Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260360 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #855 on: January 05, 2010, 11:50:34 am »

Morul is about to achieve a different sort of milestone. One more siege should do it:

1511 notable kills
1588 other kills

Hunter is finally getting a back seat to the military.

Tonjevic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tonjevic.net
« Reply #856 on: January 05, 2010, 01:02:15 pm »

Well it's no wonder, really.

You *did* mine out an entire subterranean savannah and breeding complex specifically to cator for animal killing.

For the military, you have to rely on the charity of the orcs.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 05, 2010, 01:36:05 pm »

Eventually we'll be able to set up forts that have enclosed orc towers where they can breed and make their equipment, so that we don't have to worry about depopulating them...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 05, 2010, 02:16:14 pm »

Well, the next version already has two fixes for this:

The ability to train solo, and the possibility for unending attacks. The former might be slow, but the latter could just be a matter of modding orcs to stream out of the underground forever and buckling down until the champion is skilled enough to handle them. I'm very excited for the new version.

On the hunting area, the water is now evaporated and tower caps are popping up all over. It's brown and lovely. Not that we really needed more trees since there are zillions outside, but it seems less sterile now, and I like making tower cap farms.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 05, 2010, 02:17:46 pm »

Question:  Are you going to try and recreate Morul in the new release?  Plenty of new skills like the medic ones for him to learn. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 05, 2010, 02:44:37 pm »

I'm not sure. It depends on how it goes, but my first instinct is no. I have another challenge in mind that is somewhat related, though, that will take advantage of the new features. It'll be a running experiment in the way that Morul has been (I can't tell you how much I learned about the game doing this, which was my real motivation) but I'm hoping won't be quite as tedious and will be more challenging from a fortress design/manageability standpoint, while still allowing me to learn everything about the new version.

Think of it as a hermit challenge meets Lashedwines (Morul) meets Flarechannel, possibly done as more of a story with a plot and shit (the plot and shit is already worked out, I just don't know if I have the energy to do it, especially after the life intervention I just came out of). I'd probably do it Moby Dick style, alternating between first-person narrative and narrator. The fortress takes place after Lashedwines, but Morul has a bit of a cameo at the start of the story and is remotely involved in the formation of the fortress. It's designed to incorporate the changes to the game into the story, so I'd really like to do it.

I'll need a dwarf heaven type site such as this (whatever that looks like in the new version) and probably similar amounts of modding to open up every game feature in one location, and that too will have to be worked out at least far enough to know what needs to be done before worldgen. I can work out the rest on the fly.

I got the idea about the time that Toady moved the development notes from the countdown to the log, so conceptually it's pretty well set.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 06, 2010, 05:13:50 pm »

'nother siege.

1575 notable kills. Didn't quite make it over animals. Expert Swordsdwarf. A little over 1/3 of the way there. I upped the Orc damblock to 15 and that seemed to help. I'll probably up it again when he hits the next level.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 06, 2010, 06:36:38 pm »

I bet if you let food, water and Morul locked outside the fort and let it run overnight he'd be done.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 06, 2010, 06:39:22 pm »

I bet if you let food, water and Morul locked outside the fort and let it run overnight he'd be done.

I think Morul needs to be micro mange in combat to survive though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 06, 2010, 06:39:45 pm »

It'll still pause and recenter for every caravan, siege, and birth. But running overnight only buys me a season or maybe 2.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 06, 2010, 06:50:07 pm »

I think Morul needs to be micro mange in combat to survive though.

Uh, no.

I only micromanage to make sure no orcs escape - I need Morul swinging at every thing he can find for skills. I did manage to get 4 squads of orcs in the tunnel back when I was either running size 25/damblock 50 ones or somewhere shy of those stats. I just chucked him in there and locked the door. He never got more than a light grey wound. That was near the end of the hammer or mace skilling I think, and he's gained a LOT of armor/shield since then.

The size 50/damblock 50 orcs were where he had trouble. That's when Morul would get exhausted and I'd have to yank him out, though he might be able to do them now with higher stats with legendary skills and adamantine weapons. Basically the orc defenses were so high Morul couldn't hit them. I don't know if there's really any limit on the application of skills or not, but he's probably 30 levels higher on wrestling now than he was then, so maybe.

The only thing I think could be a real problem for Morul is catching on fire - so maybe a dragon or other fun things with a good fire/fireball ranged attack. He might now be agile enough to dodge the fireballs 100% if he has room, though. But short of that, I don't think there's any other vanilla enemy in any quantity (including titans/hydras/collosi) that you could put on the map that he couldn't safely handle.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 06, 2010, 07:20:35 pm »

Then prove it. Breach the HFS.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 06, 2010, 07:26:44 pm »

That's for after Morul is done, since players would want to as well.

also, is he still flammable when he lacks flammable clothes?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 06, 2010, 07:29:16 pm »

I would assume so. I've seen all manner of other non-clothed things catch on fire. :)

And yes, the HFS waits for the end. It'd be wrong to take that away from everyone. I do know what's in there though, and it will be challenging.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 06, 2010, 07:39:14 pm »

I would assume so. I've seen all manner of other non-clothed things catch on fire. :)

And yes, the HFS waits for the end. It'd be wrong to take that away from everyone. I do know what's in there though, and it will be challenging.

Are you going to record it?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 71