Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d9] Jailed champion starves but does not die  (Read 535 times)

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d9] Jailed champion starves but does not die
« on: April 29, 2009, 04:53:16 pm »

Hey all,

I didn't see this on a quick glance through recent forum posts and the current bug list.  I recruited a former metalsmith into the army, where he rose through the ranks and quickly became a Champion Wrestler.

When I didn't meet a noble's irritating demand for adamantium items (!), the champion got thrown in prison, where he flashed blue for thirst and brown for hunger for SEVERAL YEARS.  I was ready to let him go crazy, since he was in a cell that was easy to lock so that I could keep him out of the way of the rest of the population.  But years passed and nothing happened at all.  He "Hunted For Small Creature" for several months;  presumably he never found one, but it still didn't kill him.  This continued long after he finished his sentence according to the Justice screen.

I noticed that several members of his squad would hang around his jail cell sometimes.  I demoted him from captain and that seemed to fix things -- everyone got back to business and he headed to the storeroom for a well-deserved drink.  So presumably the bug has something to do with the weird combination of Champion + Squad Captain + Skill Wot Requires Punishment led to a glitch.  It wasn't a critical problem but maybe Toady can look into it?
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d9] Jailed champion starves but does not die
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:11:03 pm »

High stats do amazing things to someone's ability to live without food or water, or occasionally, without lungs.

The never-ending "hunt for vermin" is kind of an issue, there is a bug where people don't stop doing that when food becomes available again (but maybe that was fixed? dunno)

"Squad members hang around leader while he eats/drinks/sleeps/hangs around in jail" is being addressed in the next version!

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d9] Jailed champion starves but does not die
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:54:18 pm »

High stats do amazing things to someone's ability to live without food or water, or occasionally, without lungs.

Okay, but why was nobody bringing him food or water?  There was plenty in the fortress and everybody else was eating fine.  Including other prisoners.

The never-ending "hunt for vermin" is kind of an issue, there is a bug where people don't stop doing that when food becomes available again

I'm aware of that bug, but I don't think that's the issue here.  The issue is that he was starving all by himself in an unlocked cell in a fortress filled with food, and yet never died or went crazy.  Maybe, as you say, his superdwarvenly stats had something to do with it, but there's still something glitchy about it.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.