Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260331 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #600 on: July 16, 2009, 01:22:50 pm »

I think Martin's still busy with the rivercross challenge, so Morul's game is on hold for the time being.

river cross challenge?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 16, 2009, 01:24:04 pm »

The DF Masters Contest. Martin's a competitor.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 16, 2009, 01:49:50 pm »

I'll compete. Morul just running around killing stuff right now. Nothing much to build, and I like to build.

Confirmed. 

Competition deadline is the 18th.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 18, 2009, 07:43:31 pm »

Ok, just uploaded my Rivercross map. It's... not great, but I'm pretty sure I dug out more of the map than anyone else, so that's something. I needed some design time and Morul hasn't really given me much of that in quite a while, especially once the fortress started to tantrum.

Anyway, I'll fire things back up now.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 19, 2009, 11:55:23 pm »

Wow, the tantrum spiral is worse than I remember. Every dwarf but Morul is tantruming (he's ecstatic - just wiped out another 5 squad siege). Just fell below the migrant cutoff, who are now too afraid to come to the fortress.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 20, 2009, 12:20:16 am »

So, what's the plan in case everyone but Morul ends up dead/injured?

Cheat and heal a few guys to tend to the wounded?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 20, 2009, 01:10:18 am »

So, what's the plan in case everyone but Morul ends up dead/injured?

Cheat and heal a few guys to tend to the wounded?

There's more than enough food for Morul to survive forever, basically. Nobody to pull levers, though, so maybe I should make sure he doesn't need that.

Then just wait for immigrants to arrive to start burying folks.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 20, 2009, 03:31:33 pm »

Ok, Winter 244 and after 6 months, it would appear the tantrum spiral has gracefully died out.

The killings slowly petered out. Final tally is 29 dead, 14 resting (most with red wounds, including Morul's wife). Fortress population is down to 49 from a high of 78. That leaves 27 dwarves to run the fortress - 4 children, 14 bedridden, 4 champions as non-laborers. That should be just fine - there's a ton of rebuilding to do - wrecked doors, beds, cabinets, coffers. They destroyed a magma pump and the magma has just evaporated enough to repair it. Workshops have been destroyed as well.

I have 4 legendary miner, mason, engravers left - some in bed, some not. 1 woodcutter, carpenter left - also in bed. I have one legendary weaponsmith left (also in bed) but the armorsmith got killed. Most of the rest are wood/stone/bone crafters, and some assorted food folks. No legendary brewers or cooks - they're dead. One legendary glassmaker. It's workable, particularly once everyone is healed up. There's 6,000 booze and 5,000 prepared meals, and Morul can defend against anything that might show up, so we should be good from here.

I've upped the orcs to size 9, damblock 7, and Morul handled 5 squads without a problem. He gets tired after 1-2 squads and needs to pause for a few days and then is ready for the next set. I'll probably go up to 9/9 and see how that works out. He still sends them flying with his silver hammer (he's grand master hammerdwarf now), but not as far as in the past - 40 tiles or so at most, and not as often.

The biggest casualty is the magma pipe moat. Not enough guys to keep the pumps manned 24/7 to allow miners in there. Maybe once everyone is healed up.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 20, 2009, 06:02:05 pm »

The biggest casualty is the magma pipe moat. Not enough guys to keep the pumps manned 24/7 to allow miners in there. Maybe once everyone is healed up.

Couldn't you just build a perpetual motion machine to keep the pumps flowing?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:22 pm »

Yeah, I could, but that seems undwarfy for a fortress that is so focused on manual labor. I'd have to move the water by hand (which is pretty labor intensive) considering I've already dug to the bottom of the map, but I'll give it a thought and see if I can carve out a little space. The pump location doesn't give a lot of options for power. I had considered building a drive shaft from the roof with a few windmills, but that'd be ugly. Once the moat is dug, I'll likely never have to run the pumps again, after all.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 21, 2009, 08:04:37 am »

So Morul didn't even come down from ecstatic during the spiral, I'm guessing?
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 21, 2009, 11:24:18 am »

So Morul didn't even come down from ecstatic during the spiral, I'm guessing?

Nope. He got a siege in the middle of it and was pretty happy to knock heads. Because I had the meeting hall in his bedroom, all of his furniture and his door got destroyed, but he just grabbed a new bedroom. I was worried that his wife got wounded - her dying might have knocked his mood down, but all the wounded are doing okay - mostly broken/mangled limbs.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 21, 2009, 11:33:36 am »

How many kids does morul have?  Also, how many are dead?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 21, 2009, 11:46:36 am »

How many kids does morul have?  Also, how many are dead?

No kids. I attribute it to Morul not getting to go on break for 40 years. I had hoped once he was in the military that might change, but I only allow 10 children so there really haven't been slots for them to have kids. There's a pretty solid chance that they'll get kids now. There are 6 open slots and not many married couples left.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 21, 2009, 11:48:54 am »

Morul is awesome.  YEEEAAAAHHHHH.  He takes those orcs down!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 71