Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260374 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #645 on: August 02, 2009, 11:30:00 am »

Hey Martin, I made a fortress the other day on the Dwarf Heaven site

It was called "MorulTost" one letter off "MorulToast"

Even the very ground that Morul walks Toasts to his name!

LOL - that's pretty cool. This really is a great site to build on, too.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 02, 2009, 11:30:42 am »

The last surviving dwarf in Boardwhip was named Morul.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 02, 2009, 03:45:52 pm »

Interesting note: Recent research (I went into the language raw and used crtl+f) shows that 'Morul' means 'Page' in the common tongue. Interessant.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 02, 2009, 09:39:53 pm »

NOoooo the end of the thread.... I just read through all 44 pages of this EPICNESS.

oh, did morul get legendary alchemy? I didnt see it on your list? but it was in the list of jobs... a while back in the thead. kinda too late now though... cept with your "will do later" crossbow hax.
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 02, 2009, 10:50:45 pm »

Yeah, alchemist records as 'Soaper' and he made legendary soaper.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 03, 2009, 01:20:57 am »

Interesting note: Recent research (I went into the language raw and used crtl+f) shows that 'Morul' means 'Page' in the common tongue. Interessant.

Sehr.  But does that mean a page out of a book or a page like a boy training to be a knight?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 04, 2009, 12:45:08 am »

I would presume paper, since it is more commonly used in that sense, but I am afraid that Toady's mind is not my own- at least not until I get that scrying stone I ordered on Ebay.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 06, 2009, 12:32:41 pm »

seeing as its a fantasy setting, and it is a common name for a faily war happy bunch I would think it was the knight in training, I guess we will know when paper is added and we see on Morul 125 is an image of a dwarf the dwarf is burning

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 06, 2009, 07:37:22 pm »

Page as a boy training to be a knight, I believe. Or it could be like in english, can mean either depending on how it's used. The boy training to be a knight is more accurate, considering that Morul's entire life has been nothing but constant training in one profession or another.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 06, 2009, 10:07:54 pm »

Quote from: entity_default.txt
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [CREATURE:DWARF]
   [TRANSLATION:DWARF]
        . . .
   [SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:ARTIFICE]
   [SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:EARTH]
       . . .

Dwarves like naming themselves after things that can be made, which comes from [SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:ARTIFICE], much more so than anything else available. Which is why you get dwarves named Rigoth (craft) and Sarvesh (furnace) and Dastot (sword) and Urist (dagger) and Cog (boot) and Kogan (boat). So I'm fairly certain Morul means page, as in the pages of a book, as opposed to one training to be a knight.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 06, 2009, 11:11:41 pm »

Page is also under THOUGHT, so it's probably a book page.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 07, 2009, 03:30:33 pm »

Okay, another siege.

5 squads of size 25/damblock 25 orcs, but with reduced speed to try and get Morul's weapon skills up. He didn't have any real trouble with them - they did take a little while to take down, however. His axe skill went up, but not as significantly as I hoped. What did surprise me is that he picked up another attribute by mid-winter - only 3 seasons after the last one - which is much faster than the previous attribute. He had as many as 4 orcs on top of him, with a total of 11 in striking range, so he was still stuck doing a lot of wrestling, but less than before. He never seemed to tire, however, which is another big change.

Here are the last 4 attribute snapshots:

Autumn 244, he had the following stats:

1,549,133 xp
42 wrestler
40 shield
26 armor
24 str, 25 agi, 26 tough

After 3 sieges (1 little human one), at the end of the year (Autumn 245), he was at:

1,586,001 xp
44 wrestler
43 shield
29 armor
24 str, 25 agi, 27 tough

After a year of just sparring, in Spring 247, he was at

1,617,297 xp
45 wrestler
44 shield
30 armor
25 str, 25 agi, 27 tough

In Winter 247 after a single siege of 25/25 orcs, he was at:

1,680,838 xp
49 wrestler
46 shield
35 armor
25 str, 25 agi, 28 tough

That's a fairly significant increase in skills by upgrading the orcs to be slow-moving, but highly resistant to damage. 5 armor levels in 3 seasons is huge, IMO. I think I might upgrade the orcs to 25/50 and see how that goes next.

As for the fortress, the bottom level of the moat is now being dug out. The pumpers are barely keeping it from overflowing which is making the whole thing a bit exciting since the only way for the miners to get in and out is through a passage on the bottom level. The lower 3 levels of Morul's suite are constructed, but not furnished, and work on the 4th from bottom level is proceeding as fast as materials come available. Construction should speed up once the mining is done since they're doing double-duty. Lots of orc armor to haul, after all.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 07, 2009, 03:32:47 pm »

Woo nice to see the slow orcs is working well for him. I can't wait to see what his finished suite looks like.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 07, 2009, 03:39:15 pm »

Definitely the most interesting dwarf in the world by now, I think...

Can we get an exact number for his progress in axes?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 08, 2009, 02:20:11 pm »

Yeah, I didn't record his axes skill before the last siege. I'll record it before and after the next one.

And some people have asked about my tileset. I've now uploaded it to the wiki.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 71