Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260325 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2009, 09:40:35 pm »

I've got every seasonal save.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2009, 01:27:13 am »

I wonder... got a windy path where he can see your huntable animals right away and sneak a really long way towards them?

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2009, 01:40:02 am »

This is epic.

Also, animal training should be extremely quick. Just set tame animal on repeat, and they'll constantly tame the same animal over and over, gaining skill about as quickly as wrestlers become legendary. Do you still need bins? Have him start forging aluminum bins; fucking tears through the Metalsmith ranks, and useful too!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 01:56:48 am »

13th Granite, 217, Early Spring

Soap is going to take a while. Estimating now 2400 trees to complete the task, about 4x expected. Lye, on the other hand, is easy. Legendary lye maker. The hunting just isn't working well. The arena is too small, so Morul spends too little time in ambush and kills too many animals in self defense. The miners are now excavating a deep underground area that will encompass 8 embark tiles. That should be large enough for the 200-odd animals we now have. The challenge will be to get them to follow the path from the roof down. It works reliably, but things really slow down when they are on the move. Probably another year before it's all dug out.

And fish dissecting may elude us. It doesn't appear that any moghoppers spawn in our biomes. Still trying, but I suspect that is a bust. Poor planning on that one.

25th Malachite, 217, Mid-Summer

Working on the ash chain, Morul got Potash Maker taken care of today. Now out of bins with a slaughtered trade caravan on the doorstep thanks to the orcs. Might need to use that new underground hunting arena for storage. I think it's time to start clearing some stone...

8th Sandstone, 217, Mid-Autumn

Morul eliminated a few hundred stone becoming a legendary siege operator. The haulers needed a break to haul in wood. Again.

27th Timber, 217, Late Autumn

Got a little carried away on the sand bags and needed to replenish the stock of bag. Morul cranked out a few hundred leather bags and hit legendary leatherworker.

Many of the kids have now grown up, so there's around 40 supporting dwarves now. 5 of the 8 48x48 segments of the hunting arena are dug out, and are steadily getting cleared of stone (we ran out of stone from earlier excavation, so it's needed). We need some doors and hatch covers built to seal off the animal run down from the roof, but hopefully we can move them down before end of winter. There's now some 200+ wild animals and that move is going to lag horribly.

Back to some low-labor tasks, maybe record keeper, so the hunting area can get finished up quickly.

18th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter - Miner
19th Limestone, 206, Early Autumn - Woodcutter
27th Granite, 207, Early Spring - Appraiser
9th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn - Bone Carver
11th Granite, 208, Early Spring - Furnace Operator
27th Opal, 208, Mid Winter - Engraver
5th Granite, 209, Early Spring - Carpenter
24th Timber, 209, Late Autumn - Mason
13th Opal, 209, Mid-Winter - Weaver
14th Obsidian, 209, Late Winter - Dyer
12th Granite, 210, Early Spring - Clothier
2nd Hematite, 211, Early Summer - Miller
10th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Bowyer
26th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Cook
20th Felsite, 212, Late Spring - Brewer
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Milker
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Cheese Maker
13th Timber, 214, Late Autumn - Thresher
13th Obsidian, 214, Late Winter - Trapper
23rd Felsite, 215, Late Spring - Metalsmith
6th Opal, 215, Mid-Winter - Glassmaker
5th Sandstone, 216, Mid-Autumn - Wood Burning
12th Timber, 216, Late Autumn - Animal Dissector
13th Granite, 217, Early Spring - Lye Maker
25th Malachite, 217, Mid-Summer - Potash Maker
8th Sandstone, 217, Mid-Autumn - Siege Operator
27th Timber, 217, Late Autumn - Leatherworker

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 02:08:09 am »

This is epic.

Also, animal training should be extremely quick. Just set tame animal on repeat, and they'll constantly tame the same animal over and over, gaining skill about as quickly as wrestlers become legendary. Do you still need bins? Have him start forging aluminum bins; fucking tears through the Metalsmith ranks, and useful too!

Holy crap, I had no idea that would work. I've been taming war dogs, butchering most of them, and waiting for the next generation and repeating. It's getting there, just slow. But I now have a meat stockpile next to a cage and he's just taming away...

Metalsmith is already done - and I have just enough bars to get through the 3 remaining metal skills considering remelting everything. I do blacksmith using buckets - only one bar of metal each, and you get half back when you melt it.

I think the subterranean hunting arena will work - it's massive - a full excavation of 8 embark tiles. The problem is the sheer number of wild animals I have captive - over 200, so it's hard for Morul to ambush one without being interrupted, so he runs and gets interrupted by another, etc. With this much room it should work okay. He's close to butcher and tanner already, so those will fill in soon. I need to get on fishing.

I'm considering if I can mod anything to get fish dissection now that I've concluded I have no moghoppers.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 02:14:38 am »

I'm considering if I can mod anything to get fish dissection now that I've concluded I have no moghoppers.
Gonna extract turtle wax?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 07:01:42 am »

The wiki claims (? - under "knife") that if you equip a dwarf with a knife, they can learn Knife User skill.  Not sure about that - but if so, that's going to be a tough one. 

Unless the goblins leave you a silver practice dagger, or the elves trade you a wooden one. 

Meh, find the SuperDwarvenly Toughest SOB you can, armor them up in layered MW chain and plate, and spar away!

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2009, 07:04:06 am »

It would seem to me that a knife would function like a sword, only upping sword user skill, just like a dagger does. I could be wrong though, as I've never even seen or heard about a knife in dwarf fortress before.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2009, 07:13:19 am »

That seems like something you would do in adventurer mode. Equipping dwarves with knives in fortress mode would require some way to activate weapon and labor preferences not available in the game. I think that's something you'd have to do with Dwarf Foreman, I think.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2009, 07:46:10 am »

Don't forget, you'll have to make him throw a bunch of tantrums to get legendary thrower...  ;D
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2009, 08:47:59 am »

How to solve strand extraction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also think you might be able to smelt moghoppers, but I'm not sure. Or just add the relevant extract bits in the raws to another vermin.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2009, 12:43:57 pm »

I don't think you can add smelter reactions after worldgen, but I was going to try doing that. I should have thought of it before I started. I might have turtles giving up mogjuice. We'll see how that goes.

You realize that once this is complete, there will need to be competitions to see who can match the feat in the fewest number of game years.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2009, 12:50:06 pm »

I don't think you can add smelter reactions after worldgen, but I was going to try doing that. I should have thought of it before I started.
You can't add them, but you can completely modify an existing one. Simply change the reaction that makes rose gold bars.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2009, 03:29:48 pm »

If there is a competition for fastest, it will have to be in an unmodded world, unending adamantite and extracted from turtles would make the competition too easy.

As a stupid dwarf trick it's fine...
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2009, 04:00:56 pm »

Well, finding a site with 600 raw to extract is no small feat, and I checked the raws and even if you had a sinister location with a zillion pools, it doesn't look as though enough moghoppers would spawn only in summers to get you to legendary. It'd be wicked hard, at least.

So I think reactions for both of those would be necessary. And maybe to increase the purring maggot population as well - I'm positive that there are no more fire snakes on my map - those baited traps sat for seasons untouched, when they before wouldn't go more than a week before being triggered in one way or another. With a smaller chasm, I might have extinguished the maggot population as well.

So some modification would probably be necessary, but yes, it should be limited. I could have increased his speed and been far further along by now, etc. I'd be okay taking strands and smelting them back to raw or something like that. It doesn't increase your total amount, but gives you enough to skill up on.

I'll try Martians mod once I crack the HFS. I've yet to find it on this map.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 71