Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260300 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 02:08:08 am »

...Morul finally became both a legendary milker, but also a legendary cheese maker, each a rather rare achievement among dwarves.

Yeah, not something I'd expect anyone to brag about.

How many dwarves are supporting this effort? An entire 200?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 03:02:56 am »

24 laborers, 25 children, 1 noble, and Morul. I didn't want too many nobles to piss me off, and the fortress runs pretty quickly now.

Morul is keeping the place pretty busy and I rotate out tasks depending on workload. Cleaning up after a siege, I give Morul something that doesn't require much support. But even so, the fortress has 2,000 wood stacked, and there are 5 masons/miners dedicated primarily to expanding the fortress, so they don't lend much help to Morul. Mostly they're making square footage to store crap in (and there's stuff everywhere)

Right now the hunters are continuing to expand the hunting arena. I tried out the current setup and the space was too small. I let the horse population get too big and they harass him too much when he hunts them, so I'm tripling the arena size. Hopefully he can thin the numbers down enough to make it work. I have about 100 wild animals in 3 different arenas, so that's a good start, but it's time to thin the herd.

I need to bait about 200 more traps (another dwarf is doing that) to finish off animal dissecting and then get started on catching moghoppers. I've run through the 2nd generation of dogs for training and gotten up to proficient animal trainer. If I get ambushing done first, I'll trap and tame the wild animals to speed that up.

Slowly the annoying skills are falling away. Hunting, animal and fish dissecting, animal training, herbalist, and animal care are the most annoying left to do. Strand extraction is just slow, and the rest should be pretty straightforward. The metal skills are very fast - I put the forge and the smelter next to each other, and eliminate stockpiles. The dungeon master melts down everything that Morul makes, and Morul can pick up the bars from the smelter. I just need to mass designate melt the forge now and then. Blacksmith happened in one season.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 07:15:17 am »

Morul. Another name to add to the annals. His name will sit next to Urist, Captain Ironblood etc... This thread is full of legendary.
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2009, 07:57:23 am »

Can we get a screenshot of his character screen showing his stats?  Or even a screenshot from Dwarf Manager?  He's got to be a titan among dwarves.  I would give him good odds of surviving toe-to-toe with a dragon at this point.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

stormbringer951

• Bay Watcher
  • Semper Dwarfius
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:56 am »

He is going to be a killer, sparring in the barracks. Maybe wrestling before giving him a pointy / heavy object to teamkill other dwarves?
ahh, the internet, where all that you need to aquire the blueprints of war-capable submarines is an email account
Ironblood vs Morul. Natural badassery vs intense lifetime training. Nothing will survive.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2009, 10:01:37 am »

well he doesnt get any better as ultra-mighty is the best strenght and so on and i think he have them maxed out. and if you have a meeting hall all dwarves get these because of the speech skills.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2009, 10:50:20 am »

Has Morul had any time to sit down and chat with his fellow dwarves?
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2009, 12:21:29 pm »

Has Morul had any time to sit down and chat with his fellow dwarves?

No, not really. I tend to yank him off of breaks as well. He's competent in the social skills but that's it. I've found that they fill in naturally during sparring since they cycle on and off sparring. He's been maxed out on stats since 204 or so.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2009, 02:34:02 am »

6th Opal, 215, Mid-Winter

Production of glass vials for animal extraction and raw glass for gem cutting has made Morul a legendary glassmaker. There are bags freakin' everywhere!

5th Sandstone, 216, Mid-Autumn

The elves can't be happy with us. Morul just became a legendary wood burner as soap making has begun in earnest. The central dining spaces will be soap platforms over the bottomless pit. Hunting is slow going. Looks like around 15 passes will be needed an each pass requires 2 years for the population to recover. That's a lot longer to start on military actions than we had hoped.

12th Timber, 216, Late Autumn

I think we've exterminated the fire snake population, but Morul became a legendary animal dissector in the process. A bin of liquid fire is worth about 10K, and there's dozens of full bins. Makes trading a breeze. This was one of the harder skills to acquire and animal trapping is thankfully now at a close. Lots of fish trapping yet to do.

18th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter - Miner
19th Limestone, 206, Early Autumn - Woodcutter
27th Granite, 207, Early Spring - Appraiser
9th Sandstone, 207, Mid-Autumn - Bone Carver
11th Granite, 208, Early Spring - Furnace Operator
27th Opal, 208, Mid Winter - Engraver
5th Granite, 209, Early Spring - Carpenter
24th Timber, 209, Late Autumn - Mason
13th Opal, 209, Mid-Winter - Weaver
14th Obsidian, 209, Late Winter - Dyer
12th Granite, 210, Early Spring - Clothier
2nd Hematite, 211, Early Summer - Miller
10th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Bowyer
26th Sandstone, 211, Mid-Autumn - Cook
20th Felsite, 212, Late Spring - Brewer
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Milker
12th Limestone, 214, Early Autumn - Cheese Maker
13th Timber, 214, Late Autumn - Thresher
13th Obsidian, 214, Late Winter - Trapper
23rd Felsite, 215, Late Spring - Metalsmith
6th Opal, 215, Mid-Winter - Glassmaker
5th Sandstone, 216, Mid-Autumn - Wood Burning
12th Timber, 216, Late Autumn - Animal Dissector

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2009, 07:22:45 am »

I absolutely love this idea. Honestly. This is by far the best project I have seen anyone undertake.
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
The Ballad of Morul (w/ apologies to Irving Berlin)
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2009, 09:55:16 am »

Anything you can do, Morul does better
Morul does everything better than you

No he can't!
Yes he can.
No he can't!
Yes he can.
No he can't
Yes he can, yes he can!

He's an engraver, a cook, an appraiser.
He's also a greater ☼grate☼-maker than you.

No he ain't!
Yes he is.
No he ain't!
Yes he is.
No he ain't!
Yes he is, yes he is!

He can make a ☼crossbow☼
from a dragon's big toe,
then make you matching ☼armor☼
from the dragon's femur!
He can make you ☼bread☼ and ☼cheese☼.
...And a steel ☼dirk☼?
And all of it masterwork!

Any skill you skilled up, he's skilled up higher
Morul's a much better Dyer than you.

He'll decorate your well-dyed cloth ☼<<☼apparel☼>>☼,
make a wood ☼barrel☼ and fill it with ☼brew☼.

No he can't!
Yes he can.
No he can't!
Yes he can.
No he can't
Yes he can, yes he caaaaaaan!

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2009, 04:23:41 pm »

well he doesnt get any better as ultra-mighty is the best strenght and so on and i think he have them maxed out...

It's important to remember that altho' they are listed as maxed out, Toady has stated that they can keep improving invisibly beyond the max listed.  Experience keeps accumulating.

No, not really. I tend to yank him off of breaks as well. He's competent in the social skills but that's it.

You might want to designate meeting areas around him - an audience/gallery of sorts, to keep him company, and see if he can't improve social skills that way.  Would also cut down on his break time, or at least the travel time to/from.

Can't be Leonardo Dwarvinci if he isn't a Legendary Conversationalist.

Kinnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2009, 07:18:21 pm »

It's important to remember that altho' they are listed as maxed out, Toady has stated that they can keep improving invisibly beyond the max listed.  Experience keeps accumulating.

If that's right, then he's well on his way to being 'Superdwarf'.

'Faster than a speeding bolt!' (Better than Perfectly Agile)
'More powerful than a buffed-up megabeast! (Better than Ultra Mighty)
'Able to leap tall...' er... maybe not.

But still, he's going to be zipping around the map at the speed of light, carrying a block of stone with each finger, and if anyone attacks him, the weapons will just bounce off...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2009, 07:35:05 pm »

(I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it from the wiki.  I'm not skilled enough to do first-person analysis of the code.)

(And, actually, he would get injured - but he'd heal up before the next frame.)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2009, 08:26:34 pm »

Honestly, we need TWO copies of the save preserved

ONE with him before military
one of him after.
If you can get him just before he masters a weapon too much to STOP being military, and make a 'premilitary' save of that, it would make him more amazing.
But when he's a killing machine, he'll never do anything but kill.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 71