Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF New Voting System Voting  (Read 6819 times)

BlackSash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF New Voting System Voting
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:16:31 pm »

I am currently working on a system that'll allow people to vote in a more user-friendly way. It's kindof a pet project of mine, and I've been wanting to code something like this for a while, so while looking at the voting page I got the inspiration to start this project.

Take a look at it if you want and keep in mind, this little thing is still WIP, but actually somewhat usable by now.

Let me know what you think and if I should continue the effort. :)

Yet another URL update, the system now depends on SMF for user authentication/validation

Vote system!
Associated forum! (register a dummy account if you want to help test it)

Upon completion the forum will be wiped, so feel free to make dummy posts and do useless stuff on it. Don't be a dick, though.

WIP item list:
  • Sort initial list by popularity (the order of the left list will depict the popularity of the items)
    Done
  • Perhaps add colouring to the top requested items
    Done
  • Add overall explanatory texts and clean up
  • Some messing with the font sizes
    Should be about correct, please post any problems with legibilty/visibility
  • Decide the amount of selectable items in your personal list on the right
    Fixed at 3
  • Highlight chosen items left or move them right?
    Moved to the right so they are always visible
  • Add statistics and the like (in fact... add the complete back-end)
    Currently working on this
  • Add API calls to allow for login/logout for forum users (and deny access to non users?)
    Login now works when logged in on the forum. When not logged in the overall statistics are the only things that work. Denying access is possible though I doubt the usefulness.
  • Vote totalling, voter totalling (absolute / percentage)
    Vote totalling now works per item, more detailed stats and history go into the admin screen
  • ...?
  • Profit!

Advanced features (will not be implemented for some time.)
  • Ranking history (item bases / per time period?)
  • Graphing of totals over time
  • ...?
  • Moar profit!

Oh and I still absolutely suck donkeyballs at designing sites so any nice layouts or ideas are always welcome. :) (I have a friend of mine who is something of a graphical designer do some mock-ups. When I get them I'll post them online.)

THANK YOU!!! GOODNIGHT!!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:53:40 am by Toady One »
May your beards grow long; May your magma flow strong!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 12:47:25 pm »

actually that looks pretty cool.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:48:26 am »

Yep.  Very neat. :)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:56:58 am »

You should integrate it with bay12games simplemachines forum, so that people don't have to register yet another account.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

BlackSash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 12:15:15 pm »

That was the eventual plan, however that kinda hinges on me knowing how to do that (I don't right now), as well as the thing actually being usable. ;)
I'll look into it and add it to my todo list though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:17:11 pm by BlackSash »

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:38:51 pm »

I'm sure Toady will provide the current voting script, and it's done there (I don't remember how without rummaging through mails, sorry). The rest of the code is a mess, though, so be warned ;).
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 03:34:46 am »

That looks like an interesting start BlackSlash, it could display more entries per page (probably more then 20) while allowing long descriptions to be displayed to the side one at a time preventing the whole page from being a giant mass of Text.  Also how about up and down rank indicators to show how each entry has moved in the last lets say week (to pick an arbitrary period of time), I've always been interested in how various suggestions are moving relative too each other.  Total votes and total voters and each suggestions percentage would also be interesting to see.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

BlackSash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:02:01 am »

That looks like an interesting start BlackSlash, it could display more entries per page (probably more then 20) while allowing long descriptions to be displayed to the side one at a time preventing the whole page from being a giant mass of Text.  Also how about up and down rank indicators to show how each entry has moved in the last lets say week (to pick an arbitrary period of time), I've always been interested in how various suggestions are moving relative too each other.  Total votes and total voters and each suggestions percentage would also be interesting to see.

Hmm most of these will go on the "advanced features" pile if you don't mind. Things like history tallying and totalling are planned but until the basic framework is established there's not really much point in working on this.

As far as number of items is concerned: on a resolution of 1024x768 (which is quite small nowadays) I estimate about 15-17 items will fit on a page. And i'm using the web developer toolbar that eats up screen space as well. I'm still undecided about how to handle the overflow, either with a scrollbar in the first list or have the browser handle the scrolling (but that creates issues with the drop functionality... Imagine having 200+ items and having to drag the bottom item all the way to the top just to see that you don't want it...).

Once the ability to add/delete/admin the database items is in place I can work on the user authentication and security mechanisms, and that will pave the way for statistics. BTW the menu bar is still very much in the works: expect the names and pages to change a fair bit as work progresses.

Thanks for the input and support. :) I appreciate it and it helps to motivate me make this a good solid product (so to speak).

Cheers!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 12:21:49 pm »

Personally I'd like to see a scroll bar just for that panel.  If you had to scroll the whole page, then you'd have to anchor at least the middle section so you don't have to keep scrolling up and down.

BlackSash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 08:09:42 am »

Personally I'd like to see a scroll bar just for that panel.  If you had to scroll the whole page, then you'd have to anchor at least the middle section so you don't have to keep scrolling up and down.

Done. :)

I'm currently busy with the user login system (and I might have to install the forum software so I can work on integration therewith).
Still working on it. :)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 09:45:57 am »

Just a suggestion: the "drag here to vote" panel needs to stop increasing in size when maximum votes is reached.

BlackSash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 09:52:10 am »

Just a suggestion: the "drag here to vote" panel needs to stop increasing in size when maximum votes is reached.

For me it stops increasing in size when 3 items are put in. It will simply not allow more items in the destination field than 3. However if the current behaviour you see does not match this. Please give me as detailed info of what happens as possible (and browser version and the like.. also note that i'm not coding this with < IE7 in mind, though a bit of light IE hacking might be possible).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 11:09:47 am »

For me it stops increasing in size when 3 items are put in. It will simply not allow more items in the destination field than 3. However if the current behaviour you see does not match this. Please give me as detailed info of what happens as possible (and browser version and the like.. also note that i'm not coding this with < IE7 in mind, though a bit of light IE hacking might be possible).

What I mean (and I can't check, can't login) is that I add one and it increase, then add a second it increases, then a third it increases again, but disallows a fourth.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 11:24:26 am »

Do we use our Bay12 usernames/passwords?  Seeing as how I tried mine and I couldn't login, I was wondering.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

BlackSash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 04:25:21 am »

Do we use our Bay12 usernames/passwords?  Seeing as how I tried mine and I couldn't login, I was wondering.
Sorry, the app is not quite usable yet, and has not been tied into the forum yet.
At the moment it's not possible to log into it unless you have a login to the simplemachines forum that resides on my server (and only I have that to test the login routines).

For now use the old voting site! It's still there and works just fine.

What I mean (and I can't check, can't login) is that I add one and it increase, then add a second it increases, then a third it increases again, but disallows a fourth.
Ahh I see what you mean. yes I changed that last night but haven't updated the preview yet. Rest assured that is fixed

[edit]I'll make a separate thread about my development efforts on this voting system. So as not to clutter up this thread.[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 04:30:24 am by BlackSash »
Pages: [1] 2 3