Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Child Labor?  (Read 2146 times)

Akkristor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Child Labor?
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:18:56 pm »

So, I was using Dwarf Manager to help me organize my influx of new Dwarves, but i messed up.

Normally, Peasants are at the bottom of the list, right?  Well, I didn't notice I had a few Children come along with the Migrants.

Dwarf Manager let me assign the kids labor.

I have 4 Kids running around my fortress smoothing all my stone.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
Re: Child Labor?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 06:28:25 pm »

Good. Give those worthless brats something to keep them busy in between trips to the booze pile.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 06:39:28 pm »

Personally, I'm thinking child labor should be a sort of on-off option for your fortress as a whole; depending on your race and culture, it could cause severe unhappiness. This probably belongs in a suggestion thread, but this seems fairly appropriate.

This is a rather ingenious solution for the short term, though.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:23 pm »

Expect any engravings they make to be heavily censored from the original version
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:32:46 pm »

i see this and think of engravings of barny and my little pony

*shudder*

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:55:12 pm »

I always make my children work. Hunting or fishing tends to toughen the little blighters up, and hauling stone back and forth builds muscle's. Of course, if there is a GCS, they get to build up their agility harvesting webs. They also need to learn just how hard it is to make the booze they drink, so they get to work in the still that only has the occasional magma fall on top of it.

All in all, children are an important slave volunteer work force.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 12:02:58 am »

I think this works, by the way, because children function as adults with all labors turned off, which is why they can fey mood/harvest/pull levers/deconstruct. Just as an aside. DM lets you forcibly enable their labors via hackage.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:47:25 am »

I prefer just using their natural bucket hauling talent, and locking them in the walls for that hand filled waterfall in every room (and they get to learn how to run from wagma too, as I flood various areas by those tunnels as well.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:32:37 am »

You?... You can make those useless little pieces of &^%* WORK!?

HALLELUJAH!

Suddenly, those horrible, useless, mood stealing, friend making, fragile, stupid, annoying pieces of dross can suddenly be useful!?

YAY! ;D  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

I'm so happy!
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Mister Thou

• Bay Watcher
  • out of ointment and out of time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 08:12:52 pm »

I've been doing this for a while.

I think it makes sense for children to have to do menial or horrible tasks like butchery, tanning, health care and smoothing. They have to be exposed to death and maiming on a regular basis or they have happy, carefree childhoods, which is unacceptable.

(plus if you have even a few children on health care, no one will ever die because no one feeds/waters them)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:37:47 am »

Expect any engravings they make to be heavily censored from the original version

This is an image of a dwarf. The dwarf is drinking dwarven wine applejuice. I'm glad I'm not the only only who immediately thought of something else when they saw 4 Kids on a forum...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 07:17:41 am »

Yea, DM is lovely in that way. could even put the damn nobles to work...  fishing is a common passtime for my nobility. 
Keeping em busy... and... keeping their yaps shut... the culling is not so... 'heart-wrenching'.

I rather Toady work on more important stuff then add lil nuances to what children can and cannot do... and what special conditions they can or cannot make. 

*Glares at barney + 'apple juice' engravings with a frown.* >.> 

No dwarf, baby or child should be forced to drink such blasphemy as apple juice.  Leave that to the elf hippies.  'In mah fortress you drink real liquor... or armok help your soul... water.  None of that elven juice...'
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 03:31:29 pm »

Little stone boxes with stone straws of mogjuice.

Just put the little blighters into the pump gym.  Train them early for the military, Sparta-style.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 03:52:08 pm »

Is it okay if I smash the apples to make the juice with a goblin's femur?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 04:59:38 pm »

Only if you ferment it into hard cider afterwards.
Pages: [1] 2