Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 1 & 2: The Sacrifice is out! All things Left 4 Dead 66% off!  (Read 65231 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "Pills here!" Free Friday! Play now!
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2009, 04:29:40 pm »

I just returned from hours upon hours of L4D, I don't even know how many it was. Twice I got up to get something to eat, on the first time it was half past nine and after a seemingly short while of Versus it was already midnight.

The addictiveness of this game is terrifying. Though this was my first try at versus, so I hope it won't be like this every time. I didn't even do that well, especially not on the Survivor side.

I don't remember any game having this powerful grip on me, like ever. DF would count, but playing it there's always a clock in the down-right so I automatically stop when too long a time has passed.

And damn how wired you get from this game, I stopped playing half an hour ago and I'm still all twitchy. I feel the need to play more, but I think I shouldn't.

I didn't expect L4D being scary this way.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:32:12 pm by LASD »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2009, 04:34:40 pm »

The problem isn't about high calibre bullets pentrating sheets of plywood. I asked him in a friendly tone how he managed to pinpoint the exact location of me without seeing me because my boomer is still smaller then the doorframe and i wasn't hugging it either(nor was i right in the middle). And he didn't saturate the area either, just a single bullet.

"I'm in an office complex with poor sightlines and 500 places where a zombie may be lurking in the shadows so i'm going to fire a single bullet into the that doorframe just on the off chance that there's another playing waiting behind it who's smart enough to not stand in the center."

The only thing i can think of is him triangulating my location based on the ammount of noise he heard while moving arround, which seems unlikely for somebody with that attitude.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2009, 05:03:29 pm »

Crazier and luckier shots have been made.
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2009, 05:22:11 pm »

It looks like the free day is more than a free day. I had around six hours left a few hours back, but Steam is telling me that I now have around 18.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »

Oh yeah, from random noobs to assholes, good post yanlin!

Why are you being so antagonistic? Did you even meet some of the more active members?
Yes, when you invited me to a chat.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2009, 06:43:05 pm »

Let me guess. You watched the L4D intro and thought it was entirely cinematic and had nothing to do with gameplay?

Link to the intro in case you didn't watch it.
You mean it it wasn't? Wow I'm really sad I missed out on the free day now.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2009, 08:11:58 pm »

You know what? Fuck you, game. I was going to buy you when I got the cash, but you can go jump off a bridge.

It's stupid. On the top of Mercy Hospital, we got two or three tanks, three hunters, and countless boomers/smokers. I was caught by a smoker that took me down to 34 health. I was then standing right next to the copter when I shot a boomer that was a little too close. Que the horde rushing and incapacitating me, with the last tank right behind them.

If the game is full of bullshit deaths like that, I don't want it. I'm not sure why I downloaded it if I almost exclusively play single player.

What are you talking about, dying senselessly because of a stupid move on your part is all part of the game.

You should have ran for the copter instead of fighting the horde.

And if you think that is bad, what about the bug/kill that the smoker can do in No Mercy finale, when if he grabs a survivor right after the long ladder to the roof, the fall damage when he reels them in causes an instant death.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2009, 08:18:03 pm »

And what do you know, minutes after I posted my last message, Nilocy invites me to play and there goes 3 more hours.

We had some amazing runs on a team consisting of Umiman, Nilocy, me (and in the beginning Muffles). We slaughtered the opposing team as infected. On few occasions they barely got out of their spawn before we pounced, smoked and regurgitated them to death. We had a clean, awesome run through Dead Air, where we beat the opposing team 4000 to 200. We got through the finale with all four alive and then killed the other team without even getting to the first tank.

We also got our asses handed to us in a few maps, but that was phil1111's fault. Even if we kicked him halfway through the last game, which ended in frustration.

A mic would be nice in Versus as when there's a good Survivor team to be beaten, it requires some careful planning to bring them down and it's quite hard to keep people up to date and coordinate a simultaneous attack without one.

Having played only three days of L4D and one day of Versus I managed to do some surprisingly slick moves with the Special Infected, though I'm quite happy I didn't end up as the Tank as I would have failed spectacularly.

Fun times. Thanks to Nilocy and Umiman for taking a noob along to a zombie apocalypse.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2009, 08:42:12 pm »

And what do you know, minutes after I posted my last message, Nilocy invites me to play and there goes 3 more hours.

Aw. He invited me around the same time, but I had to turn the computer off because of a thunderstorm over head, which was made extra disappointing because I thought I was missing the last few hours of the Free Friday stuff. But then I just learned that they extended that. So, yea. =D

When I got off, the weather was dark and stormy outside. Combining this with the recent (unnecessary) Swine Flu panic around here and a few bad accidents (such as a bus catching on fire), I couldn't help but think of a zombie apocalypse.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2009, 09:59:14 pm »

Having played only three days of L4D and one day of Versus I managed to do some surprisingly slick moves with the Special Infected, though I'm quite happy I didn't end up as the Tank as I would have failed spectacularly.

Did you know you can wall-jump with Hunters?
It's really fun.

Boomer is the most fun for me though.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2009, 09:59:47 pm »

So, eh, I played a game with Metalax. He was the only one with a mic, but I could barely hear anything he said once the game started because it kept skipping out. I did terribly, of course. Probably worse than the AI character (Zoe). Playing on easy on the boat campaign, we had to restart the ending part, most likely due to my ineptitude.

I'm definitely sticking with TF2. <.<

Yeah sorry about that, I was testing out the auto transmit when speech is picked up by the mike instead of having to push a key to talk, and later saw that my settings had the sensitivity to low so it only picked up when I spoke louder than normal.

You did pretty well from what I recall for a first timer ;-)
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2009, 10:11:21 pm »

You know I always assumed the pills in Left4dead were painkillers like Aspirin

Do they ever say what they are in a manual or something?

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2009, 10:50:06 pm »

You know I always assumed the pills in Left4dead were painkillers like Aspirin

Do they ever say what they are in a manual or something?

Actually if you look at the bottles in the game they look like generic advil, like "Fred Meyer" or "Target" brand, but I think the implication is that they're something a little more hardcore like Oxy codone or some shit.

Edit:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:53:08 pm by Morsigil »

Morsigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2009, 11:01:33 pm »

Did you know you can wall-jump with Hunters?
It's really fun.

Boomer is the most fun for me though.

Hunters can easily be either killers or distractions. They move quickly and can jump off walls. I love jumping wall to wall down a hallway, confusing the hell out of my opponents, only to land in the middle of them as my teammates descend on them.

Boomers are great, adding damage, confusion, and zombies to any battle. A good boomer will get 3+ survivors goo'd every time. Anything less is almost a waste.

My favorite is playing as the tank. =P I have only twice failed to wipe the entire survivor team as tank.

Protip: Once you learn the patterns of the tank, you can actually run AT him and slide to the side before he swings. I've danced around tanks for minutes on end and killed them solo with an auto-shotty, both against an NPC tank and a PC tank. It isn't easy though, and I'm usually on stimulants. =P The cinematic at the beginning is almost identical to the game-play no matter your level of play.

Protip #2: Do not be afraid to melee as a hunter, or any zombie for that matter. If you have no other alternative, melee is not the worst choice as it does, at the very least, 1 damage, but I've heard it's much more than that for the PC zombies.

Example: You tackle a PC as a hunter, doing 3 damage (It tells you how much damage you do with your tackle, and damaging tackles is a relatively new aspect to the game. Before it did no damage) then you get knocked off by another PC, only to melee slash three more times... equaling or surpassing your tackle damage.

Protip #3: As a boomer, try to keep within range of their guns and out of range of their melee. Attempt to blend in with incoming horde so that as they shoot the horde, they shoot you, exploding all over them. Expect a delay and short range from your vomit and plan accordingly (take them by surprise).

Protip #4: You can spawn within feet of the survivors as long as they cannot see you and you aren't within the prohibited range... that means ducking behind a car or standing behind a slim tree means you can spawn right next to the survivors and puke all over them, etc.

I wish my PC could play this game. As it is, my friend and I spent many, many hours on his top of the line PC, eventually getting the Zombie Genocidist achievement in less than a month (53,000 some-odd zombie kills).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:09:55 pm by Morsigil »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2009, 12:09:05 am »

Fun times. Thanks to Nilocy and Umiman for taking a noob along to a zombie apocalypse.
Nilocy invited me too, I would have joined had 762 not frustrated me and then irl annoyed me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52