Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 142952 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1500 on: July 21, 2011, 12:54:12 pm »

If you're asking for an extension, there's usually a good reason. I suggested one as long as no one needed replacements because it IS a lot of time. Unfortunately, "time crunch" is also a motivation for scum to do nothing, which is why removing the leniency on scum lurking should happen.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 21, 2011, 01:08:14 pm »

I really don't think that three more RL days is that bad, especially if discussion is active.  You don't have to ask for a second extension, remember, and there's always a shorten.
Three days is a bit under the current maximum limit. And lurkers will still lurk knowing that they have the extension, thus requiring other people to use this extension.
Dariush:  What about this game?
That game happened almost two years ago. Computers were slower back then...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 21, 2011, 04:48:07 pm »

I like 72 + 48, at least to try out. Tacking two more days onto that, especially with the odds of it crossing the weekend, seems like it'd lose the point.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: July 22, 2011, 04:10:37 am »

Actually, if you count weekends, with 72+2x48 there's a 5/7 probability that it will fall on TWO weekends (and a 7/7 probability of it falling on one), bringing the total up to 11 days... insanity much?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:47:43 am by Dariush »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 23, 2011, 09:37:26 pm »

Well if you wanted to force players to be active, you could make a day 24 hours, and extensions 24 hours with a maximum of 4 extensions, the basic idea being that if you want the day to go on you need to check in and ask to extend, and if you check in and don't do anything, people are going to call you out for lurking.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 23, 2011, 09:39:36 pm »

Trouble is, that would make extending sort of an automatic thing, which would mean it'd lose most of its meaning.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 23, 2011, 09:41:56 pm »

Well that is good isn't it?
Extensions are some what of a meta thing, so don't we want them to loose meaning so people aren't drawing conclusions from them? I mean that is just my mindset, I could be a minority, and in that case, I'm the miller, I swear!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: July 23, 2011, 09:46:19 pm »

I meant more that in the context of your example, the "if you don't vote for an extension you're lurking" bit would be negated by the fact that everyone's requesting them all times, and thus when somebody doesn't they have the pretty valid excuse of it not mattering. That would also ruin the "you must pop in here to extend" bit, because again they've already got the requests they need.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 23, 2011, 09:53:13 pm »

Increasing the normal day length to 72 hours would be good, but I don't want two 48 hour extensions. I don't like it when games drag on forever, and lurkers don't usually feel any great impetus to post even when they do get extensions.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 10, 2012, 03:10:53 pm »

You know, thinking about my death in Paranormal 21 made me wonder something odd.  Why can Tough Dopps survive deadman bombs at night but not during the day?  It might be for balance reasons but we should also consider the fact that tanking a DMB during the day probably limits what your possible role could be anyway.  It just feels off consistency-wise.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 11, 2012, 03:58:10 am »

Oh hey, we've got a Paranormal discussion thread? Nice.

Meph, maybe you should add some new roles? The current setup is kinda old. My suggestions:
Hypnotizer: basically a redirect. If the target doesn't have an action, it simply visits the target without doing anything.
Stasis: either a scientist (replaces Psychic Pulser for CES) or an alien item that makes the target untargetable, but unable to do anything for a night and a day.
Guerilla: anti-exterminator (maybe) alien. Each night can summon a one-use item that gives one of the following effects: roleblock, kill, protect, inspect, redirect. Can use any amount of items per night, but not on the same night they were summoned.
Planewalker: an 'untrackable' modifier. Maybe a psychic role that can give this modifier to the target for the night.
Maybe aliens with lyncher/watcher wincons?...
Also, a fourth race with some unique mechanic would be greatly appreciated. :)

And while I'm here: has anybody ever used Psychic Pulser in the history of Paranormal? It seems just plain pointless when compared to mind control and especially body double.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:04:15 am by Dariush »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 11, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »

Oh hey, we've got a Paranormal discussion thread? Nice.

Meph, maybe you should add some new roles? The current setup is kinda old. My suggestions:
Hypnotizer: basically a redirect. If the target doesn't have an action, it simply visits the target without doing anything.
Stasis: either a scientist (replaces Psychic Pulser for CES) or an alien item that makes the target untargetable, but unable to do anything for a night and a day.
Guerilla: anti-exterminator (maybe) alien. Each night can summon a one-use item that gives one of the following effects: roleblock, kill, protect, inspect, redirect. Can use any amount of items per night, but not on the same night they were summoned.
Planewalker: an 'untrackable' modifier. Maybe a psychic role that can give this modifier to the target for the night.
Maybe aliens with lyncher/watcher wincons?...
Also, a fourth race with some unique mechanic would be greatly appreciated. :)

And while I'm here: has anybody ever used Psychic Pulser in the history of Paranormal? It seems just plain pointless when compared to mind control and especially body double.
Hypnotizer seems poorly placed in Paranormal.
A Portable Statis Chamber item seems fine.
Guerrilla is bad, and makes the hardest role even harder.
Planewalker seems kind of redundant, as Psychic players are already untrackable. It just makes the Reporter less powerful, and makes Dopp kills untrackable... and voids a bunch of flavor at that.
As for a fourth race... Meh. Doesn't seem like there's much of a point. If you can come up with one, that's probably fine. I mean, what's wrong with that? But, asking Meph to come up with it misses a bit of the point with this thread.

I think if you modified Planewalker to only allow non-kill actions, then you might have a good idea. But, then there'd also be a need of a Psychic Tracker.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 11, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »

There was a fourth "race" at some point in Paranormal history, and it got chucked in favor of making Paranormal "Humans dopps and the occasional alien" and Supernatural "Race and alignment grab bag."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 11, 2012, 01:39:57 pm »

Uh. We have a guy who can bind people with invisible chains over distance and another guy who can sense their intentions. How come a hypnotizer is poorly placed?
Actually, throw away the 'anti-exterminator' part (I admit that I didn't think that through). I was planning to propose another role that has to be done something to by guerilla, but decided that the result was too bulky. However, the idea of craftable items seemed rather good, so I kept that.
As for a fourth race... Meh. Doesn't seem like there's much of a point. If you can come up with one, that's probably fine. I mean, what's wrong with that? But, asking Meph to come up with it misses a bit of the point with this thread.
Actually, I wanted to learn what Meph thinks on the point. No point in coming up with one if he suddenly reveals that he completely thought the setting through and there's only place for humans, dopps and aliens.
I think if you modified Planewalker to only allow non-kill actions, then you might have a good idea. But, then there'd also be a need of a Psychic Tracker.
Yep, that's even better. Maybe add the item crafting system from Guerilla, make him town and a complete role instead of a role modifier?..

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 11, 2012, 02:42:53 pm »

Uh. We have a guy who can bind people with invisible chains over distance and another guy who can sense their intentions. How come a hypnotizer is poorly placed?
Actually, throw away the 'anti-exterminator' part (I admit that I didn't think that through). I was planning to propose another role that has to be done something to by guerilla, but decided that the result was too bulky. However, the idea of craftable items seemed rather good, so I kept that.
Actually, I wanted to learn what Meph thinks on the point. No point in coming up with one if he suddenly reveals that he completely thought the setting through and there's only place for humans, dopps and aliens.
Yep, that's even better. Maybe add the item crafting system from Guerilla, make him town and a complete role instead of a role modifier?..
Well, hypnotism is something that requires physical interaction with the victim. However, you're treating it as a psychic action. Hence, it's poorly placed.
As for the guerrilla, I'd nix the idea. It might seem fun, but it's more like you'd simply just make the same item over and over. You're better off with all the items premade, but even then... it doesn't have a place other than as an Alien. But, what would the goal be? If you don't have that planned out, the Alien can't be played well. Plus, the Operative plays similar to this.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 117