Change it to a Jester with the loss of the Next Day phase
- 4 (16%)
Remove it entirely
- 9 (36%)
Other (explain)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 117

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion  (Read 142867 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia Game - Rules Discussion
« Reply #1380 on: November 04, 2010, 05:40:51 pm »

Good sir, you wound me.

Also, I haven't been an Exterminator in a long time. You've got the wrong man!

Even if you play in every game, your odds of being any particular role, especially one that's infrequent like the Exterminator, are very low.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: November 08, 2010, 07:27:17 pm »

Ok, here are my current thoughts on stuff to go in.

New Roles:
   Spore-spreader: This alien organism has been engineered to spread by spores and take over human hosts. The only thing is that the host has to die for the spores to spread...
   Rules: The Spore Spreader needs to die in order to make more Spore Spreaders. Each time a Spore Spreader is Lynched or day-killed two random players are selected. If a selected player is Human, they become a Spore Spreader. If they are Dopp or Alien, nothing happens. If a Spore Spreader is Night-killed, the person performing the night kill is targeted by the spores. A human performing the kill will then become a Spore Spreader in turn.
  Win Condition: At least one Spore Spreader needs to be alive at the end of the game. Similar to a town win, in that Dopps and Exterminators/like can't have won. However, the Spore Spreaders still wins if one of them is still alive for a town win.

Tough Doppelganger: A Doppelganger that cannot be Night-Killed by a normal Night Kill action. Alien Tech kills, like the Plasma Bomb, still work.

Hivemind: The Hivemind is an Alien on the run. Using either Technology or advanced Psychic Powers (Player's choice at start) the Hivemind dominates the humans in the town in order to ensure its survival. Once per night the Hivemind Alien chooses a player to convert. If the player is human, and does not have the appropriate blocking ability, they join the Hivemind's faction. The Hivemind wins when all opposing groups are dead and the town has no way of stopping them (Vig, War Vet, etc). Medium Tech Slot. (Hivemind and Spore Spreader are restricted, they cannot show up together. Two cult-ish groups would be a nightmare)

New Abilities:
   Anti-Tech Field - Tech devices aimed at this character will fail. Functions like a Mind Shield otherwise.

Changed Roles:
    Alien Scientist is renamed to Xenozoologist (You can call it zoologist for short)
    Operative: The Operative loses the granted abilities and instead gets 2 Small Tech slots and 1 Medium Tech slot. The Operative always starts with either a Mind Shield or Anti-Tech Field (player's choice).
    Exterminator: The Exterminator can now choose whether to start with a Mind Shield or an Anti-Tech Field.

Changed Tech:
  Assassin Droid: Changes to a Morningkill action. This keeps it powerful, as it is unblockable, but stops it from being quite so game breaking.

New Human Tech:
  All - Anti-Tech Field - Grants the Anti-Tech Field ability. If the player possesses a natural one it is upgrade to an Advanced Anti-Tech Field.
  Intelligence Scientist:    Advanced Tracking Devices - The Scientist has two tracking devices. They are placed during the day (one per day), and provide information about the whereabouts of the individuals that they are places upon. They are lost if the target dies.
  Military Scientist: EMP Pulse Bomb - This device is a one-shot item used at night. All Tech devices are shorted out that night. Any actions relying on a tech device are blocked. Tech devices can be fixed the following night.
  Cutting Edge Scientist: Psychic Pulser - This device is a one-shot item used at night. All Psychic players (excluding Mind Shields) are blocked for that night and cannot use any Psychic Abilities until the following Night. (Not as limiting as the EMP, but there are more Psychic Roles than Tech)

New Alien Tech:
  Replicator: Large Tech Slot. The Replicator Can create a single Medium Tech item or two Small tech items before it runs out of energy and materials. Allows the Alien more flexibility to respond to changing situations in exchange for the more powerful items that would need to be brought at the outset.
  EMP Pulse Emitter: Medium Tech Slot. Can be used to Target a single player each night. Any Tech devices used by that player that night are shorted out and must be fixed the following night. If the player's action relied on the Tech item, they are roleblocked. Does not use up the Alien's action for that night.
  Psychic Pulse Emitter: Medium Tech Slot. Can be used to Target a single player each night. Prevents the player from using any Psychic Abilities (except for a Mind Shield) for that night and the next day phase. Does not use up the Alien's action for that night.
  Advanced Targeting System: Large Tech slot. Using this advanced weapon allows an Exterminator to bypass all forms of protection on a target. A Night Kill from an alien with this system cannot be prevented.

Any objections?

I like the Queen idea, but I need to work on it a bit more. Plus, I don't want to add too many roles at once.

I also had two ideas for the Operative that I'm mulling over.
  First is simple, allowing the Operative and Exterminator to share items freely. It'd make them more effective without breaking things, I think.
  The second is more complicated. I liked the idea of an Operative who isn't tied to an Exterminator, but I want it to be reasonable. So I came up with this idea:
     Alternate Operative: This Alien is working with the government and has been sent undercover to aid an Agent working in the town. The Operative is told the identity of the Agent the first Night. The Agent is not guaranteed to be Human, although the Operative is Town Aligned.

This version has two advantages. 1) By not knowing who the Agent is until the first night the Agent can't know if it's REALLY a helpful Operative or an Exterminator Operative who's team managed to scan the Agent during Night 1. 2) By not knowing if their Agent is human or not the Operative won't be able to confirm a townie.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:36:56 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: November 08, 2010, 07:36:37 pm »

Do Mr Spores lose their powers when converted?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: November 08, 2010, 07:37:25 pm »

Anyone converted by a Spore becomes a pure Spore Spreader, losing all abilities they had before.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: November 08, 2010, 07:42:30 pm »

Hmm...

I think this is pretty fair, actually.

However, Advanced Anti-Tech Fields are pretty tough to implement though, aren't they?

Anyone converted by a Spore becomes a pure Spore Spreader, losing all abilities they had before.
Dun dun duuuuuun!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: November 08, 2010, 07:51:13 pm »

However, Advanced Anti-Tech Fields are pretty tough to implement though, aren't they?

Not really. Although it might be slightly wonky, depending on the tech. But most things are easy. For example, a Snooper Bot or Tracking Device will simply show the person to always stay at home. A Scanner would always show Vanilla Townie.

I guess the killing techs, like the Assassin Bot, wouldn't really show anything different against an Advance Anti-Tech Field, but since the person won't be dead that's kind of a given.

Plasma Bomb is fun. I guess the person just happens to end up in a safe spot when it goes off.

Is there anything in particular that you can think of that make it weird?

And do you like the Operative ideas?
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: November 08, 2010, 08:14:45 pm »

When tech devices are shorted out by the EMP Pulse Bomb or whatever it's called, does fixing the tech require a night action? A two night roleblock of tech devices seems a bit potent.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: November 08, 2010, 08:21:53 pm »

It is potent, but the Bomb is a one-shot item. It needs to be powerful enough to make people consider taking it.

The Emitter is also powerful, but as a Medium tech slot it's expensive to take and it only targets one person a night. If you don't target a tech user (and most players won't have tech) it's easy to waste.
Come play Mafia with us!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: November 08, 2010, 08:50:59 pm »

Can i use the Replicator and the item I made on the same night?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: November 08, 2010, 09:26:13 pm »

Yes.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: November 09, 2010, 08:35:29 am »

I'm willing to try making Assassin Bots into Morningkilling Assassin Droids. I dunno, it might be better, it might be the same.

Spore-spreaders have it tough. Chances are if they get nightkilled it's over. Personally I'd think it would be ok to start with 2 or even 3 of them in larger games because a lone Spore Spreader will almost assuredly get ganked. This might be less of an issue than I'm making it out to be since getting lynched is much easier than you'd think. Just look at my victory in Third Party 1. (Check out my horn! *toot toot*). I don't think a tech slot is the answer. You know what, try them out and we'll see how it goes, but I'm placing my bet that the Spore Spreader gets ganked. This is like the one role who actually wants to hit a War Vet, by the way, so consider giving them a useless night action.

I thought players could already share techs. Maybe that was an old idea or something, but sharing techs sounds great. At worst nothing changes, but at best somebody comes up with a new strategy. It'd probably be more relevant if it mattered who actually used a tech, though. In a scenario where the pairing can't trust each other, I could imagine big fights breaking out over who uses what tech and when. There definitely needs to be a limit as to how much tech can be shared. I'd make it that each player can give exactly one other player exactly one tech per night. The player also can't use the tech the night they receive it. I'd make tech gifting not use up the Alien's night action, although one could argue for making it take the action so that in the future players have to choose between telling a potentially untrustworthy Operative to give away their techs or actually using said techs while risking that the Operative either doesn't use it how you want or doesn't even have the tech you wanted in the first place.

Minor issue: There's no reason to have both the Snooper Bot and the Tracking Devices. Only scum would take the Tracking Devices since town Intelligence Scientists don't have a night action to conserve. Sure, you can track two players at the same time, but as soon as one of them dies you're back to being worse off than if you took the Snooper Bot. I'd buff the Tracking Devices since the Snooper Bot is fine power-wise. The only thing I can come up with is building additional Tracking Devices, two nights to make a new one sounds alright to me.

Goals of new roles/actions/techs:
Spore Spreader: Kill. Gives Exterminators a really solid fakeclaim, plus it makes sense from a flavor standpoint, plus it'd even help them to get lynched

Hivemind: Protect if the conversion was successful, Kill if it wasn't or wasn't used to begin with, for instance if the Hivemind was roleblocked. You could do this the other way around (Kill if successful, Protect otherwise) to give the Hivemind a bit of protection if the conversion failed for whatever reason, but I'm more inclined to double penalize failed conversion so players will really avoid them.

Intelligence Scientist w/ Tracking Devices: Find if at least one of the Tracking Devices is still active. Base side goal (Survive for town, Kill for dopps) if all of the Tracking Devices are either unused or used up. Gives the Dopps a bit of a shielding as long as they keep a Tracking Device active.

Scientist w/ EMP Pulse Bomb or Psychic Pulser: Protect the night they're used. Not a lot of roles use Protect.

Replicator: No change when carried or used.

EMP Pulse Emitter/Psychic Pulse Emitter: Protect. Operatives gotta have something to claim.

Advanced Targetting System: No change when carried or when in use.

Oh man, I just read the starting role list. Please, please, PLEASE give the Mad Scientist invention list and Alien tech list headers and proper sorting. They're getting kind long and hard to follow. The obvious headers are by Scientist subrole and tech size. For instance, instead of

Spoiler: current (click to show/hide)

It should be like this:

Spoiler: You're welcome (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:37:15 am by Mr.Person »
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: November 09, 2010, 01:51:34 pm »

Hmm. You've got some good ideas in there. Thanks!

I'll make the changes to the main post and we can get started on Round 17 shortly.
Come play Mafia with us!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: November 09, 2010, 03:30:25 pm »

When I think of Mind Shields, I usually think of them as some occult thing, and I could see the same with Anti-Tech Fields. Devices tend to short out when you use them, lights flicker and go out, cameras and microphones record only static and feedback, targeting reticules wander, etc.

Regarding Advanced Anti-Tech Fields and Kill Failure:
When using an Assassin Bot or such against the Adv. Tech-Fielded, just make it appear as though they were Doctored... the kill was a success, and they were clearly targeted and killed in the flavor, but due to technical shortcomings, a trick of the light, or what have you, what appeared to have been their body was actually something else.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: November 09, 2010, 03:46:45 pm »

Morningkill: A morning kill happens between the day and night phase, and cannot be prevented by abilities that prevent night kills. (Such as the Guardian)

Meph, clarification please: is the morningkill between day and night (after the lynch, before night actions? wouldn't that be "eveningkill"?) or after night actions but before next day? (long after activation)

Say I had one of them bot thingies, and Solifuge's avatar really pissed me off. In earlier Paranormals, I could just post "say hello to my little friend, Soli!", PM you, and watch him explode right there in the middle of the day, play continuing as normal after that. In this new version, when would he explode in a million tiny pieces? After whoever was to be lynched is lynched, or after he nightkills me as the scum he surely is?

My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: November 09, 2010, 03:56:37 pm »

It's Morning. You'd declare that you were using the item as your Night Action and they'd die AFTER all of the night actions had occurred. So it's not as powerful as before.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 117