Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 142764 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1080 on: November 21, 2009, 06:09:59 pm »

I tend to favor games where everyone has an interesting role, which is the reason I started playing this to begin with. Normal mafia is a bit boring to me, as it's just a glorified guessing game where you try to fool people into giving away too much information or make false assumptions based on erroneous data.

Just my 2c, I like the power roles and fun tech.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1081 on: November 21, 2009, 06:10:41 pm »

To clarify, I like the power roles being in the game. I haven't gotten one yet, so I don't know how much fun it is to play as one but I do like them being there.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 21, 2009, 06:16:05 pm »

I dunno if the werewolf would be too overpowered... while he is immune to NKs, he has no tech, no mindshield and no operative.  That means he has less votes, he has less power and no resistance to investigative roles or roleblockers.

I don't think wiping the EA's tech would be a great idea, although trimming down the power roles in general might work.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 21, 2009, 06:21:42 pm »

I dunno if the werewolf would be too overpowered... while he is immune to NKs, he has no tech, no mindshield and no operative.  That means he has less votes, he has less power and no resistance to investigative roles or roleblockers.

I don't think wiping the EA's tech would be a great idea, although trimming down the power roles in general might work.
Okay, he's still not an Alien, and, given your description, he is worse.

It's not the investigative powers fault they're 99.9% accurate.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: November 21, 2009, 06:24:06 pm »

I'm not too keen on the werewolf as-is, myself. Flavorwise it doesn't make sense either. I liked the Exterminator.

I also want the cult gone, kind of. :I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: November 21, 2009, 08:03:53 pm »

Sounds like it might be best if I split off the more supernatural elements, like the Cult, Vampire, Warlock, and so on to a different Mafia game.

That should remove some of the clutter, and let us figure out what aspects of the game we want to keep.

It is going to remain a power-role heavy game. That's just how Paranormal is, and there are plenty of other games for people if they want a more 'normal' style Mafia.

That's where roles like the Bodyguard come in. They give people a role that they can use and be helpful without overpowering the game too much.

Biggest question, I think, is the Mad Scientist. It's a neat role, and does fit the theme pretty well. Question is, what should we do with it?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: November 21, 2009, 08:05:02 pm »

Not give it to webadict.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: November 21, 2009, 08:27:24 pm »

<3 Toony

On a more serious note, Mad Scientist...

It shouldn't be town-only, and it shouldn't EVER be in the hands of a Doppelganger, at least as-is. Body-Double, Sentry (maybe), and Assassin Bot are all things Dopps shouldn't have. So... I'm on the fence about that one.

Question: Do we want to keep Psychic roles in? Like, Warden works, Telepath not so much... so yeah.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: November 21, 2009, 08:30:57 pm »

I was thinking of Day Doctors.

They choose a target to protect during the day.  How does that sound?  Pretty useless unless mad scientist are around I guess...

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #1089 on: November 21, 2009, 10:45:36 pm »

I like power role heavy games.  Just not necessarily so many different power roles perhaps?

Anyways, the Mad Scientist has always felt like an alien that wasn't third party.  In my opinion, the point of giving the aliens tech was to counter the fact that they (theoretically) have a harder goal than the town or scum.  Giving that same amount of flexibility and power to a single character that's either town or dopp seems kind of squirrely.  Most (if not all) of the stuff that a Mad Scientist can do, another role can do, they just don't choose it.

Perhaps there is something else that the Mad Scientist could do rather than choose tech?  Maybe get two set (but random) one-shot abilities?  I don't know, that really just sounds like the same thing without a choice.

For the bodyguard, I would either keep the bodyguard (with up to its three variants, but weighted to occur as a single role) or the guardian.  Having four different types of protecting characters seems like overkill.  The bodyguard variants are neat though.

For the psychics, I like the flavor of the Psychic Warden (and it's ability as a Role Blocker isn't uncommon to mafia setups).  Same with the Medium (which is a sort of psychic role).  On the other hand, I don't think that the Telepath brings something new to the game (it's basically another Cop, which we already have two of).  And the Enchanter is neat enough, but I don't particularly care for passive roles and I've never seen one be useful.

Day Doctor sounds like a useful role, but like you said.  In this game they would only be useful to counter a Mad Scientist.  That is to say not really useful at all (especially if we remove them).  At this point, I think we should focus on removing extra roles then come back to add in anything neat at some later point.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: November 21, 2009, 10:50:19 pm »

For bodyguard/guardian issue, just make the Guardian a fourth Bodyguard varient. 4 types isn't bad if there's only going to be 2 of them on each side.

Day Doctor would be nice if there were more DK roles. But we don't want more kills, we want to give Paranormal a liposuction.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: November 21, 2009, 10:52:17 pm »

Maybe make the Mad Scientist a one-shot Poisoner, like the Jack of Arsenic Tablets from KWN?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: November 21, 2009, 11:01:44 pm »

Or be like the Mad scientist here, f---ing with people's roles. But that would be cruel.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: November 21, 2009, 11:05:42 pm »

KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 21, 2009, 11:06:50 pm »

But still, there's probably SOMETHING in that list we could use.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 117