fortress and surrounded by dwarves doing this and that.

Oh and the Tetris dreams... too much tetris a few years back :P.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:43:04 pm »

Well... I can tell my subconsciousness what to do in the idle time that is called sleeping... and this is quite frequently df ^^...
I think it's more damaging to you if you can only think of workshop-designs when you SHOULD listen to the prof giving you a lecture about "how to java"... 

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 03:18:00 pm »

My dreams haunt me with an idealized universe were everything goes right.

Jakkarra

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 03:26:00 pm »

My dreams haunt me with an idealized universe were everything goes right.

my god, its happening!

the APOCOLYPSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 03:36:11 pm »

I admit it, i dreamed with DF once. It was very engraving like, i remember being a dwarf surrounded by dwarves, digging stuff. It wasn't in ASCII though, more like a FPS.

Basically my dream can be resumed on a engraving:

This is a masterfully designed engraving of dwarfs by Dakk Titalcog. The dwarfs are digging. Dakk is surrounded by the dwarfs. This relates to the founding of The Dream of Dwarfs in the summer of 2008.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:38:31 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Liwjatan

• Bay Watcher
  • I swallow your soul!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 04:11:06 pm »

Ah ..the dreams...the dreams..

First you believe youīve left it all behind,thinking that you no longer suffer under the opression of Dwarf Fortress.The air seems fresher,puppies and laughter embedd you in a spirale of reliev and joy..
..but no..that is when the dreams begin..
Nightmares of enourmus caves,pitckblack and dark as a moonless nights,deadsilent as a graveyard..but then is when you hear a voice - at first nothing but a distant echo,but growing louter by the second -driven by madness,declaring itīs need for cut crystal glass.No,the voice does not remain alone,sooner or later another one joins the muttering of the first,this one however demands a golden statue in his Dining hall.More and more will enter this duet until it soccumbs into a chorus of chaos and insanity.And just,just before it ends,you hear a loud cry of a Dwarf going Berserk..

..but that is not enough for Dwarf Fortress..it beckons and it wonīt stop until it has you under itīs clutches once more..you will start seeing things..movement in the shadows.Woolen beards in the dark,waving in the wind and are gone mere moments later,taunting you and your attempts to leave DF behind,no,they are but futile.
It will never go away,it will never leave!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 08:10:40 pm »

Ah ..the dreams...the dreams..

First you believe youīve left it all behind,thinking that you no longer suffer under the opression of Dwarf Fortress.The air seems fresher,puppies and laughter embedd you in a spirale of reliev and joy..
..but no..that is when the dreams begin..
Nightmares of enourmus caves,pitckblack and dark as a moonless nights,deadsilent as a graveyard..but then is when you hear a voice - at first nothing but a distant echo,but growing louter by the second -driven by madness,declaring itīs need for cut crystal glass.No,the voice does not remain alone,sooner or later another one joins the muttering of the first,this one however demands a golden statue in his Dining hall.More and more will enter this duet until it soccumbs into a chorus of chaos and insanity.And just,just before it ends,you hear a loud cry of a Dwarf going Berserk..

..but that is not enough for Dwarf Fortress..it beckons and it wonīt stop until it has you under itīs clutches once more..you will start seeing things..movement in the shadows.Woolen beards in the dark,waving in the wind and are gone mere moments later,taunting you and your attempts to leave DF behind,no,they are but futile.
It will never go away,it will never leave!

Elephants roaring somewhere in the distance, the endless screamming of dwarves from a nearby river, and the ever-lurking threat of goblins in the outskirts of your settlement.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:13:42 pm by Ultimuh »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 08:17:21 pm »

I once had a dream where I was playing the next version, (circa 0.28.181.40d) I had no idea what was going on, but it sorta looked like this. . . well O.K. I barely remember what I saw but I do remember a line and question of somesorts!

▓ is garbled text I can't remember.

A. Yes▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓will▓▓▓▓▓▓work▓▓▓▓▓▓against▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

B. No▓▓▓▓we▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓not▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 02:15:41 am »

Gah, it's bad enough when your dreaming about a game, but think about poor Toady, because when you program a game your dreams get even crazier!

The amount of times I've been working on a program, have gone to bed, and dreamt about lines and lines and line of code.

DF dreams aren't quite as bad as programming dreams but they're still weird.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 04:24:18 am »

I had a dream that a flow of lava and a grassfire approached eachother at a fort's entrance. I wanted to know which one would win. After the lava and the grassfire had struggled next to eachother for ages, the lava won, because it flowed over the fire. And then they became obsidian mountains.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4