Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260332 times)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2009, 01:18:23 pm »

How about an "official" modded copy for the competition?

I propose that "strand + flux = raw adamantium" be the reaction modded in.

We could, otherwise, make the few 'hardest' ones to be bonus, or optional. 

Using the same kind of point scheme used in the sims for competitions, every season is -100 points.  The point values for the optional ones are a matter for debate.  Start it at +x for dabbling, and award +x again for each levelup on the ability.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2009, 01:22:01 pm »

27 skills in 16 years... That is pretty damn impressive.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2009, 03:07:16 pm »

How about an "official" modded copy for the competition?

I propose that "strand + flux = raw adamantium" be the reaction modded in.

I think Strand + Steel Bar(s?) + Platinum Bar(s?) would be better, just to maximize the effort it would take to un-strand it, what with making steel taking 3 jobs and platinum is so rare with a high weight making it difficult to import in large quantities. Maybe even add soap as well.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2009, 09:46:51 pm »

Well, in this challenge adding soap isn't a challenge. I think each stack of tallow counts as one job, so I'm anticipating somewhere around 2500-3000 bars of soap to get legendary soaper. Adding steel would be a huge challenge due to the insane amount of wood you already need to acquire. I originally estimated 3,000 trees to get all skills, but I think it's going to be closer to 6,000 now. I've got 10-12 woodland tiles to work with, which is quite a bit, and I'm getting 1000 wood every 3-4 years. Either you'd need a large heavily forested map to make sure that completing the challenge fastest wasn't dependent on timber management, or you need to go quickly for a massive subterranean tree farm (which you might need to do anyway to create a hunting area).

And it's going to be hard enough to get a workable map with chasm, etc. to have to worry about platinum - or possibly even that volume of steel. Short of requiring orc mod, getting that much iron can be hard on quite a few maps. I'm fine with that - I added it specifically to have a reliable source of metal and still retain a military challenge without worrying about Morul out gathering plants getting jumped by a dozen gobbos.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2009, 12:38:58 am »

I'm going to stick with flux + adamantium, not so much to make it easier then you sugested, just it strikes me as organic, and takes up an item that would be valauble to you otherwise.

If you used finished steel you could get it from any number of places.  Flux is itself rare, and important.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2009, 02:47:46 am »

No progress to report as the wild animals were moved from the roof to the hunting area on the lowest z-level today.

I counted 390 total animals, all pathing around 200 tiles from their pens to the nearest edge of the map, via a tightly closed door. It took 27 game days to get all but 10 of them (injured and passing out constantly) into the new pen. My less than a month old machine took 13 hours to process those 27 days. We're talking ocean draining lag, here. Once the bridges were raised and the doors locked, we're back at a gajillion FPS. Progress will now resume, and hopefully ambushing will be more efficient. I'm going to lock Morul into the animal run with a butcher shop on the roof. Need to get this animal population down to under 50.

It's tempting to turn the champions loose down there for an entry in the bloodiest battle. Though I guess if I wanted to do that right, I could turn off trap_avoid from the orcs and cage them. I could probably get 100 per year between the two sieges. Maybe once Morul hits legendary shield user...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2009, 03:28:05 am »

Sounds pretty incredible.  Is Morul running around at a ridiculous speed (I hear agility can go over the top displayed level)?  Has he received an injury yet, and recovered in a few frames?  Also, it may be a good chance to test how much strength affects damage.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2009, 10:27:23 am »

Morul is fast, but I don't think any faster than any of the others (everyone but a few kids are legendary, mostly due to not having much for the others to do early on so they all became legendary comedians)

I don't think he's received an injury yet. I've kept him far away from the orcs, so his only real chance for injury is hunting and either he's never been injured doing that or he healed so quickly I didn't notice.

We'll be able to have some fun once he's done pitting him against ridiculous numbers of orcs, and there are supposedly some extra special friends down in the HFS on this map.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2009, 11:39:39 am »

If it ever turns out that he heals faster than fire damages, do you have any plans for a blind !!Morul!! running around the fort for 50 years?

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2009, 11:52:22 am »

gotta be a problem when hes drinking booze then?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2009, 12:11:04 pm »

certainly less fun for his wife.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2009, 06:41:27 pm »

It's important to remember that altho' they are listed as maxed out, Toady has stated that they can keep improving invisibly beyond the max listed.  Experience keeps accumulating.

If that's right, then he's well on his way to being 'Superdwarf'.

'Faster than a speeding bolt!' (Better than Perfectly Agile)
'More powerful than a buffed-up megabeast! (Better than Ultra Mighty)
'Able to leap tall...' er... maybe not.

But still, he's going to be zipping around the map at the speed of light, carrying a block of stone with each finger, and if anyone attacks him, the weapons will just bounce off...

Faster than a Dwarven bullet,
Louder than an atom smasher!
Adamantium plated boiling metal,
Better than a thousand tresheeeeeeeeeers!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:47:31 pm by Raz »
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2009, 12:46:54 pm »

This is epic...

He should be able to take on Megabeasts by himself by the end of it...

Kudos
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2009, 04:31:48 am »

This is epic...

Kudos

Champions can easily take megabeasts solo. Even if they are damblock 100 or something. Reference: Nist Akath.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

ChazzyBurger

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist cancels return kill:Interrupted by zombie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2009, 08:27:04 am »

This is epic...

Kudos

Champions can easily take megabeasts solo. Even if they are damblock 100 or something. Reference: Nist Akath.

Sorry, should've made it more apparant megabeastS, as in plural. And not dragons, real Bronze guys. 5 of them.

Martin, do it now!!! :P
Perpeptual Motion Machines

Dwarf Fortress' way of saying "Up Yours!" to physics
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 71