Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 1 & 2: The Sacrifice is out! All things Left 4 Dead 66% off!  (Read 65234 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Left 4 Dead: "Pills here!" Free Friday! Play now!
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 10:22:54 am »

I''ll play a bit later today, see if Velvet Assasin is the Thief semi-sequel it's hyped up to be.

<a few hours later>

And it isn't. Between the controls so clunky that they might as well be powered by a steam engine, Graphics being a mix of Gears Brown and Unreal Plastic with more bloom shaders then an umbrella store, bad peformace, worse stability, gameplay based less on sneaking and more on backtracking to your nearest bullet time drugs dispenser for every enemy you encounter, a collision system completely out of sync with the rest of the level geometry, arbitrary item collection sidequests for totaly useless upgrades and a story that can be summed up with two words: "kill germans", i think the game would have benefited from having its release date postponed to 2011.

In other news, CA managed to turn Empire: Total War into Empire: Total Disaster with their most recent patch, by fixing "several crashes" and addressing "numerous balance problems" by breaking the battle AI to the point where 1v10 victories by doing absolutely nothing become viable, adding graphical glitches in places that were fine before, making forts deathtraps for whoever defends them by way of pathing bugs, making armies prohibitively expensive, forcing the above 1v10 scenarios, adding a penalty for owning a large ammount of territories which makes the World Domination mode unplayable and changing diplomacy so that by turn 5 you are a war with everything else no matter what you do.

What does this have to do with L4D?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 10:24:37 am »

Thats what i was wondering. Maybe the wrong thread.

Anyhoo, I expect everyone who hasn't played L4D so far, to play it today and have fun. And then buy it so we can get some community games up!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 10:36:26 am »

The pistol(s) are awesome. I got around 96% of my kills with them. Steam is telling me I also have 100% accuracy, as opposed to 15% with the shotgun. The math has to be wrong, though. Four shots, three kills is not 15%. Neither is it possible to get 3% of those four shots as headshots.

I suppose I could restart and go after the Akimbo Assassin achievement.
Shotgun accuracy is always terrible because it counts each pellet. You can empty the auto-shotty into a horde, killing three or four zombies per shot, and the game will call it 50% accuracy because of the pellets that flew over their heads.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 10:41:50 am »

First impressions on versus:

Community is a bunch of dickheads.

Which, for a multiplayer exclusive game translates to "not buying".

Me as boomer and a pair of hunters set up an ambush behind a large door in Dead Air at the end of the offices with the smoker waiting in the main hall to drag whoever run through first downstairs away from the rest. Out of nowhere one of the survivors fires his sniper rifle and kills me through a closed door with no holes in it or anything to that effect like another survivor acting as spotter. I ask how he spotted me and as a response i get "omfg stfu nooob gayFag" (his spelling, not mine) and a vote to kick me, which gets passed in seconds.

I join another server on No Mercy as survivor, we clear the house to the bottom floor and a boomer smashes through the breakable wall and biles me(i was right infront of it looking at the door so i didn't have much choice. Before the horde arrives i get votekicked again without a word. Atleast i got the outbreak achievement out of it.

The campaign is filled with griefers that mow everybody down before we get out of the safe room and singleplayer involves running arround and let the godlike aimbot npcs do all the shooting.

IMO, Valve wasted a perfectly good game on a bad community.

I'll stick with TF2.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 10:56:12 am »

The sad thing is that assholes can't be patched up :(.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 11:15:54 am »

After quite a few more games I haven't seen anything I'd really call bad behavior.  Hmm.  Oh well...I think with 8 player servers, you're going to see annoying people have more of an effect than on TF2.

Ugh, I really wish I wasn't sick today.

Main thing I'm wondering about is replay value...

Also, I'm wondering if there's any gameplay difference at all between the survivors?

Edit: Re: people shooting through walls/doors... They're GUNS, they shoot BULLETS.  And the Infected make a LOT of noise.  If the survivors here the super-distinctive Boomer sound from right behind a closed door, well duh of COURSE they are going to start unloading bullets into that door!  I think that the community has low tolerance for people saying "omg hax", and that's okay.

Edit edit:  Oops, edit ninja'd.  :D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:20:13 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 11:18:48 am »

Inno, play with friends or on guild servers.

Even on TF2 there be assholes.

Also, about being spotted, it's sort of easy to spot you with noises and the sniper rifle can shoot through most anything. And no, no difference, besides the crappy voice acting.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 11:22:09 am »

First impressions on versus:

Community is a bunch of dickheads.

Which, for a multiplayer exclusive game translates to "not buying".

Me as boomer and a pair of hunters set up an ambush behind a large door in Dead Air at the end of the offices with the smoker waiting in the main hall to drag whoever run through first downstairs away from the rest. Out of nowhere one of the survivors fires his sniper rifle and kills me through a closed door with no holes in it or anything to that effect like another survivor acting as spotter. I ask how he spotted me and as a response i get "omfg stfu nooob gayFag" (his spelling, not mine) and a vote to kick me, which gets passed in seconds.

I join another server on No Mercy as survivor, we clear the house to the bottom floor and a boomer smashes through the breakable wall and biles me(i was right infront of it looking at the door so i didn't have much choice. Before the horde arrives i get votekicked again without a word. Atleast i got the outbreak achievement out of it.

The campaign is filled with griefers that mow everybody down before we get out of the safe room and singleplayer involves running arround and let the godlike aimbot npcs do all the shooting.

IMO, Valve wasted a perfectly good game on a bad community.

I'll stick with TF2.

That's why you don't play with random noobs. That's why you play with people like this.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Clockworks
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 11:43:36 am »

Oh yeah, from random noobs to assholes, good post yanlin!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 12:12:49 pm »

I played versus and didn't like it so I went back to playing campaign, which was great.  If you didn't like versus, I recommend doing the same.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 12:42:44 pm »

So, eh, I played a game with Metalax. He was the only one with a mic, but I could barely hear anything he said once the game started because it kept skipping out. I did terribly, of course. Probably worse than the AI character (Zoe). Playing on easy on the boat campaign, we had to restart the ending part, most likely due to my ineptitude.

I'm definitely sticking with TF2. <.<
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 02:42:23 pm »

Oh yeah, from random noobs to assholes, good post yanlin!

Why are you being so antagonistic? Did you even meet some of the more active members?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 02:46:03 pm »

You know what? Fuck you, game. I was going to buy you when I got the cash, but you can go jump off a bridge.

It's stupid. On the top of Mercy Hospital, we got two or three tanks, three hunters, and countless boomers/smokers. I was caught by a smoker that took me down to 34 health. I was then standing right next to the copter when I shot a boomer that was a little too close. Que the horde rushing and incapacitating me, with the last tank right behind them.

If the game is full of bullshit deaths like that, I don't want it. I'm not sure why I downloaded it if I almost exclusively play single player.

¿

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 02:52:51 pm »

How mod-able is this game? Because the weapon 'realism' makes me cringe.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 03:20:44 pm »

You know what? Fuck you, game. I was going to buy you when I got the cash, but you can go jump off a bridge.

It's stupid. On the top of Mercy Hospital, we got two or three tanks, three hunters, and countless boomers/smokers. I was caught by a smoker that took me down to 34 health. I was then standing right next to the copter when I shot a boomer that was a little too close. Que the horde rushing and incapacitating me, with the last tank right behind them.

If the game is full of bullshit deaths like that, I don't want it. I'm not sure why I downloaded it if I almost exclusively play single player.

Survival mode? Yeah. Don't try the hard stuff until you're good at it.

Didn't they just release the SDK? Quite moddable. Just like HL2.
How mod-able is this game? Because the weapon 'realism' makes me cringe.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52