Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 142357 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Round 4 rules discussion
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2009, 10:06:22 pm »

Yeah, but since it's a dopp and a human role, then we have cases where a particularly mindful mafia can avoid detection just by staying quiet during the day, which can be a mighty difficult job, and the formation of town bases are stunted because town roles need to be wary if the dopps have a watcher.

In other words, increases the paranoia level.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2009, 10:25:01 pm »

You've got plenty of roles, Meph. Just keep it sweet and simple. All you need to do is keep updating roles and rules, to balance out the game.

Hehe. Yeah, I know, we have lots of roles already. But I keep coming up with new ideas, and it's fun to at least stick them here and talk about them. And I might decide that some current roles are overpowered/suck and need to be replaced. So it's good to have alternatives. Even if they don't end up in Paranormal they might end up in some other Mafia game.

Speaking of roles that might need to be replaced, I should think about some new Alien roles. I like the aliens, but I'm not sure that the Agent Seeker is a particularly fun role for someone to be. Nor does it add much to the overall game balance.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2009, 10:39:20 pm »

How about add on to the non-exterminator aliens by giving them the chance to have one of the devices normally only the exterminator can have? Maybe expand it to include a "one-shot raygun" and "nanomachine mind shield" so that they have to choose what they want to complete their mission?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2009, 10:41:17 pm »

Hmmm, yeah, more gadgets could be fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2009, 10:49:14 pm »

Also, the "scanner" item seems very unattractive under the current ruleset, namely because the exterminator really doesn't have any use for it besides checking to see if a person is a PWV, and even then, he get's killed because he used an action on a PWV!

What I'm trying to say is: there is no reason not to take the holoformer and the one-use shield because it serves the exerminator's objective much better than the scanner.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2009, 11:14:57 pm »

Yeah.

What if we changed the scanner in two ways:
1) The scanner does not provoke a PWV
2) the scanner does not prevent the Alien from using any other abilities that night

Other Exterminator gadgets that could be cool:
Deadman bomb: If the Exterminator is lynched, he explodes killing two random people near him. If he is night-killed, he kills his attacker. This could, in certain situations, allow the Exterminator to still win even if he dies.
Assassin bot: Once per game the Exterminator can use the assassin bot to day-kill another player
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2009, 11:29:51 pm »

Those are pretty good ideas?

Do ya think the scanner could have 2 or 3 uses?

Follow up on the telepathic "psychic message" I talked about, how about something like:

Artificial Mind Wave Communicator: Can send a psychic message to any player, can only be used 1-2 times.

Or something to that effect?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2009, 12:37:24 am »

Perhaps multiple Exterminator Aliens could exist? Or perhaps encourage cooperation between certain Alien types?

For instance; if a Survivor-type Alien picks a Scanning tool, they could seek an ally (perhaps even the Exterminator) and essentially Team Up with them.

If you want to look for new Alien Type ideas, read the synopsis of a few X-Files episodes :P

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2009, 10:57:24 am »

Perhaps multiple Exterminator Aliens could exist? Or perhaps encourage cooperation between certain Alien types?

For instance; if a Survivor-type Alien picks a Scanning tool, they could seek an ally (perhaps even the Exterminator) and essentially Team Up with them.

If you want to look for new Alien Type ideas, read the synopsis of a few X-Files episodes :P
Yeah. Third party roles need an upgrade.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2009, 01:44:23 pm »

Had some other thoughts this morning.

I think for the next round I'll do the change where the Reporter can either follow someone or stake out a location.

The Mad Scientist's Snooper bot will be able to follow people each night, instead of a recharge, to make it more useful. Also, since his gadgets do their own work, they can't be blocked by a Psychic Warden. That'll make him a little more useful, since most of his invention options are less useful then the powers any other role has.

And, for next round, I think I'll let the Disciple of Truth be both human and dopp to help counter the opening Gambit.

Still trying to come up with more interesting Alien stuff.

I did have this idea:

Alien Operative: The Operative is sent along with an alien to aid them in their task. During the mission he can do each of the following once
   Determine a player's Race
   Determine a player's Role
   Perform a Night Kill on a player
   Role-Block a player
   Act as a Bodyguard for the Alien.

Should the Alien they are working with die, the Operative's goal becomes survival. If they are helping an Agent Seeker or Dopp Hunter, they leave when that alien does if they complete their mission.
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2009, 05:11:24 am »

idea: For the alien item selection, a selection of items that are VERY useful, but they take up both of his item slots. Like an item that reveals everyone's role to him, but he doesn't get anything else.

Also, don't you think that the telepath's abilities are a little, you know, weak? What with his power being blockable by mindshields AND dopps with roles can remain undetectable by simply using their power every night, thereby making them like dopp leaders, except with powers.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2009, 10:14:25 am »

Hmmm, a selection of really powerful items could be good.

As for the Telepath, it's definitely weaker then the Agent. However, I think it's on par with the Detective. While he gets less information then the detective, and can be blocked by mind shields, he's also immune to the PWV and Reporter. Both rather useful roles to avoid. So I've got those two balanced the same right now as far as power goes.
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2009, 11:50:55 am »

For the really powerful two-slot items, I had these ideas:

Call to the Hive-mind: You use up the remainder of your power to call the all-knowing hive-mind, who tells you everyone's role.

Disease: You are infected with a hyper-evolved space disease that, while you and other aliens are naturally immune to it's symptoms, will infect anyone that interacts with you, minus psychics, who will die the next night. If said person interacts with another person that night, they pass the germ onto that person, who will die the next night, and so on and so forth.

Plasma Bomb: Once per game, can be chosen in lieu of a nightkill, which will kill the target, and anyone interacting with the target, and anyone interacting with them, and so on. (Much like Pandar's Mafia Strongman, from his first ridiculous mafia)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:57:56 am by chaoticjosh »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2009, 11:57:24 am »

These are all pretty good Exterminator items.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do with the Agent Seeker?
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2009, 11:59:16 am »

I think all the agent seekers thus far have simply been unlucky or not really used properly. Giving'em a single item slot wouldn't hurt.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 117