Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260395 times)

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #675 on: August 11, 2009, 04:31:32 am »

Maybe he gets his axe stuck in some of the orcs?

Try giving him two axes when he goes out to fight, you might get more experiance that way?
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 11, 2009, 11:22:05 pm »

From what I've heard, two axes don't actually cause a dwarf to dual-wield, but rather will allow them to pull out a second axe in case the first one is lost.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 12, 2009, 04:42:17 am »

Why is morul naked?

Same reason Dr. Manhattan is.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 12, 2009, 10:42:22 am »

If there's a problem with weapon quality... why not give him a better weapon? Last I heard, you had given him a weak silver axe, in an attempt to keep the Orcs alive longer for more hits. Since that's not working, why not try the other end - a steel or ada axe might be able to punch through their defenses.

And even if it doesn't, remember to record the video so we can see the DF equivalent of a blender.  ;)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 12, 2009, 02:38:51 pm »

I think that several dwarves with swords work better for that.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 12, 2009, 03:17:58 pm »

If there's a problem with weapon quality... why not give him a better weapon? Last I heard, you had given him a weak silver axe, in an attempt to keep the Orcs alive longer for more hits. Since that's not working, why not try the other end - a steel or ada axe might be able to punch through their defenses.

And even if it doesn't, remember to record the video so we can see the DF equivalent of a blender.  ;)

I did the math and upgrading the weapon probably doesn't help enough (again, assuming the formula is correct and that I understand it properly). It's close, though. Adamantine masterwork axe (he's got 5, natch) vs silver is like taking his skill from level 7 to level 27, but that was up against 65 additional levels of size/damblock. His strength closes the gap, but not enough. I think with the wrestling skill up in the 40's he still wasn't getting hits in 100% of the time.

Now, I'm going to run him up through these last 3 skills and then upload the saves and get him back to work on the axe skill. Then I'll give him the upgraded axe and upgrade the orcs as his skill goes up, so he should always be skilling in the right range. Just a matter of getting the balance right, but every skill level should correspond to one point in damblock (or size).

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 12, 2009, 03:28:33 pm »

From what I've heard, two axes don't actually cause a dwarf to dual-wield, but rather will allow them to pull out a second axe in case the first one is lost.

That's how it's supposed to work, but T has stated that it's broken atm.  Hard to say how it is working, as all we can count on is "not as intended".

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 12, 2009, 05:33:39 pm »

Oh no, I didn't mean duel wield, but rather if a Dwarf gets an axe stuck inside an enemy and loses their grip, they will end up wrestling, because they don't have another weapon.

If they have two, they take out that second weapon, allowing them more time with a weapon and less time wrestling.

Just a thought
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 16, 2009, 06:39:23 pm »

Do you have any plans to armour the others soldiers with adamantine? (they'd need the protection, being Morul's sparring partners).

Or have I missed something, and they are already armoured thus?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 16, 2009, 10:58:56 pm »

Do you have any plans to armour the others soldiers with adamantine? (they'd need the protection, being Morul's sparring partners).

Or have I missed something, and they are already armoured thus?

They're in masterwork steel. I'm okay if a few of them die. So far there hasn't been any problem. Some of the new conscripts hammered the hell out of each other, but Morul hasn't done any damage to anyone.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 16, 2009, 11:00:17 pm »

I wonder, after you finish Morul, make the most interesting creatures pf each race, then pit them against each other.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 16, 2009, 11:15:38 pm »

I wish! But it'a taken him, what five months now just for Morul, and he's not even done yet?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 17, 2009, 02:01:48 am »

Morul's an Artifact.  However, that doesn't mean we can't steal his final stats and remake him as every other species in a giant Thunderdome, recording the chaos and knowing, once and for all, what is THE BEST OF THE BEST.

Martin, you try to set the stick_chance to 0 on the axe?  If Morul is sticking his weapon, that'll fix it.  It'll be global, but it might speed Morul up.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 17, 2009, 02:10:10 am »

Morul's an Artifact.  However, that doesn't mean we can't steal his final stats and remake him as every other species in a giant Thunderdome, recording the chaos and knowing, once and for all, what is THE BEST OF THE BEST.

Martin, you try to set the stick_chance to 0 on the axe?  If Morul is sticking his weapon, that'll fix it.  It'll be global, but it might speed Morul up.

I never knew about that. I'll give it a whirl.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 22, 2009, 01:01:01 am »

Just a brief update.

Morul is at Grand Master Axedwarf, so a proper update will come soon. Morul's suite is structurally complete and the moat is now filling (has been for about a year, needs about another year, no leaks yet). Once it's full I'll upload a new map  and provide a tour. I'm pretty pleased with it. No furniture in it yet to speak of, everyone busy hauling orc armor and getting some moat related construction finished. The dwarves are installing clear glass windows in the bedrooms that adjoin the moat, and some other selected areas, and the long entrance approach (where Morul knocked that orc across a few embark tiles) is being replaced entirely in clear glass and exceptional clear glass windows. At no point should visitors forget that they're walking over a massive magma moat. Once some time opens up, I'll start dwarves on making furniture for Morul - he needs a lot given that his suite is 13 stories tall, with some rather nice features, if I do say so.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 71