Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Dreams!!!  (Read 4746 times)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Re: The Dreams!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 09:48:17 am »

When I dream DF, I dream what the current goal of my fort would look like from the perspective of a dwarf, for example, a wide chasm, one side covered in windows, gently glowing from torches and fireplaces and stuff, while the whole chasm is criss-crossed by narrow bridges, into crude tunnels on the other side, escept for 4 imposing bridges, all made of enourmous microcline blocks. One is the main entrance, covered in grandeur, and flanked by battlements, siege equipment, a number of flood-gate closed pipes, etc. Another one, deeper down, if the access to the underground road network, which is more or less the same. The other two are large arches carrying aquaducts, one filled with foaming water, which exits the fort in a foaming waterfall in the distance, higher up than the tunnel enters the wall, and one carrying glowing magma, giving the entire subterranean chasm a red glow.

Oh, and there are a number of caves in the fort side, including forges that shower sparks all over the depths below, a magmafall somewhere, stuff like that.
A potential extra I just thought off are tamed giant cave swallows ridden by enslaved kobolds, patrolling the depths for tunneling invasions.

but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 01:14:20 pm »

I once dreamt that I was a peasant dwarf and a noble decided I should become a miner (sacrifice) for a very important digging project (magma). I didnt want to die so I went and hid under a friends bed, while the guards came looking for me. The rest of the dream involved the guards searching the room while my friend sat on the bed, slowly crushing me.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 03:20:50 pm »

I once dreamt that I was a peasant dwarf and a noble decided I should become a miner (sacrifice) for a very important digging project (magma). I didnt want to die so I went and hid under a friends bed, while the guards came looking for me. The rest of the dream involved the guards searching the room while my friend sat on the bed, slowly crushing me.

So you were under your bed when you woke up?  ;D

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »

I had a nightmare I was a noble once.

Oh god that must've been terrifying.
No wonder that nobles always screw over our fortresses

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 06:04:22 pm »

I had a dream last night that Tarn came and slept on my futon, I live near DC, walking distance to metro in fact and he wanted to visit the National Zoo the next day, so I invited my other DF playing buddy over and we all got drinks that night.

Too bad is was just a dream.
I'm back!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 08:13:54 pm »

Yep, I've had DF dreams, and continue to do so occasionally, even though it's been many moons since I've actually *played the game*.  :-\
For they would be your masters.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 08:38:56 pm »

I had a DF dream once, but it was more like watching a movie (not in ASCII). I wrote a good chunk of it down, but am waiting on the next version before commiting to it.

I've dreamed in code too, and I've dreamed a bit of the RPG I'm designing. It's freaky to see myself playing a game that currently is in very early stages of development.

The worst was dreaming about Doom, a mixture of Doom monster sprites and real life. That was weird. I've also dreamed about being in a typical fantasy world, though I couldn't give you an exact one.

Fun fact, one of the quests I have in my RPG is straight from my dream. I dreamed it, watching myself play it, then wrote it down.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 08:48:35 pm »

Every dwarf fortress player worth his salt has had a DF dream, those who say they haven't are either lying, new to dwarf fortress, or they don't play dwarf fortress.
Or they are weird people who normally don't remember what they were dreaming of  ;D

I remember a dream this past week, but I don't remember any DF-related details.  There may have been, but I can't recall.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jakkarra

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 09:00:46 pm »

Every dwarf fortress player worth his salt has had a DF dream, those who say they haven't are either lying, new to dwarf fortress, or they don't play dwarf fortress.
Or they are weird people who normally don't remember what they were dreaming of  ;D

I remember a dream this past week, but I don't remember any DF-related details.  There may have been, but I can't recall.

yeah, im the same Legolord, i can't usually remember my dreams at all, but once in a while i DO remember one and its all there in my head, and then i forget...

love, jakkarra

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2009, 10:23:34 pm »

I once had a dream about waking up to find myself at the base of a mountain. Halfway up it, I saw a truly massive 30ft tall, 20ft wide arch in the side of the mountain with a roadway leading up to it. The bricks were all cut and laid perfectly, solid chunks of granite. Along the side were tiny little arches of copper tubing, maybe half a foot tall. At the very top were two golden pillars with steel statues on top. I walked up and saw that the whole thing was perfectly smooth, like a laser had drilled it out. After walking for maybe 5 minutes, I came to a perfectly circular chamber where a large granite drawbridge crossed over an underground pool about 10 feet above the pool. On each side of the bridge, a massive screwpump with natural stone supports created a pleasent waterfall on each side. Continuing onwards I came to an extremely huge valley in the mountain, the cliff faces shear on the sides and the only way being forwards across the valley. A river flowed towards the valley, cascaded down the side, and flowed across the width of it before going down a specially carved drainage tunnel. All in all, I'd say the valley was .5x.5 miles. On the side opposite how I got there, there was a carved out plateau, above a large tunnel entrance. On the plateau were maybe 20 or so trebuchets, all of them truly massive, about 6 times larger than a car. I crossed this river using one of several wooden bridges and went into the tunnel. I finally came to another perfectly circular area, except this one was a shaft that went from the very tip of the mountain, deep into the earth. Maybe 10 feet back from the edge of this shaft were side tunnels. On the left, a gentle slope leading up, on the right a gentle slope, leading down. Going back to the shaft, I looked up and saw windows looking into the shaft, all in a slope following the stairway exactly. I looked down and saw that maybe 30 feet below me and on the other side of the shaft was a large workchamber that had a side exposed to the shaft. There were several stone lions heads set into the wall, spewing a slow trickle of magma into channels that drained off just the right amount off of the side. There were several unused forges and smelters, and a large number of other workshop areas nearby. I went back to the stairs and went down to the right. When I reached the workshops, I saw that there was a spiral stairway that went down, right by the forges. It had the occasional window that looked straight into the small curtain of magma. Getting to the bottom I found out that the magma poured down a small hole and from the sound of it, dropped a fair distance. I saw a small blueprint etched into the wall and it depicted the magma heating a vat of water, that would steam out through many small holes in the ground and the steam seemed to be hitting some sort of suspended box. Going around the shaft in this tunnel at the base, I found a door opposite the stairway. I went out into it and found the floor uncannily warm with many of the holes clogged up. I saw also that the suspended boxes were just that, a grid of bars that had many planters of fungus and bushes hanging from the bars. It was just all so extremely glorious, so I kept walking and eventually just ended up climbing all the way to the top of the shaft. At the very top was a small inscription that said "Life is adversity. Where we are challenged, we thrive". And with that, I just fell backwards into the shaft, looking up into the blue sky, thinking that this was the most beatiful feeling and the most beatiful sight.

Of course
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2009, 10:32:45 pm »

I've only had one DF-connected dream...it's a little fuzzy, but I seem to recall there being something about an abandoned mansion out in the wilderness that a bunch of people and myself had gone to, ala horror movies. I saw giant cave spiders on the way in. By which I mean I saw little S symbols.  ::)
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2009, 10:46:23 pm »

Of course

Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 01:10:47 am »

Of course

The last time that happened to me it gave me a fear of drowning that I still have to this day.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 01:13:35 am »

I'm usually dreaming that I'm falling off the bed when that happens.

Does anybody else have the nightmare that your teeth are falling out?
For they would be your masters.

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2009, 01:25:59 am »

Yes,

about the teeth falling out

but not for a long time. It was when I was a teenager. I was in a treehouse and there were zombies down below. and all my teeth fell out. if you read some out of a dream analysis book they will say that it means that you are self conscious for some reason. I don't venture to interpret dreams. but I will say this. The more George Romero movies you watch, the more fun zombie dreams become.
I'm back!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4