Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 71

Author Topic: Presenting: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World  (Read 260348 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quest: The Most Interesting Dwarf in the World
« Reply #660 on: August 08, 2009, 05:12:28 pm »

Some were asking (somewhere) about Moruls's suite.

Well, construction is coming along very quickly now. The bottom half is now constructed, but not yet fully furnished. So far no stone has been used in the construction (nor do I expect any will, but we'll see what the color palette demands). Steel is the primary material, with adamantine and glass. Nothing but masterwork or artifact furniture will be used.

I'm working out an experimental feature now (I hope it works, there'll be no going back if it doesn't) based on work developed on the forum here. It'll affect the aesthetics somewhat, but I think it's a good trade-off. Morul has his own training area and the usual collection of rooms. One completely steel level is dedicated to storage of artifacts. There's only one approach to the barracks level and the approach to Morul's suite is at the back of the barracks. The artifact storage is near the bottom of the suite. Anyone who can sneak down there and out deserves what they can secure.

I wish there was a way to grow trees on muddied above-ground tiles, as I'd like to devote the top level to an arboretum, but I don't think that's possible. Anyone? There's no way to collapse a soil layer down the middle of an exposed magma pipe, so that option is out.

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 08, 2009, 05:15:02 pm »

Trees only grow on tiles that have a soil level underneath. So no.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 08, 2009, 05:19:04 pm »

What is moruls current age`?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 08, 2009, 06:23:24 pm »

I have no idea what his age is. We're now 47 years after embark. He has anywhere from a day to 100 years more to live.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 08, 2009, 09:46:49 pm »

An interesting thing happened today - a pack of rhesus macaques showed up. Now, I had trapped a mess of them before and bred them as part of Morul's hunter training, but during his weapon training he accidentally wiped them out. I had thought that once you purged enough wildlife from the map that they were gone forever, but perhaps not. This is the first native wildlife I've seen in a good 20 years.

I wonder if I should turn Morul loose on the horses and mountain goats, wipe them out, and see if they return as well.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 08, 2009, 10:31:10 pm »

It seems that the idea that wildlife completely depletes is based on less than 47-50 years of playtime.  It would make sense to me if wildlife didn't die out, but rather might show up again after a length of time; we just wouldn't know about that too well, since I don't think many people play that long.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 09, 2009, 06:39:26 am »

I like your current avatar... makes me want to do some more of those animations... :D

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 09, 2009, 07:04:46 am »

Why is morul naked?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 09, 2009, 07:44:23 am »

Why is morul naked?

What does Morul have to be ashamed of?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 09, 2009, 11:40:20 am »

I like your current avatar... makes me want to do some more of those animations... :D

I really liked the animation, so when I thought of adding an avatar it was pretty obvious where to go. Thanks for making it.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 09, 2009, 11:42:31 am »

It's Morul, he's so good that he can wear whatever he feels like.  Including nothing.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 09, 2009, 12:17:38 pm »

ye but when i hear how awesome he is i always thinks of him armored to the teeth with all in adamant.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 09, 2009, 12:48:42 pm »

Armored in Adamantine plates? That's what you'd THINK from looking at him, but he's ACTUALLY naked. :)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:22 am »

Armored in Adamantine plates? That's what you'd THINK from looking at him, but he's ACTUALLY naked. :)

The difference is impossible to verify visually or with any conventional weapon.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 10, 2009, 10:26:01 pm »

Late Winter 248

Another siege. 3 squads of orcs, these upgraded to size 25/damblock 50. This squad was both a success and a massive failure. The goal of the upgraded orcs was to provide hard to kill targets for Morul to get his axe skill up on, but as you'll see, that was a catastrophic failure.

Pre siege:

1,693,527 xp
Wrestler 49 4793/5400
Shield User 47 1414/5200
Armor User 36 96/4100
Axeman 7 496/1200
Str 25, Agi 25, Tough 28

Post siege:

1,740,737 xp
Wrestler 53 543/5800
Shield User 49 3426/5400
Armor User 39 4215/4400
Axeman 7 525/1200
Str 26, Agi 26, Tough 28

The good: Morul picked up 2 attributes in a month. I think the cuts were at 1.70M and 1.74M, so he was most of the way there when he started and just slipped over when he ended, but still, one full attribute level is pretty significant in one season. 3+ skill levels on wrestling, 2.5 shield, and Just shy of 4 levels on armor. That's really very good.

The bad: Morul picked up only 30 points of axe. Basically he scored a single hit the entire time.

Looking at the combat formula, where I think I went wrong is that Morul's axe skill and the quality of the weapon aren't enough to score a hit against the much tougher orcs. His wrestling skill *is* high enough, so he ends up just swinging away and hitting air with the axe and he clears the floor with them when wrestling.  He wasn't fast clearing them, but he never got tired and never took an injury.

So, I need to dial the orcs *way* back, and upgrade them slowly as his skills go up.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 71