Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 142932 times)

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1440 on: December 14, 2010, 12:05:18 am »

Um... Here's a standard question: Agent Op scans Agent on First Night. If he's a Dopp, it's a free lynch [only if his claim is believed!]. If he's a Human, he has about a 1% chance to be turned into a Dopp later. Either way, it's either a freelynch or masons.
It's kinda like the Disciple of Truth.
Hmmm. I could have both Operatives only flip Operative on death. That would prevent the whole 'confirmed' human aspect, since the town now needs to worry about it being an Exterminator cover instead.

No, I think death roleflips need to remain honest (at least outside the bastard). If someone's scan results in a confirmed townie, and the claim is believed, then we have a confirmed townie: rejoice! It's a good thing. P17's town win notwithstanding, it's a tough enough game, and the Agent Op is town aligned; if he uses his tech to provide a town-favourable result, that's a good thing and consistent with his role and win condition. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 14, 2010, 12:08:40 am »

Besides, Meph: If an Operative dies claiming someone was a Dopp Agent, wouldn't you believe them?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 14, 2010, 12:24:46 am »

Dopp Agent, of course. Human Agent...not so much.

But, yes, part of the Power of the Agent Operative is that they get a targeted scan on a known Agent (assuming they take a scanner, which is pretty much a given). Which, despite being a one-shot ability, is pretty powerful. I built that fact into the weight for it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 14, 2010, 01:50:13 pm »

But, yes, part of the Power of the Agent Operative is that they get a targeted scan on a known Agent (assuming they take a scanner, which is pretty much a given). Which, despite being a one-shot ability, is pretty powerful. I built that fact into the weight for it.

Why not? What fooled the scanner? A Dopp Agent can't get an Advanced Anti-tech Shield or Advanced Holoform Modulator. If an Agent Op says that player X is a Dopp and then dies, player X is a guaranteed Dopp. Same thing if that player is town.

This needs to be fixed. Confirmed townies are a definite no-go. Roleflip just "Operative". As long as all other roleflips remain truthy, then this one roleflip being incomplete is acceptable AFAIC.

To anyone arguing for Agent-Ops creating a confirmed townie: confirmed townies in a free-PM game are very, very bad. It skews the game very heavily in the town's favor and turns everything into "mindlessly follow the CT!". The game becomes very, very boring.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 14, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »

Why not? What fooled the scanner? A Dopp Agent can't get an Advanced Anti-tech Shield or Advanced Holoform Modulator. If an Agent Op says that player X is a Dopp and then dies, player X is a guaranteed Dopp. Same thing if that player is town.

I was saying that the town would trust an Exterminator Operative claim that they found a Dopp. But not that someone is necessarily town, since the Ext. Operative could be hiding the Exterminator that way.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 14, 2010, 01:56:49 pm »

Seems like a bit of a silly idea.  Even if the exty survives the WIFOM lynch, they'll die to a doppelganger in the night.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 14, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »

You're even more on the ball than I am. Hmm...

Course, the Exterminator Operative would have to be really lucky to be able to fakeclaim a true townie or Dopp Agent. Then again, he's fine with claiming his Exterminator is an Agent townie. All this means is that the Exterminator Op really doesn't have a chance to claim the truth to buy townie points and WIFOM the town with his death. I dislike this, so here's a few ways to make Extie Ops and Agent Ops more similar.

One way is to simply give all Agents anti-tech shields. A bit clunky, but it'd work. Of course, then nobody could use a Scanner on him, so I'm not a huge fan. Another would be to tell the Exterminator Op the identity of an Agent. I dislike this since I don't think Extie Ops should be finding out for free. The solution I like is to tell the Agent about all Operatives and let him selectively contact any Operatives he trusts. I suppose this would make the Agent an OP role (you can contact an Op and inspect him on the same player on the same night. Too busy and too powerful), the Agent's inspecting should probably be transfered to a new role.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 14, 2010, 02:46:59 pm »

Are you talking from scanner or agent?  Agent results are still skewed by Kooks, Dopp Leaders, and Holos.

Also, in the Bastanormal thread:

Exterminator
    Race: Alien
    Goal: Kill
    Rules: The doppelganger infestation is a danger to the Alien's people, and it and all traces of it must be wiped from the Earth. The Alien kills one person a night. The Alien wins when they and thier Operative (if there is one) are the only ones left alive. The Exterminator always has a natural Mind Shield or Anti-Tech Field (Player's choice).
    Tech: 1 Medium and 1 Large Tech Slot
    Victory: All non-Exterminator aligned players are dead

The underlined parts are contradictory.  I know you had clarified that the line by Victory is the correct (Exty wins if *everyone* dies), so you might want to reword.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 14, 2010, 02:53:12 pm »

For extra dick points, do the same with Exties.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 14, 2010, 03:41:15 pm »

@Toaster. Hmmm, yeah, I should fix that.

@Mr.Person. Not fond of those fixes. I'll have to keep thinking about it.

Did have an unrelated thought, though. Hivemind conversions...I'm thinking of doing two things to differentiate the Psychic and Tech versions. The Psychic version is an active (if home-based) night action, so the Hivemind could be blocked. The Tech version is an activated ability, so it can't be role-blocked. However, it can be protected against. I'm thinking that a standard sacrifice guard would get converted instead, while a Guardian wouldn't.

This makes the conversion a bit nicer than most cults, but then most cults don't lose/die if the cult leader dies.
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: December 14, 2010, 04:05:09 pm »

Since non-humans can't be converted, how would they react to each flavor of attempt?  Also, how would anti-tech fields and guards mix?  If your conversion target is guarded, whose anti-tech field would be used?

I do like the idea of making them subtly different, though.  Tech might be better as-is, because converting guards is pretty useful for the Hivemind.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 14, 2010, 04:10:58 pm »

I would say whoever is getting converted would have to have the anti-tech field. So a guard without it could screw things up if they protected someone how has an anti-tech field.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 14, 2010, 04:35:14 pm »

Then guards with an anti-tech field would need extra weight if there's a Hivemind in the game.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 14, 2010, 04:35:49 pm »

Say an AT-fielded (or dopp) guard protects a regular human.  The attempt would fail- would you know that there was interference?  It could mistakenly lead you to think the original target was invalid.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: December 14, 2010, 04:54:43 pm »

Say an AT-fielded (or dopp) guard protects a regular human.  The attempt would fail- would you know that there was interference?  It could mistakenly lead you to think the original target was invalid.

Yes, you would know that there was interference.

Then guards with an anti-tech field would need extra weight if there's a Hivemind in the game.

No, because the choice of whether to be Tech or Psychic is up to the Hivemind, and that happens after all the roles/abilities are assigned. They have to decide what route to take and which risks are worth it.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 117