Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255294 times)

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #1005 on: January 19, 2010, 03:37:04 pm »

Yay for Morul! Coolest thing I've seen done in DF yet.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 19, 2010, 04:10:56 pm »

Comming from the guy who discovered Cacame, that is quite a compliment.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 19, 2010, 04:46:42 pm »

Personally I think the title of coolest thing to happen in Dwarf Fortress goes to Tarn himself for making a game where even he doesn't know what's going on half the time.

Something tells me that's how moody dwarves feel.

They get possessed by some powerful entity and then strap a bunch of anonymous stones together with duct tape cat leather and then embed it with half a dozen miscellaneous stones that were going to be donated to charity.

Then they finish their construction and they don't know what the hell it is but they fall so in love with it that even a hairline crack on it will throw them into a berzerker rage where the only way to stop it would be to drown the entire fortress in magma.

But I suppose that's a typical sunday afternoon for most regulars here anyways.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:50:31 pm by Lumbajak »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 19, 2010, 09:37:20 pm »

Then they finish their construction and they don't know what the hell it is but they fall so in love with it that even a hairline crack on it will throw them into a berzerker rage where the only way to stop it would be to drown the entire fortress in magma.

And lock the door.  Forever.

Hey, new theory on the origin of demons.  They were once dwarves who had their artifact destroyed, so they went berzerk and got sealed away by the other dwarves and slowly mutated in their rage into monsters.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 19, 2010, 11:44:17 pm »

^ Must..resist..urge..to make GIF..

Why resist?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 19, 2010, 11:45:52 pm »

This is cool. I'm definitely watching.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 20, 2010, 08:44:38 am »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 20, 2010, 10:15:51 am »

Nah, if you get E high enough, R doesn't matter.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 20, 2010, 11:25:24 am »

Nah, if you get E high enough, R doesn't matter.
I'm pretty sure Morul could punt an elf high enough.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 20, 2010, 07:41:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure Morul could punt an elf high enough.
And it all circles back to the beginning.
o/

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 20, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »

I don't want the huge amount of work Martin's done to be devalued.
I get that it takes a long time, but really now. It's not like he built a house with his bare hands. The dwarf does most of the work.
[/quote]

It's a fair point, but there's more work involved here than people might realize. The trapping and trapping related skills were brutal. Every trap triggers at least one pause/recenter and usually 2-3 due to stolen bait, and each needs to be set up by hand each time. Trapping was probably 8 hours of continuous effort, and then to get enough vermin for fish dissector and animal dissector required about that much additional trapping by other dwarves to collect enough vermin. It was 1500 or so pause/recenters total, just for those 3 skills. Milking was hard too because it needs to be micromanaged else the dwarves come in and eat the maggots (which I had extincted, so I needed to preserve every one).

The military skills were also very time intensive because Morul had to maximize his time fighting without putting the fortress at risk. Sparring just doesn't cut it that far into the skills.

So, of the 71 skills, I'd say 60 were easy and not terribly time intensive, other than just keeping the fortress running. The other 11 were a pain in the ass.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:04 am »

Hey Martin,

I just recently read the whole thread, and I'm not sure if you ever got visualizer shots of Moruls home.  I think some of the shots i took ended up being stupidly huge, but here they are... unfortunately I only got one shot of Morul's sphere... and it was frustrating just to get a mediocre shot.

Fortress from the entrance:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fortress from above:

Bottomless pit:

Morul's Chamber:

Also, I know this isn't the write place to ask, but if its not an easy answer I can hit up the modding forum... 
First, how did you  change the orcs to wear steel instead of iron, and 2nd can you change that without a regen like you did with damblock and size?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 30, 2010, 04:41:04 am »

It's the [METAL_PREF] or something tag in their entity file; for the exact spelling, search pref until you find the one in the Dwarven entry. I think it probably will require a regen, but I don't know.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 30, 2010, 07:47:43 am »

There's a sizable region between "grammar nazi" and "communicating effectively" that you also appear to be not in.

Since when did we all become pricks?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 71