Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 255020 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #330 on: June 09, 2009, 11:50:28 am »

Another siege. 3 squads and they were good enough to all converge around the same time, so Morul was able to take out all 3 with no survivors with the mace again. He had a number of good hits, but walls and such prevented any remarkable distances. He got through the first two squads of wrestlers/sword/mace without a scratch, but the 3rd was almost all ranged units. He ran up the hill to get to them and they really unloaded on him (some ran out of arrows by the time he got to them). He wiped them out as well (including some nice hits that only stopped upon hitting the top of the fortress, raining body parts on the roof) but took about a half dozen light grey wounds which very quickly healed. He was also tired at the end, but that too didn't last.

It wasn't the hardest siege situation he might face (swords/axe + ranged simultaneously would be worst) but I've never had a soldier that could have survived 32 orcs at once.

No sooner did I swap him back to the crossbow then he went to the shooting range and finished up that skill:

"Morul Cattenmat Nentukmerseth Deg has become a legendary champion! Hail Morul Cattenmat Nentukmerseth Deg!"

He now has 130 notable kills and 1177 other kills. Armor is at adept and shield at professional, mace just at skilled. Lots of sieges yet to go, and hopefully improvement in the armor/shield will keep even the light grey wounds at bay.

And by some miracle he still has 2 war dogs assigned to him. 3 got killed in the first siege he took on, but these 2 have now survived 2 sieges. I thought for sure they'd all get wiped out right off.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:52:18 am by Martin »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 09, 2009, 12:57:58 pm »

And I just fixed Morul's brain injury to see if that would get him sparring - and sure enough it did.

Kinda cool process. I took out [THOUGHT] as Jim suggested, and everyone passed out and became winded, but the brain injury healed up before I could select him after unpausing. Saved, put [THOUGHT] back in, and after everyone woke up he went off to spar.

I think this is also a solution to the problem of champions claiming artifact items. When everyone passes out, they drop everything they were holding - including weapons/shields/etc. If you have your forbid settings done right, the artifacts will be forbidden when they hit the ground, so plan accordingly.

Heartpower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2009, 01:37:14 pm »

I made an account just to say that Morul's quest has me fascinated.  I love that he has grown to bizarre proportions as some sort of Dwarf avatar of knowledge and destruction.

In my mind, he didn't just take a bite from the Apple of Knowledge, he ate the whole thing, core and all, and then shit it like a rocket at a goblin siege.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 09, 2009, 01:49:04 pm »

"Morul Cattenmat Nentukmerseth Deg"

What does all that translate into exactly?

And I just fixed Morul's brain injury to see if that would get him sparring - and sure enough it did.

I'm sure that there is a long list of people wanting to spar with him after the Orc Lawn Dart incident. That's not sarcasm either; these are dwarves after all.

Kinda cool process. I took out [THOUGHT] as Jim suggested, and everyone passed out and became winded, but the brain injury healed up before I could select him after unpausing. Saved, put [THOUGHT] back in, and after everyone woke up he went off to spar.

So, as long as the injury can heal, he's now the dwarf version of Wolverine.

I think this is also a solution to the problem of champions claiming artifact items. When everyone passes out, they drop everything they were holding - including weapons/shields/etc. If you have your forbid settings done right, the artifacts will be forbidden when they hit the ground, so plan accordingly.

That's one of the great things about Morul; not only is he a challenge among challenges, but he's also a living workshop for all things Dwarf Fortress.

Goinstadi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 09, 2009, 01:52:53 pm »

Awesome!   ;D  I like how the method to heal nervous injuries is to remove thought from our little minions like a wayward godling.
Dwarf Fortress is Minesweeper with attitude.  In both games you are uncovering squares and just waiting for it to blow up in your face.  At least in DF you have tiny bearded and smiling avatars to torture on your descent to fun.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #335 on: June 09, 2009, 01:56:33 pm »

You could make them think with their legs or something.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 09, 2009, 02:01:03 pm »

Morul Channeledbent the Withered Luck

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 09, 2009, 02:08:51 pm »

Morul needs to fight some Children of Armok megabeasts.

Then claim the Throne from Armok himself.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 09, 2009, 02:09:57 pm »

Bear in mind that your dwarves may need a month or so without the [thought] tag in order to heal up.  Morul is just awesome, so it was almost instant.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 09, 2009, 02:19:10 pm »

Morul needs to fight some Children of Armok megabeasts.

Then claim the Throne from Armok himself.

I don't think megabeasts show up until pop 80. The fortress is at 74 now. I was going to raise the popcap to 80 once Morul was fully skilled up - I didn't want Morul to miss his opportunity (and I didn't want to have to deal with the nobles).

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 09, 2009, 02:25:37 pm »

Morul Channeledbent the Withered Luck

He's made of so much distilled dwarven awesome, his luck has withered away and died.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 09, 2009, 03:40:56 pm »

Have you tried dropping Morul down your dog injuring shaft and seeing how fast he heals yet?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 09, 2009, 03:46:24 pm »

Have you tried dropping Morul down your dog injuring shaft and seeing how fast he heals yet?

My guess is that he would heal everything before he even hits  the ground.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 09, 2009, 03:50:55 pm »

Actually, hat's an idea - just how deep a drop can he survive? Test to destruction, then savescumm to resurrect.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 09, 2009, 04:20:34 pm »

I see Morul the Paratrooper in the near future.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 71