Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260341 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #885 on: January 09, 2010, 02:26:42 am »

Can you station him within 4 tiles of any other edges? I suspect the 4-square thing is just 'nother instance of the "no building at the edge".

if so, I dunno. Check legends to see what the name means, and 'historical map' to see extents of territories if that's it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 09, 2010, 02:49:50 am »

No, just that edge. I only recently noticed it because the other edges are relatively flat, so when a siege squad is camped out there, it was just as easy to station him 10 tiles out. On the west edge it's kind of steep, so putting Morul 4 tiles out means going 4 z-levels up from where I spot the squad. I just stationed him in the northeast corner and then in the southeast.

I guess I need to get him to kill a horse or something along the west edge and see how that gets recorded.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 09, 2010, 04:36:34 am »

Would it be possible to mod animals for him to skill up on?

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #888 on: January 09, 2010, 07:53:18 am »

It'd be too late for modding I believe, He's already genned the world a long time ago.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 09, 2010, 08:10:55 am »

It'd be too late for modding I believe, He's already genned the world a long time ago.
No, there's always a possibility to edit existing animals. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 09, 2010, 08:32:37 am »

Editing the animals would be the same as editing the orcs. Just make some wildlife up-sized and so on, and BAM.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 09, 2010, 02:11:39 pm »

Well, I've got a bunch of wild horses caged up, so I can just do a cage release out there. And the non-vermin wildlife is all back, so it's just a matter of catching one of the mountain goats that spawn there. Maybe I'll have him patrol there for a while.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 09, 2010, 02:59:21 pm »

Ok, I've got a newbish question here.

Morul's kills are, of course, mostly in Lashedwines, but he has a very few (4 out of 1589 lesser kills) in 'The Grim Rust of Arenas'. Along the west edge of the map, there's a 4 tile wide strip that I cannot station Morul or any other soldier in. I get a red X instead of the usual yellow. Is it possible that's actually considered a different region?

For some reason the left edge of the map does that. It doesn't prevent squad stationing there as far as I can tell.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 09, 2010, 07:06:23 pm »

Another siege. It's always a good sign when the sieges show up before your dwarves have removed all the armor and bones from the last battle, though they had quite a few jobs to do already cleaning up around the chasm project. A few got away this time since they spawned so close to where the dwarves were cleaning up - I had to send Morul straight out to defend the haulers. Didn't get him past accomplished swordsdwarf, but he's right on the cusp to great swordsdwarf. 1775 notable kills. I think y'all will get him before he hits 2000.

I'm going to have him patrol the west edge of the map to see if he gets a 'Grim Rust of Arenas' kill.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 11, 2010, 12:32:58 pm »

I'd look up the Grim Rust of Arenas in legends.  It is probably outside of the Fortress and is instead the Region.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 11, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »

Morul's kills are, of course, mostly in Lashedwines, but he has a very few (4 out of 1589 lesser kills) in 'The Grim Rust of Arenas'.

Maybe it counts where his kill landed.  He knocked them into the next region. ;D
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 11, 2010, 03:05:28 pm »

Morul's kills are, of course, mostly in Lashedwines, but he has a very few (4 out of 1589 lesser kills) in 'The Grim Rust of Arenas'.

Maybe it counts where his kill landed.

The dwarves of Lashedwines call the Moon 'The Grim Rust of Arenas'? Thats an odd name.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 11, 2010, 04:28:58 pm »

Ok, points to Satarus for pointing out the obvious solution.

For Morul, I shifted the Dwarf Heaven map east and south one tile so that I have more chasm (thought I'd need it for the spiders) and trees (thought I'd need it for everything else) and caught the kobold cave. Caves are named. This one is named 'Grim Rust of Arenas' which describes well how they fared when the first batch of orcs ran down the funnel. Anyway, it looks like any kills on that embark square (and only that square) count toward that. Morul just killed a horse there and sure enough it showed up. Killed another to the south one square and it showed up under Lashedwines.

The More You Know!

Oh, and a general update. The orcs have been very shy the last few years. Not a terribly large amount of production lately, mostly just gathering webs. Though I did find a 3rd GCS web in the chasm, no GCS yet. I'll start turning out adamantine bolts. That's always good for some income.

Anyway, Morul is up to High Master Swordsdwarf just through sparring. If the 'higher skills = fewer injuries' during sparring theory is correct, it's possible he's going longer before hurting his opponent now. I noticed before they'd start sparring and almost instantly break it off even though nobody was seriously hurt. Morul appears to spar longer now, so maybe that's it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:33:57 pm by Martin »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 11, 2010, 05:03:25 pm »

>_>
if so, I dunno. Check legends to see what the name means, and 'historical map' to see extents of territories if that's it.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 11, 2010, 05:40:08 pm »

>_>

Yeah, okay, so everyone is smarter than me!  :P
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71