Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260368 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #840 on: January 04, 2010, 12:36:01 pm »

Did you pick Morul for his personality because I think that fits him perfectly.

Also I think he may have decided to sleep in the barracks recently.

No, I think I picked him because he had a non-Urist name. At embark I loaded him up on difficult skills, but I couldn't yet see his personality. I don't even think I knew his gender for certain.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 04, 2010, 12:51:36 pm »

At embark I loaded him up on difficult skills, but I couldn't yet see his personality. I don't even think I knew his gender for certain.

You can hit 'v' in the embark screen to see a dwarf's personality when highlighting the dwarf's name (rather than skill set) - and the 'he' or 'she' tells you gender. The More You Know!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 04, 2010, 12:58:59 pm »

Yeah, cool. You know, I've probably only embarked about a dozen to two dozen times.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 04, 2010, 01:01:23 pm »

Uh, sorry, didn't mean to come off as condescending. You said you couldn't see, and I thought you might not have noticed. I didn't see it myself until like five months after I started playing. No harm meant.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 04, 2010, 01:13:42 pm »

Better than me. I embarked hundreds of times (mostly to abandon or murder the starting 7 over a bad site) and only recently discovered you could check their personality. Now I always make the one who likes the cheapest or most common metal mayor and farmer, works great.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 04, 2010, 01:23:18 pm »

Uh, sorry, didn't mean to come off as condescending. You said you couldn't see, and I thought you might not have noticed. I didn't see it myself until like five months after I started playing. No harm meant.

None taken. I've done a lot of things in DF, but embarking just isn't one of them. I mean, I did a lot of embarking back in the 2D days, but since 3D, not so much. My fortresses tend to last months (this one is in the 10th month, my longest) and I only ever play one fortress at a time, and I almost never embark and abandon - I'm really quite picky when choosing sites. There's probably loads of things at embark that I should learn about.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 04, 2010, 05:35:21 pm »

I don't see any reason whatever for Morul to hold with a stereotype.

Kinda like how Arnold Schwarzenegger did Junior; he's the only guy manly enough to not be emasculated by playing a pregnant man.

Morul may not always drink beer, but when he does, he drinks Sewer Brew.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 04, 2010, 05:44:33 pm »

No, that's not what I meant.
He is a member of The Immortal Boats-Armor.
He is modest. He is confident. He has a sense of duty. He acts impulsively.

Best traits by far for Morul.  Also he isn't just a member, he's the mascot.
Pity he isn't female. Then we might claim she was the child from Boatmurdered.

That faction clearly wouldn't stand for Boatmurdered.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 04, 2010, 08:52:13 pm »

Another siege. Only 3 squads - disappointing. Morul did mange to hunt these all down, though. Up to adept sworddwarf. It's pretty entertaining watching him approach a squad of orc snipers and dodging every arrow sent his way. One more step of the way...

The hunting flood is down to 1/2 and towercaps are popping up all over.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 04, 2010, 10:37:39 pm »

What's his wrestling skill up to now?

I would kill to see a four-way fight between Morul, Ironblood, and HolisticDetective and Nemo2342 from Headshoots. I think Holistic had a wrestling skill of 77. And Nemo had an ungodly high sword skill, too.

EDIT: Yeah. Jesus...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:o

Martin, you have a mission. The goals are before you now. DO IT.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:03:31 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 05, 2010, 12:37:28 am »

I think the last specific stats we got was when Morul's wrestling was at level 56, but his stats were Strength 27, Agility 27, and Toughness 28 even back then. He also has 43 levels in Armor User and 54 levels of Shield User. All of those are bound to have went up since the last update as he's reached legendary in Speardwarf afterwards and didn't have any leevls in Swordsdwarf either.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:42:03 am by Ubiq »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:16 am »

Ok, I finally sucked it up and ran the 8,000 or so Windows updates since I last booted up VMWare.

Current stats:

1,921,620 xp
Wrestler 60 204/6500
Shield User 60 1586/6500
Armor User 46 88/5100

Str: 29, Agi 27, Tough 28

Previous update:

1,839,071 xp
Wrestler 56 3048/6100
Shield User 54 3456/5900
Armor User 43 136/4800
Axeman 15 383/2000

Str: 27, Agi 27, Tough 28

I do need to insist on one thing in any future gladiatorial matches with Morul - there can be no outside assistance. That is, anything that a champion brings into the arena must be made (or make-able) by his own hand from start to end. I mean, Morul has acquired 50+ other legendary skills, at the expense of military training. I think it's appropriate that he be able to leverage that. Morul is well rounded, and that benefit should be noted.

The other Nith guards were over 100 in their top skills. Morul is a long way from that - particularly in any weapon, but I see no reason why he couldn't get there. He's got them all owned on experience, so I think his stats are quite competitive. Morul has more experience than both HolisticDetective and Nemo combined, and that toughness 12 won't hold up, even against weaker skills.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 05, 2010, 01:52:38 am »

Morul getting stuck with inferior weapons and armor is something that really bugged me about the matchups we saw a while back. Everything he has ought to be Masterwork Adamantine from his socks up to his helmet rather than paltry iron or steel.

czolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 05, 2010, 03:32:20 am »

You, sir, are a god among insects.

Morul is just a god among gods.
Sic sum in ignis; sic sum quiritatio

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 05, 2010, 11:16:54 am »

Exactly.  Why should Morul carry around stuff that is inferior to what he could easily crank out? 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 71