Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260264 times)

aurixdarastrix

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here, move along
    • View Profile
Re: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #945 on: January 13, 2010, 12:48:15 am »

Violentdwarfs, I propose a 21 magma cannon salute in Martin's honor.  So that Morul may have his wading pool. 
[INTERMITTENTLY_ACTIVE]

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 13, 2010, 12:49:33 am »

All hail!

Say, what colour is Morul anyway? He'd be the white colour of a champion, yeah?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 13, 2010, 12:59:00 am »

Yeah, he'd be white. He's Mayday Giant Gold Helmet to me though, since that's what he's looked like the last several months.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 13, 2010, 01:41:05 am »

Hey, Martin, dunno if you've checked this yet, but Morul was born in 150 according to Legends mode - making him 61 when Lashedwines was founded. I don't know if toughness plays a factor in age, but either way, he probably doesn't have that long left before old age takes him - the guy's 114!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 13, 2010, 01:43:14 am »

So, did he ever make an artifact?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 13, 2010, 01:49:40 am »

Oh, crap. 114, maybe that's why he took so long to learn those later skills. Dude was 106 when he started learning how to swing a sword. The new version will let us see their ages at embark, presumably, so hopefully such potential tragedies can be averted in the future.

And yes, he did make an artifact. The artifact stone door at the entrance to his suite was made by him, so he walks past it all the time. All of the artifacts are stored in the level of his suite right above the hot tub, in the room with the lever that opens the magma floodgates over the back entrance.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 13, 2010, 04:48:27 am »

How long does he have to live?

I mean assuming he doesn't die from the balista bolts and 20 z-level drops...

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 13, 2010, 05:49:58 am »

How long does he have to live?

I mean assuming he doesn't die from the balista bolts and 20 z-level drops...
Dwarves are pre-determined at birth to die at some age between 150 and 170 inclusive. This gives Morul 46 ± 10 years left. We could potentially find out if we killed off the rest of the fort (to increase FPS) and let him coast along for a few decades.

JoystickHero

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:tileset]
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 13, 2010, 06:30:15 am »

Idea for a new project: The Most Interesting Adventurer In The World, a singular adventurer, be it man or dwarf, who has done with Adventurer skills what Martin has done with fortress skills, bent them over and made them his bitch.

... vs Morul.

One one hand, our dear dorf has hundreds of extra legendary levels. On the other hand, an adventurer has one thing Morul does not, cannot, and will not ever have. Legendary Throwing.

My proposition: Someone gen a Large world, and take it to the Age of Emptiness. No setting fires, no starting wars. You must earn, and physically get, each and every kill, or as close to it as dwarvenly possible. Then, (retire and?) copy this omnicidal adventurer into a 15-z deep pit made of obsidian (That's SOLID obsidian, folks! Better brush up on your magma management!) and engraved by a team of Legendary Engravers (Perhaps Morul could help?), then put Morul and Urist McMurdereverything in the pit, and wage them against each other for our amusement, in every permutation we can imagine. With shields, without shields, in adamantine, in wood, on obsidian, on sand. With bare fists, with artifact weapons, with swords, hammers, crossbows and spears. In the pit, surrounded by skeletal elephants. In the water, surrounded by sturgeons. With clowns, with horribly overpowered megabeast, in a three-way free-for-all with Ironblood, inside Headshoots, on top of Bridgebanners, inside a fresh-genned pocket dimension, whatever you can think of.

Then, when we tire of pitting them against each other, we team them up. Morul and Urist McMurdereverything versus a dozen Bronze Colossi! Versus burny clowns, versus magma men, Versus 50 Giant Eagles standing on a 20-z tall 3x3 pillar, whatever sick fantasies we can come up with. And once, when we're finally done, and no one can think of another challenge ever again... we ship them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:50:56 am by JoystickHero »
JoystickHero's Capital Tileset (Simple. Clean. 16x16)
Quote from: Moosey
Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 13, 2010, 06:52:16 am »

Idea for a new project: The Most Interesting Adventurer In The World

... vs Morul.

One one hand, our dear dorf has hundreds of extra legendary levels. On the other hand, an adventurer has one thing Morul does not, cannot, and will not ever have. Legendary Throwing.

My proposition: Someone gen a Large world, and take it to the Age of Emptiness. Then, (retire and?) copy this omnicidal adventurer into a 15-z deep pit made of obsidian (That's SOLID obsidian, folks! Better brush up on your magma management!) and engraved by a team of Legendary Engravers (Perhaps Morul could help?), then put Morul and Urist McMurdereverything in the pit, and wage them against each other for our amusement, in every permutation we can imagine. With shields, without shields, in adamantine, in wood, on obsidian, on sand. With bare fists, with artifact weapons, with swords, hammers, crossbows and spears. In the pit, surrounded by skeletal elephants. In the water, surrounded by sturgeons. With clowns, with horribly overpowered megabeast, in a three-way free-for-all with Ironblood, whatever you can think of.

Then, when we tire of pitting them against each other, we team them up. Morul and Urist McMurdereverything versus a dozen Bronze Colossi! Versus burny clowns, versus magma men, Versus 50 Giant Eagles standing on a 20-z tall 3x3 pillar, whatever sick fantasies we can come up with. And once, when we're finally done, and no one can think of another challenge ever again... we ship them.
It should be possible to level an adventurer to far exceed the capabilities of any fortress dwarf, simply because the relative timescales favour adventurers in actions per year. It is complicated by requiring food, water and rest, but these can be turned off if cheating is your thing. There's only so much fighting you can do with a massive pack of food (and a nearby pool for water) before you run out and have to buy more. And in adventure mode, buying more is difficult. If you first collect all HFSite from the gameworld in fortress mode and convert it into mugs then your adventurer would have a near-infinite amount of purchasing power (requiring trips to collect the mugs, of course). By the time your strength is over legendary you would probably be able to carry an incomprehensibly large amount of rations anyway.

In summary, I want to pit an adventurer dwarf who has spent his entire life strangling skeletal groundhogs against Morul.

JoystickHero

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:tileset]
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 13, 2010, 06:56:23 am »

In summary, I want to pit an adventurer dwarf who has spent his entire life strangling skeletal groundhogs against Morul.
I have another proposition. Morul vs Obok Meatgod.
JoystickHero's Capital Tileset (Simple. Clean. 16x16)
Quote from: Moosey
Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?

groo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:59 am »

Registered just to say thanks, this was a very awesome read. Learnt a bunch of new tricks about DF and had a lot of fun following Morul's progress.

I'm sorry you had to learn about fireballs the hard way, I fiddled around with a Fun Hole a while back and concluded that you just can't get around this; no stat or skill in the game will let you dodge or mitigate these things, and no amount of toughness or armour will stop them from mutilating your guys horribly, which is frustrating. Combine that with like 20 ambusher enemies all sneaking up on you and shoving them down your throat as their first attack on a whim, and I don't think there's any way to trump the fireclowns with regular old bashing, aside from through numbers. A character like Morul could easily blow one to bits with a single hit, but unfortunately it conversely takes only one fireball to wreck any dwarf, no matter how tough they are.

But I'll give it a go with him again and see if I can't figure out a way. ;)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 13, 2010, 09:13:08 am »

And once, when we're finally done, and no one can think of another challenge ever again... we ship them.
Yes.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:39 am »

Congrats on finishing your quest.  Morul is truly a testament to the dwarven spirit.  A shame he is so old.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 13, 2010, 10:45:57 am »

Nice job Martin. Morul is (or should be) a fixture in the dwarfcabulary.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 71