Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 142634 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion - Watcher Poll
« Reply #690 on: September 09, 2009, 05:37:26 pm »

I votes YES.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 10, 2009, 12:29:17 am »

I like it.  It's a person with tons of information but with probably one of the hardest roles around. 

One way it can work:  Pick up the shield.  Help the town find some of the scum, then, midway through, act scummy enough to get attacked as an Exterminator.  You get lynched, thus dragging the game on a little longer (well, lynched then probably NKed).

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 10, 2009, 12:58:50 am »

Actually, I would probably take the intel, although a shield is of course a good take in its own right. Too bad there's not a piece of a tech that would really help in this regard. If the mind-control ray could be used to roleblock a person, I would probably take it.

I have a suggestion. Change the Guardian to a psychic role. This solves a major problem me (and Alexhans) see with the role as it is now: the mafia cannot lie about being a guardian because the night PM's tell the person saved from the kill that they were saved. If you make the guardian a psychic role, you could change the flavor to it being something along the lines of them making a giant psychic shield around the house that stops the first killer of the night without the attackee knowing about it.  I've played a lot of IRC mafia, and just having the option that the guardian is lying and is really scum that did nothing at night makes the game a lot more fun. Also, being immune to the effects of a guardian because of psychic shield would stop a shield on the scum being all upside like it is now. Immunity to the warden AND telepath? Sign me up! It also solves a few logic problems that pop-up. For instance, how can the guardian save somebody when the guardian's already been killed during the night? How can the guardian save a person from anything, yet the warlock just laughs at him? How is the guardian able to heal alien lifeforms nobody on earth has seen before?

On a completely unrelated note, I think you should add another 2-slot alien tech. I think what it should do is, once activated, makes it so all night-kills are stopped that night. Actually, I think it should roleblock EVERYBODY that night, including the alien himself. It could also be cool if you could activate it during the day to force a no-lynch. Sadly, I suck with names. I would wind up just calling it something shitty, like "The Sleep Bomb".
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 10, 2009, 10:24:17 am »

@Dakarian: The shield can't stop a lynch, so that strategy won't work. It only saves against night and morning kills. (Although I guess it could also save against an Assassin bot)

Interesting ideas there, Mr. Person. A few points on what you said:

1) The Mind Control ray can be used to effectively role-block someone, since you can choose for them not to target anyone that night.
2) The Guardian becoming Psychic could work, although that makes the MUCH more powerful (they can then guard War Vets or Mad Scientists with the Turrets and cannot be tracked by Reporters). If people getting flavor about being attacked is seen as an issue I could always just stop giving that sort of flavor out and find ways for the Guardian/Bodyguard to do their job in ways that wouldn't be obvious to the target. The logic issues you mentioned aren't that big of a deal, since the flow of things is easily handled by flavor and the guard protects people, he doesn't just heal them (one of the reasons it is Guardian and not Doctor).
3) Well, I already have flavor from the Alien Scientist about Stun Orbs and the like, it could be something like that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 10, 2009, 10:54:38 am »

On a completely unrelated note, I think you should add another 2-slot alien tech. I think what it should do is, once activated, makes it so all night-kills are stopped that night. Actually, I think it should roleblock EVERYBODY that night, including the alien himself. It could also be cool if you could activate it during the day to force a no-lynch. Sadly, I suck with names. I would wind up just calling it something shitty, like "The Sleep Bomb".

I can't see any reason an Exterminator would use those.

I think the Exterminator should have two-slot tech that allows him to choose who appears to have done his kill in the flavor every night. That way, he can look like a Vig or make it look like the Doppelgangers want someone dead.

The ability to manipulate like that consistently and mask his presence is the only thing I can imagine I'd give up my lovely Personal Shield + Out With A Bang combo for.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion - Talking about aliens
« Reply #695 on: September 13, 2009, 11:57:04 am »

I think it's an interesting idea for the Watcher alien, so I vote yes.  I can't tell though - does the Watcher Alien get info at the start, or does he have to obtain it using Intel or the Scanner?

As for what techs he'd choose, I think we can pretty much rule out Assasin bot (hmm, unless he's really convinced that game balance could be improved through a quick murder), Deadman Bomb and Plasma Bomb, as these would all speed the game up.  The Mind Control Ray just doesn't seem very useful to me in general, and certainly not for the Watcher, so I'd probably rule that one out too.  With that in mind, I'd go for the Scanner (for findin' stuff out) and Personal Shield (for prolonging your influence on the game).  The Intel could also be very useful, but that would mean that you'd have no defence from NKs.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 13, 2009, 09:06:25 pm »

He would only start with info if he took intel. Otherwise, he has the Watcher ability to see who is talking. He'd get a list of everyone who PM'd or spoke in a quicktopic at the end of each day.

Mind control could be quite useful, actually. It would let him choose what someone did. Combined with, say, the Scanner it could significantly extend the game if he was able to remove a Vig or Exterminator from the game by directing a night kill.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 13, 2009, 09:29:03 pm »

Any opinions on my 2-slot item suggestion?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 13, 2009, 09:31:50 pm »

Interesting chances provided by it. Could it give an abduction message?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 13, 2009, 09:42:36 pm »

It's ok, but having 2 dopp kills during a night kind of makes it obvious what happened. Wait, were you wanting to make it able to change ALL the night kills made during the night?
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #700 on: September 13, 2009, 09:46:44 pm »

It would make it obvious that something unusual was going on, but it would also make it far more "interesting" for the townies to track things down.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 13, 2009, 09:51:06 pm »

It would make it obvious that something unusual was going on, but it would also make it far more "interesting" for the townies to track things down.

That's true. If you made it show up as either a cult or dopp kill, I'd say it might be acceptable as a 1-slot item, actually. Making it 2-slot, you should gain the ability to make your kill look like it came from any kill source, including abduction.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 13, 2009, 10:19:00 pm »

Yeah, that would be interesting. Anyone have any objections to it?
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 13, 2009, 10:19:57 pm »

A fake abduction would really screw things up. The person would be dead, but it's role wouldn't be revealed. That's cruel to me.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 13, 2009, 10:22:20 pm »

Good point.

What if the 2-slot item simply let him choose what the kill looks like each night, with the ability to change the message each night if he desired?

Or, we could have a 1-slot item which just let him change a single night's action to look like any type of kill he wanted.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 117