Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260235 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #975 on: January 13, 2010, 07:37:16 pm »

Wowzers. You, good sir, have turned my humble site into something deserving of a dwarf like Morul, a feat of fortress design in and of itself. To then create the dwarf to take his spot, is something far grander than imaginable.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 13, 2010, 07:48:33 pm »

Morul is either absorbing or dodging Ballista bolts.  (I don't think they're tipped though)

He's standing right in front of the thing and each one either passes through him (to no effect so far) or he goes around them as they fly. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This guy who was standing BEHIND Morul and apparently is Superdwarvingly Tough was hit by one and barely survived. (missing a hip and all connected to it.)

I stationed another military guy at the same place Morul was and he dodged a few but soon lost his own hip.

So far it seems that Morul is immune to ballista.

Ugh.  Edit: If anyone else cares to continue this line of investigation you are welcome to it. I am the type to savescum whenever a dwarf dies so I can't go on.  I took note of a planter who's husband and sibling have died as a result of my testing (and who had a red heart and lungs at the time herself) and couldn't stand it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:01:54 pm by Vicid »

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 13, 2010, 08:57:06 pm »

You...

You did it.

There are no words.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 13, 2010, 10:05:44 pm »

Morul is either absorbing or dodging Ballista bolts.  (I don't think they're tipped though)

He's standing right in front of the thing and each one either passes through him (to no effect so far) or he goes around them as they fly. 

pic

This guy who was standing BEHIND Morul and apparently is Superdwarvingly Tough was hit by one and barely survived. (missing a hip and all connected to it.)

I stationed another military guy at the same place Morul was and he dodged a few but soon lost his own hip.

So far it seems that Morul is immune to ballista.

Ugh.  Edit: If anyone else cares to continue this line of investigation you are welcome to it. I am the type to savescum whenever a dwarf dies so I can't go on.  I took note of a planter who's husband and sibling have died as a result of my testing (and who had a red heart and lungs at the time herself) and couldn't stand it.

Holy carp. Morul is seriously invincible.

Who wants to make Morul Legendary +5 in everything?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 13, 2010, 10:42:05 pm »

Morul's finally done it. Well, congratulations Martin, you deserve it.
They started to collide~

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 13, 2010, 11:01:15 pm »

Who wants to make Morul Legendary +5 in everything?
Unfortunately not possible without cheating, as it would require standing him down from the military.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 13, 2010, 11:51:54 pm »

*Pulls out a microphone and a big cheesy smile*

So, Martin, you've managed to train a dwarf to legendary in everything. What are you going to do next?

*Shoves the microphone in Martin's face*
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 13, 2010, 11:54:31 pm »

*applause*

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 14, 2010, 01:14:34 am »

Thank you all. I don't think this is the last you'll hear of Morul. I had an idea this morning I'm considering after I work on some other stuff.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 14, 2010, 01:51:56 am »

I wonder if we're at the part where Morul forges a masterwork adamantium crossbow that shoots lies.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 14, 2010, 02:10:22 am »

We are, but that's for someone else. I had already planned a new fortress challenge that features Morul in the story (but not him as part of the fortress) and just realized I can incorporate another idea without breaking the story arc. Let me work it all out.

And he already has made 5 masterwork adamantium crossbows. They're down in the weapon/armor locker.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 14, 2010, 02:29:50 am »

Was poking around the chasm with the miners and found a third GCS! Then double-checked Dwarf Companion and confirmed that there's exactly three on the map. So it's there for anyone who wants to 'play' with it, though I won't spoil where it is. Martin came damned close to stumbling upon it, though.

Incidentally, I wonder how Morul does vs. Giant Cave Spiders... are webs dodgeable? Or better yet, why not find out for myself!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 14, 2010, 02:34:34 am »

That's the spirit! I noticed in the casualty list that there were at least 3 more dead GCS, even though I modded their lifespans upward at worldgen. Hopefully you caged that 3rd one.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 14, 2010, 04:02:14 am »

Didn't notice the three dead ones. That's a lot of spiders. Ah, Dwarf Heaven, you crazy map.

Fun findings! Morul vs. three GCSes: He kills the first through sheer speed, the other two manage to get some webbing in, and the rest of the 'battle' becomes a loop: Morul is fast enough to shake off his webbing just as fast as it's sprayed on, and the spiders react with "oh noez spray him moar!!1" and basically it becomes nonstop spraying. Eventually the spiders become tired and then overexerted and pass out, then Morul shakes off the webs and obliterates them. Though one of them managed to rip off two {dwarf chunks} and turn his left lower leg brown! Bravo, spider. Bravo.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 14, 2010, 04:12:21 am »

Y'know, there's a trick you can do to train up Morul in the last few skills without derecruiting him.  Change the melee skill for crossbows from Hammer to the desired skill, and set him to spar.  He'll gain experience in that skill as if it were a combat skill.

More info here.

(But congrats on getting this far!)
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71