Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260355 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2009, 12:47:40 pm »

I've been out of commission for a few days, but Morul musters on!

25th Hematite, 218, Early Summer

We have many tame animals now that Morul has reached legendary animal trainer. Another challenging skill taken care of. Waiting to finish breaking the current siege then we'll herd the animals down from the roof and get back to hunting.

21st Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn

Clearing through the tame animals brought Morul to legendary tanner slightly ahead of butcher (somehow), though that is soon to follow. Ran into a problem with the herd - the herd path is down the center of the fortress and line-of-sight with the dwarves interrupts their path and they won't proceed. Had to run them back up to the roof and am now walling in the bits that I hadn't gotten to before. That should take care of the problem.

27th Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn

And sure enough, a few dogs later Morul is a legendary butcher.

18th Granite, 219, Early Spring

Morul decided to cut some gems while the animals moved down to the new hunting arena. Now a legendary gem cutter.

23rd Felsite, 219, Late Spring

Need to clear out the hunting area of stone (20K or thereabouts) so Morul took care of Mechanics. Going to make some stone crafts now to encrust with those cut gems...

4th Limestone, 219, Early Autumn

Morul is now a legendary stonecrafter. Hardly made a dent in the stone in the basement. Good thing we have a nearby chasm.

Morul is now hunting in the new arena which is working great. He's locked in so that the animals don't attempt to path out, and he's not terribly happy losing his bed and getting constantly attacked, but I'll yank him out before he tantrums. He's up to expert ambusher, and competent axedwarf (self defense). I don't think there are enough animals to get him all the way, so we'll swap him out for spear so he doesn't go over on the axe skill. I'm hoping to get him to accomplished or great ambusher before he comes out and get the animal population to run up again.

The rest of the dwarves are busy making improvements to the fortress. Not important to Morul, but fortresses matter too. The fortress is built inside the bottomless pit and has a central open core which is cross-shaped, with green glass catwalks leading out to soap platforms which are the dining areas. The walls exposed to the central core are being replaced with clear glass windows (I've got 600 bars of pearlash to use up)

The next skill I'm concerned about is animal care. Once hunting is done, hopefully in about 2 years, I'm going to train up some war dogs, toss them into a 4 story pit and then assign them to Morul to care for. 4 stories seems like the right height for yellow/red wounds but not fatalities.

There are relatively few labor skills remaining - Animal Care, Fish Cleaning, Fish Dissection (which I'm still worried about), Farming (half done), Fishing, Soap Making (need more wood for more lye, now importing both wood and lye), Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, Metalcrafting, Gem Setting, Woodcrafting, Siege Engineering, Ambushing (ongoing), Plant Gathering (slow, but easy), Architecture, Pump Operating, Strand Extracting (very slow), Record Keeper, Organizer.

There's enough wood to get woodcrafting and siege engineering done, but none would be left to get all the lye needed for soap making. That might take 5-10 years yet to accumulate, so once the hunting is done, I plan on flooding the hunting area from the nearby underground river for a tree farm. Architecture is a real pain because it can't be easily automated (I'll make a script to mass build supports), but most of the metal/crafty skills won't take more than a season each, and the administrative skills and pump operating will be very fast as well.

18th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter - Miner
19th Limestone, 206, Early Autumn - Woodcutter
27th Granite, 207, Early Spring - Appraiser
9th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn - Bone Carver
11th Granite, 208, Early Spring - Furnace Operator
27th Opal, 208, Mid Winter - Engraver
5th Granite, 209, Early Spring - Carpenter
24th Timber, 209, Late Autumn - Mason
13th Opal, 209, Mid-Winter - Weaver
14th Obsidian, 209, Late Winter - Dyer
12th Granite, 210, Early Spring - Clothier
2nd Hematite, 211, Early Summer - Miller
10th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Bowyer
26th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Cook
20th Felsite, 212, Late Spring - Brewer
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Milker
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Cheese Maker
13th Timber, 214, Late Autumn - Thresher
13th Obsidian, 214, Late Winter - Trapper
23rd Felsite, 215, Late Spring - Metalsmith
6th Opal, 215, Mid-Winter - Glassmaker
5th Sandstone, 216, Mid-Autumn - Wood Burning
12th Timber, 216, Late Autumn - Animal Dissector
13th Granite, 217, Early Spring - Lye Maker
25th Malachite, 217, Mid-Summer - Potash Maker
8th Sandstone, 217, Mid-Autumn - Siege Operator
27th Timber, 217, Late Autumn - Leatherworker
25th Hematite, 218, Early Summer - Animal Training
21st Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn - Tanning
27th Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn - Butcher
18th Granite, 219, Early Spring - Gem Cutter
23rd Felsite, 219, Late Spring - Mechanic
4th Limestone, 219, Early Autumn - Stonecrafter

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2009, 01:29:34 pm »

(Morul)'s not terribly happy losing his bed and getting constantly attacked...

Hmm.  Is there any way you could set up a bedroom inside the hunting area, possibly with one or two no-critter doors to let him get some undisturbed sleep?

I know that's just a little fiddly, but Morul's worked so hard, he deserves a few creature comforts.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2009, 01:35:51 pm »

Yeah, I thought of setting up one of the rooms down here to be a bedroom, but I figured he'd only be down for 2-3 seasons before the animal population needed to recover, and he'd get back to normal during that time. It came on a bit faster than expected, so I might toss one of the masterwork beds down here for the next pass.

In order to let him leave, I need to herd the animals back into their pen, which is goddamn slow, and requires opening up an entrance to the fortress, so the timing needs to be right, and the fewer animals to herd, the better, so I'll let him be for a while longer. Another 100 kills if I can manage it. He's got plenty of food and booze and a table to eat at, so that at least is good.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2009, 04:27:34 pm »

Animal care is also easy; if there is a dwarf with it enabled, and there is an injured pet, and the dwarf is idle, the dwarf will go and stand next to the animal, gaining skill but not healing the animal. Theres basically no way to heal animals in DF right now.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2009, 09:46:31 pm »

Shouldn't you be letting him tantrum in the middle of the hunting, you want him to get legondary thrower, right?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2009, 09:54:06 pm »

3 tantrums and a dwarf snaps. Legendary thrower is impossible to have on a sane dwarf without DC.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2009, 12:02:34 am »

three ever?
or three in a span of X years?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2009, 08:46:51 am »

3 tantrums and a dwarf snaps. Legendary thrower is impossible to have on a sane dwarf without DC.
Depends on personality.  I once locked a Countess Consort with the "Quick to anger" personality tag in a small unfinished room with a large supply of food.  She threw repeated tantrums constantly for years without going mad.  Not one long tantrum, not berserk, just repeated small tantrums and lots of throwing things and smashing furniture.  I didn't think check to see what her throwing skill was after that.  I've also had dwarves go melancholy without tantruming once.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2009, 04:33:06 pm »

Yeah, its mostly luck and personality. I find that after 3 tantrums the average dwarf is gonna go insane soon. Recruit them. Hilarity ensues.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2009, 04:40:00 pm »

Yeah, some dwarves beserk, others melancholy and others tantrum.  I've had a melancholy without tantrumming.  Poor guy kept trying to through himself down a 1 z level cliff.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2009, 01:30:39 am »

26th Hematite, 221, Early Summer

After futzing around a bit, Morul became a legendary Siege Engineer. Time to set up the ballista...

24th Slate, 222, Mid-Spring

Through unmatched carnage, Morul has become a legendary ambusher. We had planned on flooding the hunting arena to make a tree farm, but with another population recovery it would be very suitable for training Morul up in some of the riskier weapon skills such as spear.

Next two non-trivial ones to work on are herbalist and animal care. Time to chuck a few war dogs off a cliff...

18th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter - Miner
19th Limestone, 206, Early Autumn - Woodcutter
27th Granite, 207, Early Spring - Appraiser
9th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn - Bone Carver
11th Granite, 208, Early Spring - Furnace Operator
27th Opal, 208, Mid Winter - Engraver
5th Granite, 209, Early Spring - Carpenter
24th Timber, 209, Late Autumn - Mason
13th Opal, 209, Mid-Winter - Weaver
14th Obsidian, 209, Late Winter - Dyer
12th Granite, 210, Early Spring - Clothier
2nd Hematite, 211, Early Summer - Miller
10th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Bowyer
26th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Cook
20th Felsite, 212, Late Spring - Brewer
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Milker
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Cheese Maker
13th Timber, 214, Late Autumn - Thresher
13th Obsidian, 214, Late Winter - Trapper
23rd Felsite, 215, Late Spring - Metalsmith
6th Opal, 215, Mid-Winter - Glassmaker
5th Sandstone, 216, Mid-Autumn - Wood Burning
12th Timber, 216, Late Autumn - Animal Dissector
13th Granite, 217, Early Spring - Lye Maker
25th Malachite, 217, Mid-Summer - Potash Maker
8th Sandstone, 217, Mid-Autumn - Siege Operator
27th Timber, 217, Late Autumn - Leatherworker
25th Hematite, 218, Early Summer - Animal Training
21st Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn - Tanning
27th Sandstone, 218, Mid-Autumn - Butcher
18th Granite, 219, Early Spring - Gem Cutter
23rd Felsite, 219, Late Spring - Mechanic
4th Limestone, 219, Early Autumn - Stonecrafter
26th Hematite, 221, Early Summer - Siege Engineer
24th Slate, 222, Mid-Spring - Ambusher

Remaining labor skills:

Animal Care
Fish Cleaning
Fish Dissection
Farming
Fishing
Soap Making
Weaponsmithing
Armorsmithing
Metalcrafting
Gem Setting
Woodcrafting
Plant Gathering
Architecture
Pump Operating
Strand Extracting
Record Keeper
Organizer
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:36:58 am by Martin »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2009, 02:20:51 am »

Depends on personality.  I once locked a Countess Consort with the "Quick to anger" personality tag in a small unfinished room with a large supply of food.  She threw repeated tantrums constantly for years without going mad.  Not one long tantrum, not berserk, just repeated small tantrums and lots of throwing things and smashing furniture.  I didn't think check to see what her throwing skill was after that.  I've also had dwarves go melancholy without tantruming once.
Hah, dwarven hysterical bitch. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2009, 07:10:44 am »

Fishing may present a problem. When I got a legendary fisherdwarf, he depopulated the sea(!!!). Make sure that not all the fishies rot before Morul begins to clean fish. The upside is that in about 5 minutes, he'll have contributed enough raw fish to get himself up to about proficient at least.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2009, 08:06:34 am »

Hah, dwarven hysterical bitch. ;-)
The weird thing is, hysterical bitch she may have been, she was the longest-surviving noble in the fortress.  I threw all the nobles in that fort in locked caves.  All the others went melancholy after a bit, but she was still alive and tantruming years later.  I suspect the frequent small joy she got from throwing and smashing things kept her mood from getting bad enough to go melancholy.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2009, 11:41:16 am »

Are you forgetting plain old health care?  make a legendary doctor as well.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 71