Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ATTACK:MAIN:MOUTH:bite:1:6:GORE  (Read 460 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
ATTACK:MAIN:MOUTH:bite:1:6:GORE
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:07:21 pm »

It seems that most every creature has this identical "Attack" attribute, yet some are much more fearsome than others. Some have [gore] or [bludgeon] or [can_latch] or other tags as well, and some have a "1:2" secondary attack, etc., etc.

Yet if both dragons and dogs have that same basic main attack, what makes the dragon much more fearsome? Is it just body size?

I guess a quick, thumbnail tutorial (or a link to?) on animals and combat is what I'm curious about - nothing overly demanding (unless you want) - thanks.

(And, actually, the entire string for both dragons and dogs is...

[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]

I shortened it for the subject.)

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: ATTACK:MAIN:MOUTH:bite:1:6:GORE
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:14:44 pm »

I believe it is indeed the SIZE that makes the big difference

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: ATTACK:MAIN:MOUTH:bite:1:6:GORE
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:26:21 pm »

Yeah, size plays a big role in attacking ability.

It also has a factor in how well you can shrug off attacks. Last I heard, a unit of DAMBLOCK seems to be roughly equivalent to of size (although that may be not quite right), so a creature with a size of 6 and damblock 1 would (again, probably) have the defensive strength of a creature with size 7.

Of course, creatures with [CAN_LEARN] or [SLOW_LEARNER] also can have stats, which all play a part in combat. Strength and toughness obviously impact attacking ability and defending ability, although I have no idea how much. And agility determines how often you can attack, which can give the creature a large advantage.

Of course, very little is actually known about the combat system, so we can do little more than make generalizations like this. This wiki page has most of what's known.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:27:58 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.