Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260305 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #555 on: June 28, 2009, 02:58:57 pm »

Aye.  In straight melee, SoF aren't that tough unless they start grappling (They can indeed melt/flame stuff they get a hold of), especially since SoF have [SEVERONBREAKS] (They also have [NOSTUCKINS]).  The chance of killing an SoF if you factor out their fire is fairly high, actually, since any good hit will snap off a piece of it.  It won't give in to pain nor fear, obviously, but it'll drop, and you can sever/break the body or head, effectively causing instant death.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 28, 2009, 04:44:21 pm »

I was so inspired by this awesome dwarf that I just created a tribute animation to him.
Click for More-ul of Morul.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 28, 2009, 08:55:54 pm »

I was so inspired by this awesome dwarf that I just created a tribute animation to him.
Click for More-ul of Morul.

That is AWESOME
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 28, 2009, 11:06:36 pm »

That is awesome. Thanks.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 29, 2009, 11:10:02 am »

I'm pretty sure Morul or Ironblood could both trounce frogs or tentacles, but the random flamingness of the SoFs seems to be causing problems for both of them.  Locking them in is one thing to try, or possibly making a waterfall between them and their beds to extinguish random fires.
Yeah, fireballs are basically instant "Run away!!" Without, fire imps would be cake.

Quote from: What I Saw
Morul Ironblood
....Run away!!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 29, 2009, 02:07:45 pm »

There are some common mistakes made with SoF. For one, their ranged attack puts any defenders at a disadvantage, yet I don't see many efforts made to negate that attack. Don't allow any straight-line paths to where you breach HFS - create a constantly winding path which would prevent ranged attacks. That doesn't totally eliminate the possibility of a ranged attack at close range, but it does reduce it substantially. And as has been noted, if you can get your champions into a melee situation, their odds of success increase rather a lot.

I can't even recall a SoF video that didn't include some horrendously long 1-wide hallway to serve as a fireball vortex of death for anyone running down it. Seriously, don't do that.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 29, 2009, 02:33:06 pm »

Yeah, I mean even a simple design like this can work:
Code: [Select]
W = Wall
. = Floor

WWWWWWWWW
.W.W.W.W.
W.W.W.W.W
WWWWWWWWW

Also, I am glad you liked my animation :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 29, 2009, 04:01:39 pm »

Would stairs help even more?  With creative uses of stairs, you could give SoFs no chance of escape round champions and no chance to fire more than one square.  Just hope they don't grab morul's mace.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 29, 2009, 04:22:40 pm »

I would have thought Morul's agility would be enough to outrun the fireball.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 30, 2009, 01:45:05 am »

Well, I haven't updated in a while. Mostly Morul is waiting on sieges. He's up to high master hammerdwarf, and after this I'll probably move him to spear. The fortress has been producing wealth and the fortress is now worth 53M. Lots of adamantine bolts. 4 exceptional steel statues now adorn each soap dining platform. There's a lot of adamantine plate mail, and still there's resources out the wazoo.

The minimal moat is nearly finished being dug - it's a 3-wide channel around almost the entire fortress, 17 z-levels deep - with a few bits hanging out. I still need to pump out the pipe and dig out the bulk of the moat, but the fortress is lagging badly due to the additional stone, and I haven't even dug out the bulk of it. I'm trying to salvage the valuable bits and the rest will just get melted up, with some siege operator training along the way. (Which reminds me, I still need to turn temp back on and find a way to not incinerate my miners.)

I don't know how you guys let me get away with it for this long, but I've finally added most of the map to my sig. I cut off the bottom few floors to keep the file size down.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 30, 2009, 11:36:09 am »

Thank you Martin, you just gave me a great idea for the floor tiles.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:13:54 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 30, 2009, 03:19:47 pm »

Wait, 17 z levels deep is a minimal moat?  Woah.  Mine are a grand total of 1 z level usually (2 if water freezes in winter).

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 30, 2009, 05:43:12 pm »

Wait, 17 z levels deep is a minimal moat?  Woah.  Mine are a grand total of 1 z level usually (2 if water freezes in winter).

Well, the depth isn't minimal - the breadth is. If you look, the moat will be expanded to eliminate the natural contour of the magma pipe, being the width of the fortress where it touches the fortress and sweeping out in a semicircle to around the point of the matching drawbridges. That too will go down 17 z-levels. Compared to that, what's in place is pretty minimal.

The reason for such a large moat is to build Moruls suite extending out from the fortress into the magma pipe/moat and then let it refill around it.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 30, 2009, 10:57:55 pm »

Well, I turned temp back on while the miners were in the swimming tank under 6/7 water. One died immediately and 4 others slowly burned to death the moment they left the tank. I was afraid of that since the ichor doesn't wash off, at best the water kept its impact to red wounds and once they left they'd just combust - which is precisely what happened. They're tough mofos and had no problems walking around for a week leaving a rather nice trail of smoke behind them. Since they've all been in the fortress for 40+ years, the fortress is now on the brink of a tantrum spiral. 8 dwarves are currently tantruming. And the world is on fire.

Morul, ecstatic, is standing by...

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 30, 2009, 11:17:19 pm »

Hopefully he isn't the Captain of the Guard.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 71